AHC: Franco-Spanish Union

Wolfpaw

Banned
Carried over from a rather bumbling thread I started. Your AH challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to unite Spain and France under a single ruler (if not necessarily a single government). I could easily see such a union spurring (or preserving) the Anglo-Dutch union. The Habsburgs are gonna freak, and the Pope will probably jump into the Franco-Spanish sphere since Italy is gonna be their stomping ground.

All PODs welcome :)

For a simpler POD--or a portion of one at least... the smallpox that took the future Louis XV's father and brother takes him as well.

Of course, that won't get Philip the throne, while keeping Spain without help...

Wolfpaw

Banned
Bumperooni roo.

Perhaps Louis le Grand Dauphin never surrenders his claim to Spain and lives longer. A bit far-fetched, but I think the Bourbons have the best chance of pulling this off.

Perhaps in the War of Spanish Succession, Charles II's will gives the Spanish throne to Louis XIV rather than his grandson? Should be rather simple, really. Although I don't know of Spain and France would truly unite; more likely they would have the same sort of relationship that Hapsburg-controlled countries had with one another.

wouldn't the most logical be to have Charles II die a month early, having not bequeathed his Crown to the Duke of Anjou? than we get a War of Spanish Succession, Le Grand Dauphin is King Louis I of Spain, drag the war out or kill every one a bit early and Louis XV/II even if its only for a short time

or as with OTL Philip V claimed the right to the crown of France if the baby Louis XV should die, in OTL that was part of the reason for the War of the Quadruple Alliance, if Louis XV does die like his parents and older brother it would very much strengthen Philip V's hand and set off a civil war in France

Last edited:

Wolfpaw

Banned
Bumping this.

How do we think any sort of Franco-Spanish union would be run? Where would the capital(s) be? I could see Paris in the spring/summer and Madrid in the fall/winter.

I think the real question is that what is the POD in the War of Spanish Succession that causes this?

In my opinion, Louis would have to convince some nations not threatened by this proposed union to join him. Maybe Russia and/or the Ottomans?