WI Mary Tudor born a boy instead of a girl?

Exacly said on the tin. I got the idea from the hilarius timeline "Now Blooms the tudor rose" by Space Oddity only it's Otl Queen Elizebeth born a boy instead of a girl. So how would history go differently? What would boy Mary Tudor's name be? Give me your opinions on the matter.

Exacly said on the tin. I got the idea from the hilarius timeline "Now Blooms the tudor rose" by Space Oddity only it's Otl Queen Elizebeth born a boy instead of a girl. So how would history go differently? What would boy Mary Tudor's name be? Give me your opinions on the matter.

Well first off Henry would stay married to Catherine of Aragon. Second England would stay catholic, or at least stay catholic longer. So no English reformation. The future Henry IX ( I assume that would be the boys name) would probably marry a French princess. Maybe Henry will find a reason to seize the monasteries, not sure if any other catholic countries did that. Also would find a way to be King of Ireland. That's of the top of my head sooo more would probably happen.

Henry may still do a sort of minor reformation in which the small monastaries and the ones where they've gone really lewd get closed down (possibly first suggesting this at Trent to try and take the wind out the reformation in some way, probably continuing even if that gets shot down).

The Great monastaries- Glastonbury, Fountains, Rivelaux, Jarrow, Hailes, Syon and so forth- are likely to remain for the time being though.

And whether or not Henry goes after the monasteries and such, what about English Protestants who are far more Protestant?

Burning them all at the stake might be bloody - and unpopular - work.

And whether or not Henry goes after the monasteries and such, what about English Protestants who are far more Protestant?

Burning them all at the stake might be bloody - and unpopular - work.
Then again this is Henry VIII we are talking about if he was really as bad as he is Now blooms the Tudor Rose so he might just do it...

Oh, he'd do it. Hell, IOTL, towards the end of his reign, you could get killed for being a Catholic--and for being a Lutheran or a Calvinist. So what would the result be?

Probably close to what happened in France. Protestantism starts out among the merchant classes, then spreads to some of the nobles. Eventually, you see uprisings--possibly even a war. Unless Henry VIII and IX are completely incompetent, they win, and England stays Catholic.

Oh, he'd do it. Hell, IOTL, towards the end of his reign, you could get killed for being a Catholic--and for being a Lutheran or a Calvinist. So what would the result be?

Probably close to what happened in France. Protestantism starts out among the merchant classes, then spreads to some of the nobles. Eventually, you see uprisings--possibly even a war. Unless Henry VIII and IX are completely incompetent, they win, and England stays Catholic.
...Wow he killed catholics, lutherans and calvinists!? How did he get away with killing everyone? What was a legal religion?!?

Henry may still do a sort of minor reformation in which the small monastaries and the ones where they've gone really lewd get closed down (possibly first suggesting this at Trent to try and take the wind out the reformation in some way, probably continuing even if that gets shot down).

The Great monastaries- Glastonbury, Fountains, Rivelaux, Jarrow, Hailes, Syon and so forth- are likely to remain for the time being though.

Indeed, monastery closings happened from time to time in the Middle Ages without it implying an attack on the Roman Catholic church's authority. The closing of the monasteries had as much to do with greed as religion, maybe more.

Henry pretty much went nuts in the 1540's, it seems. He had the Earl of Surrey executed more or less because he had the bad sense to imply in conversation that the king was mortal and would die some day.

Space Oddity, I think your reading of how Protestantism would develop in England is completely right. There would be some substantial number of Protestants, especially in London and other large towns, but the majority of the population and the monarchy will be Catholic. I wonder if English Protestants would emigrate in such a scenario, and where they would go?

Indeed, monastery closings happened from time to time in the Middle Ages without it implying an attack on the Roman Catholic church's authority. The closing of the monasteries had as much to do with greed as religion, maybe more.

Henry pretty much went nuts in the 1540's, it seems. He had the Earl of Surrey executed more or less because he had the bad sense to imply in conversation that the king was mortal and would die some day.

Space Oddity, I think your reading of how Protestantism would develop in England is completely right. There would be some substantial number of Protestants, especially in London and other large towns, but the majority of the population and the monarchy will be Catholic. I wonder if English Protestants would emigrate in such a scenario, and where they would go?

At the start of Mary I's reign in 1553 the majority of the population was Catholic It took decades to full convert England. Without protestantism being the state religion, I'd imagine it would evolve similar to the French Huguenots. A minority religion support by some nobles. Protestants would probably flee to Germany. If England stays catholic, could it cause other nations to remain catholic as well? Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, what made Protestantism so favorable to them?

Oh, yeah. I like to call Henry "England's Ivan the Terrible"--the similiarities are striking. Though Ivan wound up making an even bigger mess of his nation.

Depends. Francois, seeing himself surrounded by UltraCatholic powers, MIGHT stay sympathetic to the Reformation in this scenario. In time, he or his descendents could even schism off the Gallican Church, which would wind up occupying a place in the Reformation not unlike the Anglican Church. If that happens, the Puritans move to France.

But he might not. If that happens--Northern Germany and Scandinavia. Possibly Poland, and Eastern Hungary.

At the start of Mary I's reign in 1553 the majority of the population was Catholic It took decades to full convert England. Without protestantism being the state religion, I'd imagine it would evolve similar to the French Huguenots. A minority religion support by some nobles. Protestants would probably flee to Germany. If England stays catholic, could it cause other nations to remain catholic as well? Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, what made Protestantism so favorable to them?

Denmark and Sweden are already Protestant by this time, and they're staying that way. Switzerland is... a complicated situation. (Some towns are Protestant, some are Catholic.) Needless to say, 'why' they did so is complicated.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah. I like to call Henry "England's Ivan the Terrible"--the similiarities are striking. Though Ivan wound up making an even bigger mess of his nation.

Depends. If Francois, seeing himself surrounded by UltraCatholic powers, MIGHT stay sympathetic to the Reformation in this scenario. In time, he or his descendents could even schism off the Gallican Church, which would wind up occupying a place in the Reformation not unlike the Anglican Church. If that happens, the Puritans move to France.

But he might not. If that happens--Northern Germany and Scandinavia. Possibly Poland, and Eastern Hungary.

Denmark and Sweden are already Protestant by this time, and they're staying that way. Switzerland is... a complicated situation. (Some towns are Protestant, some are Catholic.) Needless to say, 'why' they did so is complicated.
Where they protestant before Henry broke away?