Catalonia becomes independent in 1714

Having followed these boards since quite a long time and motivated by the recent events in Catalonia, I've decided to design an alternate history scenario that gives Catalonia independence on 11 September 1714, the very day the Siege of Barcelona was won in OTL and thus marks the loss of autonomy Catalonia mourns about until today.

I'm not Spanish nor Catalan - I just have a huge interest in this area and in the Catalan culture. Also, I am not a history expert. So I'll gladly take any advice or constructive criticism. Be honest. I have no problem with someone ripping apart this construct of thoughts, because this is how I can learn from it.

If this proposed beginning isn't rejected from the beginning on, I'd like to extend the timeline in a history-book style. My main field of interest lies in politics, not military affairs, so expect a focus towards the first one. Wars will be briefly described, but I'm afraid I won't be able to give you detailed battleplans or technological backgrounds.

So here it is, my timeline attempt that would render Catalonia independent:

--

The war of the Spanish Succession erupted on 1 November 1700, when the Habsburg King Charles II of Spain died and did not leave a universal heir behind. There were many claims to the prestigious title of the Kingdom of Spain, but the two aspirants who were backed by European powers represented the two perhaps most powerful dynasties at that time: the house of Bourbon and the House of Habsburg.

The very close relations the deceased Charles II had to both the King of France, Louis XIV, and the archduke of Austria, Charles, raised fears of a Franco-Spanish superstate, or, in the latter case, the re-emergence of Charles’ V European empire. Indeed, the two main contestants for the Spanish throne were Philip, Duke of Anjou and grandson of Louis XIV, and Archduke Charles of Austria, the second son of Emperor Leopold I. Both heirs carried the likely risk of a European super-state which would significantly alter the balance of power on the continent.

When Charles II eventually breathed his last breath, he determined the Bourbon Philip, Duke of Anjou, to be his universal heir. Despite a Franco-British agreement and widespread fears of French dominance on the continent, he seized the throne, and through his aggressive trade policy against the Dutch and the English, he slowly triggered the War of the Spanish Succession.
Although initially lukewarm for supporting Charles’ claim to the throne, and facing an opposing Parliament, the English King William III negotiated the Treaty of Den Haag in 1701 which was signed by England, Austria and the United Provinces. It recognized Philip’s claim to the throne, and, in turn, allotted Austria the Italian territories and the Spanish Netherlands to the United Provinces.

Not soon after, however, Louis XIV recognised the son of William III’s precedessor James II as the king of England. This action alienated the English further and was the final step towards the War of the Spanish Succession.
The war was fought in many places, most notably the Low Countries, Bavaria (which aligned itself with France and the Bourbon dynasty) and Spain itself. The reader certainly will be bored by displays of extensive battles and tactical considerations. What matters, is the outcome, although great praise has to be given to the Duke of Marlborough, who led the British Army during the entire campaign, and Villars.

The Catalan Corts, which enjoyed great autonomy, stood up in favour of Archduke Charles, and Austrian troops landed in Barcelona in 1705. In the same year, Leopold I died and passed on the imperial crown of the Holy Roman Empire to his eldest son, Joseph I. Fears of a Spanish-Austrian superstate, however, remained contended, as the new Emperor produced two male heirs: Leopold Joseph (*1700) [point of divergence] and Maximilian Leopold (*1702). The war waged back and forth during the year, and, as neither side able to set the decisive blow, soon after the battle of Barcelona, which was besieged for more a year by loyal Spanish troops. The Allied soldiers won on November 11, 1714 and ended the siege. They did not, however, use this momentum to continue the war. Almost all war parties were exhausted after the constant waging and decided to negotiate the peace terms at a major conference in Strassbourg.

The parties gathered, ie. Great Britain (which was formed during the war), France, the United Provinces, Austria and Bavaria, agreed on the following terms:

• Philipp, Duke of Anjou, would remain King of Spain. He and his successors, however, would be excluded from the French line of inheritance, and vice versa.
• Austria would gain the Italian territories formerly held by Spain.
• Britain would gain Gibraltar.
• Catalonia was to become independent from the Bourbon’s rule and be ruled by Archduke Charles of Austria, the Alliance’s favoured claimant to the Spanish throne. Catalonia’s borders were as in OTL plus the Balearic Islands.
• the Spanish Netherlands were to be split between France and the United Provinces.

In the War of the Quadruple Alliance (1718-1720) , Britain, France, the Holy Roman Empire and the Dutch Republic fought together against a resurgent Spain that sought to regain Catalonia and Southern Italy. Spain’s ambitions, however, were quickly buried after a surprisingly clear victory for the Quadruple Alliance and Philip V had to concede defeat. The Alliance, once again, gave their assurances of help to Catalonia in case of another aggression from Spain.

Catalonia itself retained its domestic influence against their foreign King, Charles III of Habsburg, through the old institution of the Corts Catalanes, a powerful assembly of the Catalan nobility, clericals and military. Charles III had to concede important rights to them, such as the annual budget and the levy of troops. This made Catalonia, with its long tradition of the strong Corts, the second state after Great Britain, to maintain an independent and influential institution in the era of absolutism.

The legitimate heir of the Austrian Archduke Joseph I, Leonard Joseph inherited his father’s titles and became Emperor Leopold II in 1722. Catalonia remained closely aligned to Habsburg, whereas the Franco-British alliance forged by the Quadruple Alliance was no longer upheld. In 1733, the Bourbon Pact (Pacte de Famille, Pacto de Familia) was signed and thus a long-lasting alliance between the two Bourbon kings of France and Spain established. The small kingdom of Catalonia remained a painful thorn in their back as it barred the dynasty from exerting governance all along the Mediterranean coast from Malaga to Marseille.

Stanislaw Leszczynski was crowned King of Poland for the second time following the Polish War of Succession (1733-1737) in which Habsburg and Russia sought to maintain their influence in Poland by supporting August III of Saxony but ultimately failed.

---
I am aware that this short text covers a quite long periode, and that the pivotal conference isn't drescribed in detail. I thought I could leave the specific happenings at the conference leave up for discussion. :) However, the more we advance into the modern era, the more detailed my chapters should become.

1700.jpg

I can't tell - have you given Sardinia to Catalonia also? It isn't mentioned in your TL.

I wonder how likely this is - I genuinely don't know. My feelings are that if the Catalan Cortes did do this, and it received support from the Austrians, that the Duke of Anjou would simply throw a bit of a hissy fit and refuse to sanction a peace treaty unless the major nations agreed to sell out Catalonia and hand it back to him - and I suspect they would agree to in exchange for the end of the war, and a return to something approximating status quo.

If they did allow it to continue, would it really control the Balearics? I mean, this isn't the whole of the former Kingdom of Aragon that is declaring independence here, just one province. Would it really be able to exert control over the Balearics? Especially bearing in mind that OTL the British tool Minorca in exchange for their part in the war. Again, perhaps they would, I genuinely don't know but I am skeptical.

Final point - I wonder how long the Kingdom would last. Would it be able to survive beset on two sides by a Bourbon alliance which would surely want it dead and annexed?

Still, interesting premise. I'm always up for stories that involve a little bit of breaking up of the common major powers in Europe.

Nice! There are some issues with your Tuscany, Modena, Mantua and Montenegro, and I don't see why the Crimean Tatars are independent, but I understand you probably used a basemap so I'll assume it's not your fault. It'll be interesting to see how this develops, I'm looking forward to seeing how the breakup of the Franco-British alliance will shape things particularly with respect to the colonies later on :)

I can't tell - have you given Sardinia to Catalonia also? It isn't mentioned in your TL.

I wonder how likely this is - I genuinely don't know. My feelings are that if the Catalan Cortes did do this, and it received support from the Austrians, that the Duke of Anjou would simply throw a bit of a hissy fit and refuse to sanction a peace treaty unless the major nations agreed to sell out Catalonia and hand it back to him - and I suspect they would agree to in exchange for the end of the war, and a return to something approximating status quo.

If they did allow it to continue, would it really control the Balearics? I mean, this isn't the whole of the former Kingdom of Aragon that is declaring independence here, just one province. Would it really be able to exert control over the Balearics? Especially bearing in mind that OTL the British tool Minorca in exchange for their part in the war. Again, perhaps they would, I genuinely don't know but I am skeptical.

Final point - I wonder how long the Kingdom would last. Would it be able to survive beset on two sides by a Bourbon alliance which would surely want it dead and annexed?

Still, interesting premise. I'm always up for stories that involve a little bit of breaking up of the common major powers in Europe.

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention it in the text - Sardinia is given to Catalonia, too.

You're right that such an outcome of a war is very difficult to construct - which is why I've left open what exactly happens at the conference. The current timeline is nothing but a mere proposal, open to amendments. The whole peace deal, however, is constructed on the fact that there won't be neither a French nor an Austrian superpower, although it's clear that the Duke of Anjou is closely aligned to France, and Charles to his elder brother ruling in Vienna. So it's basically a deal splitting up Spain's possesions "more evenly".

I'm also wondering how the distinction between Catalonia and Aragon can be accomodated. You're right insofar as this isn't Aragon regaining independence, however, I think it's pretty clear the centre of the Catalan culture is Barcelona, and most of former Aragonese possessions (Balearic islands, Sardinia) would be transferred also. So, maybe it would be most of Aragon vested in a new name?

I'm also wondering how the distinction between Catalonia and Aragon can be accomodated. You're right insofar as this isn't Aragon regaining independence, however, I think it's pretty clear the centre of the Catalan culture is Barcelona, and most of former Aragonese possessions (Balearic islands, Sardinia) would be transferred also. So, maybe it would be most of Aragon vested in a new name?

True, though to assume that Aragon is uniform and that Catalonia would be Aragon reborn is I think a little off. From what I can see, the different regions of Aragon are fairly distinct and Catalonia would be much more interested in promoting itself as Catalonia than Aragon - besides, it would be a little spurious to claim to be the new Kingdom of Aragon when the place actually called Aragon is not within your borders. I'm not sure if they could effectively claim these places - certainly the Balears and Sardinians would want to make the choice of joining the new state themselves, rather than being told that they were a part of a state (Catalonia) which they had previously considered themselves the equal of, I'd say.

True, though to assume that Aragon is uniform and that Catalonia would be Aragon reborn is I think a little off. From what I can see, the different regions of Aragon are fairly distinct and Catalonia would be much more interested in promoting itself as Catalonia than Aragon - besides, it would be a little spurious to claim to be the new Kingdom of Aragon when the place actually called Aragon is not within your borders. I'm not sure if they could effectively claim these places - certainly the Balears and Sardinians would want to make the choice of joining the new state themselves, rather than being told that they were a part of a state (Catalonia) which they had previously considered themselves the equal of, I'd say.

What makes this easier is the fact that Catalonia wasn't exactly Aragon. The County of Barcelona (AKA Catalonia) was part of the Aragonese Crown but not part of the Kingdom of Aragon. Thus a separate administrative division already existed. So they are essentially a Kingdom out of the former lands of County of Barcelona.

Thanks for your great input. :)
My point wasn't that this new state is going to be Aragon without the region of Aragon itself - you're absolutely right there. The Balears and Sardinia would still be granted some rights of autonomy, I guess. The political structure, tha I still have to elaborate on, could be something resembling the former Aragon crown - with all parts being more or less equal. Then there still would be the name issue, though Aragon was also applied as the name for the whole Crown.

In OTL, Savoy obtained Sicily, which, if I am not entirely mistaken, had formerly nothing to do with Savoy. And just a few years later the Duke of Savoy was forced to swap Sicily with Sardinia. I don't think the Sardinias were consulted on this matter, either. But I also don't mind taking Sardinia away from Catalonia again.

As for Valencia: The forces of the Alliance reached Barcelona in time to free it and lift the siege. Catalonia was thus, assuming a few smaller victories in the region, in the hands of the Alliance, whereas Valencia wasn't. That would be my attempt to explain why Catalonia would be seperated from Spain, but not Valencia.

What makes this easier is the fact that Catalonia wasn't exactly Aragon. The County of Barcelona (AKA Catalonia) was part of the Aragonese Crown but not part of the Kingdom of Aragon. Thus a separate administrative division already existed. So they are essentially a Kingdom out of the former lands of County of Barcelona.

Oh I agree. I was just questioning whether that basis would give them claim to the former Aragonese islands. But maybe it would. Or perhaps more importantly, maybe the fact that the British/Austrian forces had probably captured the said islands meant that it didn't matter anyway ;)

In OTL, Savoy obtained Sicily, which, if I am not entirely mistaken, had formerly nothing to do with Savoy. And just a few years later the Duke of Savoy was forced to swap Sicily with Sardinia. I don't think the Sardinias were consulted on this matter, either. But I also don't mind taking Sardinia away from Catalonia again.

Oh, to be sure the Sardinians weren't consulted there - but in that situation, they were being horse-traded to make (sea) borders more convenient. In TTL, Catalonia doesn't have anything it owns (legally, I guess it might have them by right of conquest, but in peace treaty negotiations that counts for a lot less) that it can trade in exchange for Sardinia. My point was that I would assume that Sardinia would be included in the fledgling state because their own local government (I don't believe Sardinia had a Cortes, though I think the Balearics did) had decided to throw in with the Catalonians. Whether this be a spontaneous action or the result of the British/Austrians conquering the islands and installing a puppet government which makes the decision is by-the-by, (although bear in mind that OTL, Britain demanded Minorca as well as Gibraltar as tribute for its part in the war, so they might have an interest in puppet states here). Either way, the Sardinians are likely going to want to have made the choice for themselves to be part of the new Kingdom, or they will probably respond by seeking to rebel away as soon as the opportunity presents itself, and I'm not convinced that Catalonia would be strong enough by itself to retake the island.

Again, just my thoughts on the matter anyway. Feel free to disagree and/or correct me :)

ASBish? It was nothing that anybody questioned by then. Even on September 10 1714, the last speech by Casanova ended with a proclamation that they would fight to their last drop of blood for the freedom of Spain.

Anyway, if any of the participants in the Sucession war saw any interest in an independent Catalonia, I do not see why they would include the old Kingdom of Majorca or Sicilia.

ASBish? It was nothing that anybody questioned by then. Even on September 10 1714, the last speech by Casanova ended with a proclamation that they would fight to their last drop of blood for the freedom of Spain.
Hmm... Are you saying Catalans would not tolerate a partition of Spain?

Anyway, if any of the participants in the Sucession war saw any interest in an independent Catalonia, I do not see why they would include the old Kingdom of Majorca or Sicilia.
There was a point in the War in which the Crown of Castile was under Philip while the realms of the Crown of Aragon were still loyal to Charles.
Therefore a less successful offensive into the Crown of Aragon could result in a standoff and some or all of the still Habsburg-controlled Aragonese realms could be allotted to an Habsburg. To them, the more the merrier.

Hmm... Are you saying Catalans would not tolerate a partition of Spain?

There was a point in the War in which the Crown of Castile was under Philip while the realms of the Crown of Aragon were still loyal to Charles.
Therefore a less successful offensive into the Crown of Aragon could result in a standoff and some or all of the still Habsburg-controlled Aragonese realms could be allotted to an Habsburg. To them, the more the merrier.
Precisely this is what is my suggestion. :)
The Barcelona, loyal to Charles, is defended and Catalonia still under control of allied troops. Perhaps this would be possible if Marlborough didn't get sent home.

It is important to bear in mind, that although the Crown of Aragon was part of the Kingdom of Spain, they enjoyed extensive autonomy and had their own culture and language. I doubt that they would be loyal to Spain, the more as it was quite obvious that the Bourbons planned to centralise Spain.

Precisely this is what is my suggestion. :)
The Barcelona, loyal to Charles, is defended and Catalonia still under control of allied troops. Perhaps this would be possible if Marlborough didn't get sent home.

It is important to bear in mind, that although the Crown of Aragon was part of the Kingdom of Spain, they enjoyed extensive autonomy and had their own culture and language. I doubt that they would be loyal to Spain, the more as it was quite obvious that the Bourbons planned to centralise Spain.
Well, I like the premise. It's a plausible turn of events. The touch that leaves the Kingdom of Valencia out gives a tone of realism avoiding a dumb luck turn of events that would create a full Catalan Countries wank. ;)

Of course that the point of having its own language and culture is almost moot at that point in history. It will arrive to the Age of Nationalism as a very consolidated nation-state though... at least in the Principality and in the Balears.

Well, I like the premise. It's a plausible turn of events. The touch that leaves the Kingdom of Valencia out gives a tone of realism avoiding a dumb luck turn of events that would create a full Catalan Countries wank. ;)

Of course that the point of having its own language and culture is almost moot at that point in history. It will arrive to the Age of Nationalism as a very consolidated nation-state though... at least in the Principality and in the Balears.

Thanks. :) So we'll see what will happen... You're absolutely right, the emergence of the nationalism is yet to come. I plan on dealing with the pre-Napoleon time quite briefly, though in order to write in more detail about the events after the French Revolution (which still will be happening). That is, if Catalonia survives so long. :p The only question that bothers me is whether I should leave out Sardinia in the beginning or not. Thoughts?

Thanks. :) So we'll see what will happen... You're absolutely right, the emergence of the nationalism is yet to come. I plan on dealing with the pre-Napoleon time quite briefly, though in order to write in more detail about the events after the French Revolution (which still will be happening). That is, if Catalonia survives so long. :p The only question that bothers me is whether I should leave out Sardinia in the beginning or not. Thoughts?
Poor Napoleon has high chances of being butterflied away.

Regarding the "when Sardinia leaves Catalonia", well... Sardinia may be lost in an early war, a rebellion or not lost at all, it all depends on what's going on.

If after the War of the Spanish Succession we see coming out a true centralized Kingdom of Catalonia then - chances are - Sardinians are going to react harshly soon. If this "Kingdom of Catalonia" is but a lesser Crown of Aragon with all three realms (Principality of Catalonia, Kingdom of Majorca and Kingdom of Sardinia) keeping their autonomous institutions then Catalan control over the island is more manageable.

If after the War of the Spanish Succession we see coming out a true centralized Kingdom of Catalonia then - chances are - Sardinians are going to react harshly soon. If this "Kingdom of Catalonia" is but a lesser Crown of Aragon with all three realms (Principality of Catalonia, Kingdom of Majorca and Kingdom of Sardinia) keeping their autonomous institutions then Catalan control over the island is more manageable.

True, but I assume such centralisation would not be happening until the rise of nationalism. The more so as Catalonia is ruled by Habsburg, and thus you already have the smouldering conflict between the local Corts and the monarch. Catalonia wouldn't treat Sardinia and the Balears as colonies but rather as equals. The last they could afford in such a risky geopolitical situation would be an internal conflict. I have some ideas how to continue the story, and since there has been positive feedback, expect a continuation soon!

True, but I assume such centralisation would not be happening until the rise of nationalism. The more so as Catalonia is ruled by Habsburg, and thus you already have the smouldering conflict between the local Corts and the monarch. Catalonia wouldn't treat Sardinia and the Balears as colonies but rather as equals. The last they could afford in such a risky geopolitical situation would be an internal conflict. I have some ideas how to continue the story, and since there has been positive feedback, expect a continuation soon!

In that case, if Catalonia plays its cards right it may have a relatively peaceful relation with the Sardinians. Until some prick in Barcelona in the 19th century will want to force the spread of the Catalan language from Alghero to the rest of the island, that is. And that prick or pricks will come, no doubt.

II.

Catalonia and the European concert of powers

“The emergence of Catalonia as an independent kingdom was neither due to the will of its inhabitants nor due to cultural reasons. Catalonia was formed to uphold the balance of powers across the European Continent and split the possessions of Spain more or less evenly between the contesting parties which were more or less fighting a balanced, yet exhaustive war. Although many living in present times are tempted to throw Bourbonic Spain and France together as well as Catalonia and Austria, both “minor” partners enjoyed full independence. Indeed, in the War of the Quadruple Alliance Spain even fought France with uniting both crowns in mind….”
The History of Modern Europe (2004), A. Miller

“Charles III [1] had a significantly different view of the Catalonian Kingdom than its nobility itself had. He was impressed by the City of Barcelona, which, in former times, enjoyed some autonomy, but failed to acknowledge that the new Kingdom was more than that. The remote island of Sardinia, which came into his possession, was an issue he did not really care about. But others did. Leading members of the nobility and the affluent reorganised their structures and the Corts in 1715 so that the new kingdom was modelled after the Crown of Aragon. The three geographically separated parts of Catalonia, the Baleares and Sardinia came together on an equal basis in the Corts Generals. By no means, however, the king was powerless. During the decades following the independence, the struggle between the nobility and the king held on and motivated the Sardinian nobility to align with the Corts as long as the conflict prevailed.”
Catalonia. A nation inbetween the Bourbon Empire (1940), C. Sharp
[1] The numeral was inherited from the Crown of Aragon.

“Philip V. of Spain did not wait long for his modernisation of Spain. His “Nueva Planta” decrees revoked any autonomy the parts of Aragon that remained under Spanish rule had and forced them into a centralised state. The modernisation of the state Philip undertook resulted in a highly centralised and more efficient state – that was, in addition – reduced to its core territories.”
The History of Modern Europe (2004), A. Miller

So far Catalonia could avoid any open conflict between the King and the nobility as, when Catalonia was at war, both parties fought together for its survival and both the king and the nobility were equal in their despise of the Bourbons. As, however, the state became poorer and poorer, and Charles III made a desperate attempt to raise taxes throughout the kingdom in 1741, the Corts Generals that came together forced him to sign a legally binding document (referred to as the Declaració de drets) that strengthened the Corts enormously. From that day on, the Corts had to approve each change in the state’s finances, each levy of armies and each declaration of war and the King had to guarantee their independence. In turn, the Corts recognised his rule over the kingdom and recognised his eldest son Johann (Jóan) as the legitimate heir.

Shortly afterwards, in May 1743, Charles III passed away and his eldest son, Jóan, became king at the decent age of 28. In contrast to his father, Jóan spent his whole childhood in Barcelona and did not feel attracted by Vienna and the core of the Habsburg’s power. The Corts had the hope that they could deal easier with him, who would show greater affection to his kingdom than Charles did.

Meanwhile, a revolution was going on in European diplomacy. The War of the Polish Succession (1733-1737) saw a decisive French victory and Spain regaining Parma (they did not gain it in ITTL War of the Quadruple Alliance) while France gained Lorraine from the Holy Roman Empire. The display of Bourbon power over the continent came together with British failure to intervene in the conflict. The long-lasting Austro-British alliance thus ended and the Habsburgs found themselves without any major allies. Catalonia remained firmly on the United Kingdom’s side and was considered to be allied with the United Kingdom which, in 1741, signed an alliance treaty with Prussia in order to help to dam the French power and influence. Catalonia, in turn, allowed the British to maintain a naval base in Menorca.

Although Spain was not delighted, France fearing another encirclement by Catalonia, the United Kingdom and the United Provinces subsequently let Madrid know that they would not support any Spanish claims on Catalonia anymore. The young kingdom was now substantially relieved and its relations with France began to normalise, although they were far from friendly.
The new alliance systems were put to a test and tensions exploded in the Franco-British War (1746-1752) which saw the war between the British-led alliance of Prussia, Hannover, Catalonia and other German minor states on the one hand and France, Austria, Spain and Russia on the other. How will this conflict, by some described as the first world war in human’s history, end? Will Catalonia be able to remain independent?

Last edited: