Bugatti P110 fighter

I've read a few WI on other sites about the possibility of a Bugatti P110 Fighter developed from Bugatti's P100 race aircraft, sort of a French He100, but with stellar looks. Here's a simulated design from a french site. anyone has considered this possibility?

imagesCA4AMZ06.jpg

It was a very pretty, speedy and original plane for its time, but I do not think it would be good as a practical fighter. Not every plane that looks cool is automatically good for long-term combat in a full-scale war.

I've been led to believe that putting pilots in prone positions is not a great idea

This. Plus, I've seen one in person at the EAA museum in Oshkosh, WI, and it is a very small aircraft.
I don't think that there would be enough room to add the military hardware (Armor, guns, radios, more fuel, etc...) to turn it into a fighter.

SPECIFICATIONS
Gross Weight: 3,086 lbs.
Wing Span: 27 ft.
Length: 25 ft. 5 in.
Height: 7 ft. 4 in.
Wing Area: 222.7 sq. ft.
Wing Loading: 13.9 lbs./sq. ft.
Power Loading: 3.44 lbs./hp
Design max speed: 500-550 mph
Engines: Two Bugatti Type 50B, 450 hp at 4500 rpm

It sure is pretty though.
bugatti1.jpg

bugatti2.jpg

bugatti_wallpaper1280 (Large).jpg

From the images I'd say that the pilot would be siting in a laid back position, like in a Lotus 25 F1 Car, rather than prone. I could be wrong, though...

fr2.jpg

From the images I'd say that the pilot would be siting in a laid back position, like in a Lotus 25 F1 Car, rather than prone. I could be wrong, though...

Correct. Pilots were sat within that thing roughly like in a modern sailplane.

Would any sane individual consider putting anything designed by Bugatti in mass production. Granted he built works of industrial art. But there is a big difference between limited production and building large numbers of an item.

Would any sane individual consider putting anything designed by Bugatti in mass production. Granted he built works of industrial art. But there is a big difference between limited production and building large numbers of an item.

Yes, that's the biggest plausibility consideration by far.

They did built 343 type 35 racing cars. Even a few P110 would , if speed estimates are anything to go by, provide an uninterceptable recce aircraft and a high speed interceptor.

They did built 343 type 35 racing cars. Even a few P110 would , if speed estimates are anything to go by, provide an uninterceptable recce aircraft and a high speed interceptor.

how can it intercept if it can't maneuver for shit; that wing layout doesn't lend itself to aerobatic maneuvers

First, I doubt it's unmanouvrable as you think.
Second, high speed pass hit and run intercepts.

First, I doubt it's unmanouvrable as you think.
Second, high speed pass hit and run intercepts.

with only 2 cannons? the luck of the ME-262 with such tactics (flown by super experts) with 4 very heavy cannons were at best mixed

it was built for pure speed not intense maneuvering dog fighting intended for a fighter; the wings would have to be placed higher on the frame and altered in any sort of production version

Ah right. Be prepared for major neck strain during manoeuvres then.

Could you explain what you're thinking, please? Pilots of F-16's have reclined seats (and Su-27 variants as well) IIRC, and this is the first I've heard that they're particularly bad for neck strain.

Try lying in bed and reading off a laptop on your stomach. Right, now try doing it while pulling manoeuvres. There's a difference between 'reclined' and 'lying down', or at least I'd have thought so. Visibility would be pretty poor as well.

The fighter drawing has a 3-bladed propeller which has a diameter of 6.5 feet. This would not propel anything off the ground, let alone 550 mph. The drawing shows the 2 cannons just inboard of the prop arc and would require synchronization. The drawing doesn't show the engine air intake present in the racer picture. I'm not sure but there are 2 holes in the wing that could be oil coolers and the tail empennages have evidence of inadequate and easily damaged coolant radiators of a type copied by nobody. The pilot position would be awkward without the side-stick controller and the general configuration allows no visibility to the rear, even if the canopy allowed it. Not of the same league as the Caudron racer/fighter which Polish pilots had to fly. At least the Caudron flew.

The fighter drawing has a 3-bladed propeller which has a diameter of 6.5 feet. This would not propel anything off the ground, let alone 550 mph. The drawing shows the 2 cannons just inboard of the prop arc and would require synchronization. The drawing doesn't show the engine air intake present in the racer picture. I'm not sure but there are 2 holes in the wing that could be oil coolers and the tail empennages have evidence of inadequate and easily damaged coolant radiators of a type copied by nobody. The pilot position would be awkward without the side-stick controller and the general configuration allows no visibility to the rear, even if the canopy allowed it. Not of the same league as the Caudron racer/fighter which Polish pilots had to fly. At least the Caudron flew.

I'll pass that along to the guy who made the drawing, if I ever find out who he is. The much bigger Heinkel He119 was a similar concept for a high speed bomber, and used a undernose retractable radiator that spoiled the lines when opened. A pratical version of the Bugatti ideas would have gone through the process of "uglyfication" many concepts follow. Of course a He119 WI would attract a lot more following, being a LW machine, et al...
A more practical P110 might look like a fighter version of the He119, and loose the graceful lines of the racer. It would still be the coolest fighter in the world in its time, for sure...