Germans press on after Dunkirk

I just heard a speech by a survivor of the Blitz. He said that if the Germans had pressed on after Dunkirk, they could have taken Britain.
Is he right?

The British only started preparing properly for invasion after Dunkirk, so the Germans would have an advantage as compared to later on. There's still the Royal Navy though.

Anaxagoras

Banned
I just heard a speech by a survivor of the Blitz. He said that if the Germans had pressed on after Dunkirk, they could have taken Britain.
Is he right?

I assume he means destroying the BEF in the Dunkirk pocket. Either that or the Unmentionable Sea Mammal. The former is an interesting POD. The latter. . . not so much.

Then again, I'm pretty sure the Germans DID press on after Dunkirk. We might double check with the French.

Riain

Banned
The Germans pressed on to finish off thhe 50+ French divisions and their growing air force. Against this the disarmed 12 British divisions on the other side of the Channel aren't much.

The Germans pressed on to finish off thhe 50+ French divisions and their growing air force. Against this the disarmed 12 British divisions on the other side of the Channel aren't much.

And all they have to do is pass a narrow stretch of water and the worlds most powerful navy to get there...

BlondieBC

Banned
Taking the BEF at Dunkirk has a big impact. We have a thread on this in the last couple of weeks, just go back a few pages. Taking the UK out will take a few years, and involves not going to war with the USSR, assuming the USSR does not attack Germany while this is happening.

And all they have to do is pass a narrow stretch of water and the worlds most powerful navy to get there...

And gain control of the air.

Is he right?

I remember my mother telling me that in 1940 my grandfather once went to a Crazy Gang show, where he sang along to "Run Rabbit, Run", whilst thinking "This is crazy, the Germans are 20 miles away from Dover and the Army's buggered at the moment". That said, if they'd tried to invade after Dunkirk, that would have left the French with more time to reorganise and fortify the Somme line. And given the fact that the Kriegsmarine was on it's knees at the time, I suspect that the Unmentionable Sea Mammal would have expired on the spot.

Garrison

Donor
Taking the BEF at Dunkirk has a big impact. We have a thread on this in the last couple of weeks, just go back a few pages. Taking the UK out will take a few years, and involves not going to war with the USSR, assuming the USSR does not attack Germany while this is happening.

And those are big ifs given the characters of Hitler and Stalin. As has been pointed out in several threads the Germans can't 'roll on' they simply don't have the means to take Britain in 1940.

Riain

Banned
I think that the fact that they were going from England to France has to be considered since history seems to show that that is easier than going the other way.

Top Gear drove an amphibious Toyota Hilux across the Channnel, and they're idiots.

How hard can it be?!

They didn't have the Royal Navy in their way, not to mention they were using technology nor accessible to the Germans in 1940. Although even if the Germans could repeat Clarksons feat, an invasion force of 3 men isn't exactly nation conquering. :p

Anyone else played the game Blitzkrieg on the old Vic 64. it was made in the 80ths.

Hint, invading UK is impossible 9,9/10 times because of the RN that will sink your division wether it comes from Kiel or Dunkirk. I won against RN and the uk a total of one time and i played it lots and lots of times.

And my reward was a map of Russia

Milch's plan?

Milch presented a proposal to Goering on June 5th of an immediate airborne assault against Britain. He wanted to use all 2nd and 3rd LF assets to gains air superiority, take a few airfields with paratroopers, and fly in some Army units. Presumably, Once the Germans had forces on both sides, crossing would be easier or the huge coup the main would lead to a British peace offer. Goering presented the plan to Hitler, who dismissed it as unnecessary. The OKW staff would probably think it was too risky.

The Germans lost more than a third of their air transport fleet over the Netherlands and both 7. Flieger-division and 22. Luftlande-division were torn up, disorganised and had suffered heavy losses against the Dutch. Part fo the air transport fleet was also transporting supplies for Dietl's men at Narvik at the time.

I seriously doubt the Germans can land that many troops not fly in reinforcements and supplies at the time - the RAF is still very much a stronf force to reckon with - and depleting the frontlines will give the French time to reorganise. Especially the French air force was still strong, if given a few weeks to reorganise, it will be back in strength.

Presumably, Once the Germans had forces on both sides, crossing would be easier or the huge coup the main would lead to a British peace offer. Goering presented the plan to Hitler, who dismissed it as unnecessary. The OKW staff would probably think it was too risky.
Yeah, it would kind of fall over on the "gain air superiority" bit, they tried that OTL and it didn't quite work, and nor would it here, not once you figure in the fact that the British we preparing these areas specially, inwards facing bunkers, Picket Hamilton Forts, runway plows to tear up the runways and Bison and Armadillo armoured trucks. The situation the German Paras would have faced would not have been pretty, even once you've wrecked the RAF (unlikely in itself, maintaining a firm presence over a small area would mean leaving other areas mostly untouched).

Last edited:
During Dunkirk the Germans physically couldn't 'press on', never mind how poorly they would have done. The requisitions of the required transport craft only began about two weeks after Dunkirk, and the earliest they could have all been transported to a French port and everyone embarked was meant to be mid August, but turned into late September.

So unless you want everyone to swim or park tanks nose to nose on the decks of destroyers, this is a moot point. The Germans simply could not have pushed on immeduately after Dunkirk. If an ASB had landed them on the heels of the little armada rescuing the BEF, however, I grant you they would have had a great real of success until the main flaw of Sealion - the Royal fucking Navy is going to sit on your supply lines until you eat your own faeces or surrender - drives Hitler back into the sea.