Can the Caliphate of Cordoba be saved?

Paul MacQ

Monthly Donor
The Reconquest was not "ordained" to win.

Some good leaders and some more infighting from the Christian north, yes it could be saved.

It was internal fighting among the ruling elite that caused the decline and fall of the Caliphate. The Reconquista (which had not really developed serious traction yet) had nothing to do with it.
Have al-Hakam II either pass on power to an older son or to another legitimate (and competent) successor who was of-age, and you'd have a better chance the Caliphate lasts longer.

Honestly its not even hard, the reconquista was very much luck early on. Change things slightly and its no longer feasible. The long reaching effects are another matter, you really cant see them until they happen.

The Reconquest was not "ordained" to win.

I know that, but I'm not talking about Islamic Spain in general I'm talking specifically about the Caliphate which lasted from 926 to 1031. The Caliphate didn't fall because of internal threats it collapsed from within. What needs to happen to prevent the political the civil war and collapse of the Caliphate into the Taifa kingdoms of Islamic Spain?

Paul MacQ

Monthly Donor
And Herzen's love-child has a nice reply regards a more solid foundation. A
Caliphate of Cordoba that lasts a few hundred years and one that is less dependent on North African support would be very interesting. The Cultural influence could be massive. All in the years before the 1st Crusade

I know that, but I'm not talking about Islamic Spain in general I'm talking specifically about the Caliphate which lasted from 926 to 1031. The Caliphate didn't fall because of internal threats it collapsed from within. What needs to happen to prevent the political the civil war and collapse of the Caliphate into the Taifa kingdoms of Islamic Spain?

That is slightly harder but they really need to find a way to make the army subordinate to the monarch or atleast create a more Janissary system then the system which led to the Taifa.