AHC: Ruin Reagans Legacy

By whatever means nessecary short of destroying the United States, Make Ronald Reagan considered one of the worst presidents in American History, with a POD after his first election.
Bonus points if in doing so you make Jimmy Carter considered one of our Better Presidents.

By whatever means nessecary short of destroying the United States, Make Ronald Reagan considered one of the worst presidents in American History, with a POD after his first election.
Bonus points if in doing so you make Jimmy Carter considered one of our Better Presidents.

If he was impeached over Iran-Contra that would do it. Coupled with his union-busting, the closing of mental hospitals, and the hiking of the federal deficit it is highly unlikely he would be seen today as St. Ronnie and more in the neighborhood of a more senile Nixon.

I don't think history will be too kind to Ronnie Raygun. But a treason trial for his treason in Iran contra would do it for sure.

Didn't he later sell weapons to the Iranians as well? (My memory's sketchy, I did Reagan and Reaganomics at school last year for A-level, and have since erased large chunks of it :D)

The fact the recovery was essentially due to a fall in oil prices... what if they didn't fall?

Garrison

Donor

I hate to point this out but he is considered one of the worst US presidents...

If what you're asking is for Reagan to be "considered one" of the worst US presidents, the best answer is: wait a few years. At some point, probably in the not-to-distant future, Republicans will have to get over the cult-like devotion to St. Ronnie that keeps a halo around him in the public imagination, and his legacy will be reassessed.

In 50 years, OTL historians might start to take a Coolidge view of him - the man who looked like he was keeping the economy ticking over nicely but instead set it on a course that wrecked it for two generations.

In 50 years, OTL historians might start to take a Coolidge view of him - the man who looked like he was keeping the economy ticking over nicely but instead set it on a course that wrecked it for two generations.

I'd say that's apt, and maybe sooner than that.

This wouldn't by itself make Reagan reach James Buchanan levels of terrible, but if you could somehow delay the recovery from the 1982-1983 recession, Reagan would have been at risk of defeat in 1984, and if he loses, he'd be a discredited 1-term President who only won in 1980 because of a fluke set of circumstances. If Reagan's a one term President,there will be no Reagan myth. The question is how to delay the recovery. If that had happened, we'd be all talking about how great President Mondale was...

Garrison

Donor
Why should they do that? Foreign popular opinion of American presidents don't matter. That's like asking random Americans what they think about David Cameron or Hollande.

Hey the OP didn't specify where; I was just pointing out you don't need any AH to achieve his goal, just ask the right group of people in the here and now.

SImple.

Have the demographic trends continue and lead to the end of the GOP. During the following period of total Democratic domination, have the history books rewritten to present him as his detractors see him.

By the time another Party rises to challenge the effective One Party State, very few people question the conventional wisdom and no one pays them any mind.

A very dark future, but the OP challenge is met.

You could have him narrowly defeat Jimmy Carter in 1976, be unable to deal with the malaise of the nation, and get whipped in 1980 by ... someone else :)

You could have him narrowly defeat Jimmy Carter in 1976, be unable to deal with the malaise of the nation, and get whipped in 1980 by ... someone else :)
Bonus Points!!! - Carter runs against Reagan again in '80, wins, and starts the country toward the economic recovery we experieced in the 80's into the early 90's, 80's popculture stays the same, Carter Reelected in 84 and his VP elected in 88, Soviet Union collapses on time. :c)