WI: Germany sides with Constantinople on the East-West Schism

Is it possible for the HRE to side with Constantinople instead of Rome and even confiscates the Papal States, what will happen to the Catholic Church?

If that happens there is no schism then because the church stays united. Germany and France where the catholic homeland and if one of them turns against the Papacy then the pope is probably gonna end up giving up to Constantinoples demands (whatever they end up being).

HRE was strongly Catholic area. I don't see that it would turn side of Orthodoxes. But if emperor of HRE anyway would do this I think that there begins civil war.

Although I would be interested in seeing how that turned out, I wonder how a splitting of the Western church into various national patriarchies (Patriarch of Mainz, Patrairch of some french place, Patriarch of... somewhere in the british isles, with the pope left as much more of an "equal" in this scenario) would turn out.

The big problem: The Byzantine emperor didn't like Charlemagne proclaiming himself emperor. And Charles was supported by the pope. So it was actually in his interest to break with Constantinople.

Interesting turn of history;very simpmle and according to German interests in the long run since they will clash several times with the popes,regarding Italy etc.

At the same time the Byzantines will escape 90% of their West entanglements caused by the Catholic church and they would concentrate almost entirely on the threats east;they would be very effective against Arabs and Turks with very different outcome.