Dacia, can it make it?

Dacia was one of the most rich and powerful regions in the ancient Balkans, located in what is now modern Romania. With massive gold-mines, and a large population, it was a powerhouse. Julius Caesar considered Dacia Rome's biggest threat, and intended to wage war against the Dacians before his assassination. While usually in disarray, the region of Dacia was a hodge-podge of different tribes and ethnicities that occasionally unified into a force to be reckoned with under a single king. In the 2nd century BC a Dacian King named Rubobostes unified the Daci and Getae tribes who ousted the Boii from the region. Burebista, a contemporary of Caesar, expanded Dacian rule along the Danube from the Black Sea to possibly as far as Austria (the Romans say the eastern border of the Hercynian Forest, which suggests eastern Germania). And Decebalus, the last Dacian King who was defeated by Trajan.

This is a pretty impressive track record, most anyone can agree. But, I am asking simply, could the Dacians last anyway? If you eliminated Rome from the equation, and left Dacia to its own devices, could it hold on? With Germanic, Sarmatian, Scythian, and eventually Slavic and Turkish tribes all passing through what is now modern Romania, is it even possible for the Geto-Dacian kingdom(s) to survive in the long run, or were they simply destined to disappear?

Perhaps they could last as a cultural identity like Persia- become well-established enough to assimilate newcomers.

Probably not. If they had a history of centralized control (not occasionally united as OTL) perhaps a less fragmented cultural identity combined with the necessary military structure could have come into being which could have weathered all the subsequent inroads of German, Sarmatians, etc., and have a better chance of absorbing them. Of course, eliminating the Romans from the equation.

Question for me is why did the Dacians have such an uneven record of unity?

Isn't it anyway possibly the ancestors of Romanians? if this is one day proved, the nation evolved and survived. Romanised and a bit slavised, christianised, but it's the evolution of it...

Isn't it anyway possibly the ancestors of Romanians? if this is one day proved, the nation evolved and survived. Romanised and a bit slavised, christianised, but it's the evolution of it...

Genetically it is possible, but culturally, no, I'd say not.

It might be used as a rallying cry for nationalism in the Balkans, like the Etruscan for the Italians, or ancient Germans for the Germans

Genetically it is possible, but culturally, no, I'd say not.

If I'm not mistaken, the only traces of Dacian "culture" found today in Romania would be some traces of resamblence found in traditional clothing, a couple of words and place names, the name Decebal and a few isolated rural arhaic customs.

It might be used as a rallying cry for nationalism in the Balkans, like the Etruscan for the Italians, or ancient Germans for the Germans

To my knowledge, Etruscan heritage was never used as rallying cry for Italians in any significant way at any point in history.
We usually hark back to Romans, if anything.
Nothing even remotely comparable to the way ancient Germans were used in Germany was ever in place in Italy about Etruscans.

I plan in one of my hypthetical timelines that Dacians were driven out by invading barbarians (Huns), and they settled in the area of the Alps, were they founded a new realm and build up a new civilization. So the area of modern romania stays hunnic, while central europe and later the balkans and southern france will be dacian. the dacians from a big empire in this timeline. Because the roman empire breaks a part before dacia got invaded, they have a chance.

Might it be a bit undefended against barbarians from the east?

If it was located in the modern-day Romania area, it seems to have had the benefits of some very defensible terrain. Rivers, hills, forests, swamp and a central mountain range.

I could see eastern barbarians make it into the plains now and then, but if the inner areas were properly defended...

I think the main issue is internal. Get some stability and a competent dynasty going.

I would love to see Dacia managing to centralize, and perhaps if the Roman Empire failed to make a resurgence around the time of Trajan. Then you have enough time for them to try to get something together before the Huns get there, perhaps even gain some post-roman territory in the Balkans or on the Black Sea.

To my knowledge, Etruscan heritage was never used as rallying cry for Italians in any significant way at any point in history.
We usually hark back to Romans, if anything.
Nothing even remotely comparable to the way ancient Germans were used in Germany was ever in place in Italy about Etruscans.
Damn, I really need to fact check what people tell me on this site sometimes.

also i wonder wha tthe dacian language would evolve into, maybe something similar to baltic languages, since that language seems closest to what dacian was, many dacian words, are similar to modern baltic words, and the placenames of ancient dacia and the balts were similar too. maybe dacian is infact a south baltic language.

Last edited:
Actually, I just realized you were the one asking the question Errnge. Silly me. :p

Anyways take a look here. There are several instances of centralized, united government, an effective military machine that made even Domitian look stupid, and improved Iron age infrastructure. If Dacia can hold their own and perhaps unite itself did a century early, the civilization could hold it's own for many centuries.