George Washington only serves a single term as President

President Washington considered not stepping down at the expiration of his first term, and even asked Madison to write a farewell address for him. Of course, historically, Washington was convinced to remain President for another term. What if he had decided to indeed only serve one term? Where would have happened in 1792? Who would have been Washington's successor? Adams? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it using the search function, so I apologize in advance for that. Anyway, what are the implications of this?

President Washington considered not stepping down at the expiration of his first term, and even asked Madison to write a farewell address for him. Of course, historically, Washington was convinced to remain President for another term. What if he had decided to indeed only serve one term? Where would have happened in 1792? Who would have been Washington's successor? Adams? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it using the search function, so I apologize in advance for that. Anyway, what are the implications of this?
Interesting. I think him stepping down at the end of one term might be less effective than at the end of two.

Otls two term maximum tradition lasted until 1940, which is amazing for an unwritten rule. Imo, a single term tradition wouldnt last more than a generation, 25/30 years. Its just too tempting for a president to stay on and 'finish what he started', especially in wartime. In fact, 1812 if it happened would likely have the sitting president run again.

Then, once youve blown away gw's tradition, others will try for three or more.

I can see Adams winning in 1792. But with John Adams being John Adams, along with unfair comparisons to Wahington, I think there might be a chance of a Jefferson victory in 1796 if Adams runs for a second term. Then again Washington's decision could be viewed as a precedent for John Adams in which case some other Federalist may have a chance at being in the White House between 1797 and 1801.

The problem is, I believe, Washington's Popularity and History of Service. Washington never really wanted to be President in the First Place, but for many, including congress, he was the one person everybody could get behind and he was the only president who could get the job done initially. If he stepped down, I'm not sure who could fill his boots, espescially since the Whiskey Rebellion is coming up so soon after the next election. Would say, Adams have handled that any better? Or Jefferson? It could have blown up into a civil war if it were handled poorly, after all the insurrectionists were ARW veterans. If it does blow up, and Britain is feeling opportunistic, then might we even see a british reconquest?

One thought: if a one-term-rule becomes tradition, might it also become frequent that an ex-president seeks re-election after the break? Could the sitting president seek the office of Vice-President?

Later on, might political parties create "teams" which follow each other repeatedly? (à la Putin/Medwedew)