PC and WI: Costner not in The Postman

I'm wondering (1) if Kevin Costner could have gotten out of The Postman (1997) with a January 1996 PoD; (2) if, given this, The Postman still would have gotten made TTL; and (3) how Costner's career would have been affected? Regarding (3), I can see Jim easily getting tagged instead of Ford for the lead in Air Force One.

I'm wondering (1) if Kevin Costner could have gotten out of The Postman (1997) with a January 1996 PoD; (2) if, given this, The Postman still would have gotten made TTL; and (3) how Costner's career would have been affected? Regarding (3), I can see Jim easily getting tagged instead of Ford for the lead in Air Force One.

Hmmm...Harrison Ford in The Postman and Kevin Costner in Air Force One? The Postman is awesome and Air Force One sucks?

Hmmm...Harrison Ford in The Postman and Kevin Costner in Air Force One? The Postman is awesome and Air Force One sucks?

I was actually thinking of Harrison Ford still doing Pakula's Devil's Own, which started shooting early 96, then being available late that year for Kubrick to consider him for Eyes Wide Shut. (This becomes part of a larger TL idea I had before, but with a better PoD...)

If it's still made, this could save the Postman - Kevin Cosnter by that time had achieved the sort of backlash not seen until Keanu Rreves/Kristen Stewart in the last few years. Didn't help the man was a godawful actor.

Keep him out of the Postman, it may well keep it from being Dances with Wolves meets Waterworld, and actuyally make a decent post-Apocalyptic movie, thus not killing the genre for about a decade.

If it's still made, this could save the Postman... Keep him out of the Postman, it may well keep it from being Dances with Wolves meets Waterworld, and actuyally make a decent post-Apocalyptic movie, thus not killing the genre for about a decade.

So who would they go with instead? (Remember, I've got other plans for Ford ;))

How about Mel Gibson? He would make a crap film into a really crap film. But saying that it would be one of his film that would not be anti English, unless whatever happend, was the fault of the said English!

How about Mel Gibson? He would make a crap film into a really crap film
You want someone who can act, and someone whose name will draw in crowds - maybe Russel Crowe or Daniel Day-Lewis

Were the producers interested in any of them, or would any of them have been interested?

Avoid the film altogether. It was a great book but doesn't lend itself to film adaption.

I'm actually wondering if Costner saying "no" in Jan of 1996 would be enough of a PoD to do this; I'm perfectly on board if it is...

Were the producers interested in any of them, or would any of them have been interested?

I'm actually wondering if Costner saying "no" in Jan of 1996 would be enough of a PoD to do this; I'm perfectly on board if it is...

Not sure... IRL, Kevin Costner was the first choice for some reason, so in an altenrate Postman, you'd have free reign. A good fit might be Jeff Bridges - he's basically Kevin Costner who can act, and is famed for taking really off the wall roles like this. Better still, this is before Big Lobowski revived his career.