AHC: Flunk Sting's career on the 90's.

Well,this challenge wants you to make Sting's career flunk on the 90's!
Me,myself,thinks that his career can be quite-going down(but will rose again) if jaguar doesn't approach him for using his "desert rose" single on the famous Sting's Jaguar Ad.

What do you think?

It's kinda obvious (and it's earlier) but....

In July 1986, after being on hiatus for three years or so, The Police get together to record their follow-up to Synchronicity. Unfortunately, around this time, drummer Stuart Copeland falls from a horse during a polo match (so rock and roll!) and breaks his collar bone. Unable to play, he and Sting reportedly spend a couple of weeks arguing about which drum machine to use and the sessions end fruitlessly.

So, in the new timeline, Copeland is able to play. More importantly, the band manages to jell again and not (...as would be most likely...) fall to squabbling about something else. Sting gives the band the songs he would have used on his second solo album in 1987. The album is a smash success and after the tour to support it, the window of opportunity for Sting to become a smash solo artist closes.

Humbled, the former school teacher decides that being a regular old multi-millionaire isn't so bad, grits his teeth and manages to spend the rest of his career with the band. In doing so, the spot R.E.M. would have taken is blocked and they become one of those bands - like The Replacements or The Pixies - who achieve critical success but never quite break out.

Last edited:
Well,this challenge wants you to make Sting's career flunk on the 90's!
Me,myself,thinks that his career can be quite-going down(but will rose again) if jaguar doesn't approach him for using his "desert rose" single on the famous Sting's Jaguar Ad.

What do you think?

music_dune.jpg

Make Dune a bigger flop and it could kill his career.

Or maybe,the Brand New Day,and 10 Summoner's tales album is a flop.

(Yeah,His WTF-appearance as feyd rautha can kill his career.)

Sting's biggest hit of the 90's - really, his career - was Ten Summoner's Tales (1993). So any attempt to make this work has to take that out of the picture.

The obvious answer is to keep the Police's career going. That's a hard feat, given how contentious the personalities involved were; the centrifugal forces were too strong to sustain the band over the long run. And once The Dream of the Blue Turtles was a success, Sting realized that he no longer needed the Police as an outlet for his songwriting. He could find success without having to compromise with Stewart or Andy.

But if Blue Turtles doesn't happen - if Sting isn't able to make the project work - he might try harder to give the Police another go. But even so, I suspect the most you get out of the Police is another album or two. Sting will keep trying until he can find solo success.

Otherwise, your best bet is to spark Sting's interest in lute music a couple decades earlier...

To be honest I loathe Sting right from hearing Roxanne back in secondary school in in 78.

Perhaps after the Police break up he decides like many overblown stars that he could record himself reading the Falkirk phone book and go multi platinum. As a result he records Songs From the Labyrinth in the mid 80s.

Critical derision and miniscule sales come as a shock and he retires from the music business. By 2002 he reforms the Police but their time has passed and the comeback tour is limited to a number of small pubs in and around Tipton