Name Changes to US States

hey, all. after independence, many US states were named after native tribes which lived in the area (the Dakotas after the Lakota, for instance) while some other states simply took on the names that their previous owners had given them (Florida, Texas, Alaska, etc.)

however, i've come to something of an impasse in the writing of my ASB ATL. as part of the TL itself, i've included some fictional English kings who reign during the colonization period. upon doing some research, i thus learned that it would make no sense for the the colonies (and later states) of OTL Georgia and North/South Carolina to be named what they were as they were both named after British kings who do not exist ITTL

the Georgia Province was founded in 1732 when the fictional David II (the name was indeed inspired by the biblical king after some name research) ruled, while Carolina would have been during the reign of the fictional Henry IX. now the problem i face is that i'm having difficulty figuring out what the provinces/states could be named instead. another possibility, though, is that the provinces could be named after those two kings' royal houses instead (Stuart for David II and the fictional House of Dudley for Henry IX[though he's also considered a Tudor; i'd prefer this to stick to the naming of the states rather than the kings and their history])

alternatively, if anyone has any ideas for what i could name those kings instead to bring about an easier name, i'd be happy to hear them

Maybe name them after Native American tribes? Like you mentioned in the beginning many are named after Tribes anyway. Georgia for example could be Yamasee or Muscogee. Do the Kings have wives whose names might work better? You could use them, or even name them after a noble the King likes I suppose.

Maybe name them after Native American tribes? Like you mentioned in the beginning many are named after Tribes anyway. Georgia for example could be Yamasee or Muscogee. Do the Kings have wives whose names might work better? You could use them, or even name them after a noble the King likes I suppose.
well actually, it was largely ones after the ARW that were named after tribes, and i kinda want to keep the "named after a king" convention for Georgia and the Carolinas.

i did a little more research and it looks like Georgia's name is also, potentially, attributed to Saint George, so maybe it could keep its OTL name. that still leaves the problem of Carolina

Davidia occurred to me, too, but i honestly don't like the way it sounds. i know i asked for ideas as to what the names could be if those they were named after were different, but "Davidia" just sounds so forced

*Georgia: Georgia (for St. George, though the Georgia named after St. George is actually the nation of Georgia, not the colony. St. George however is also the patron saint of England), New Georgia, St. Henry, Henrico (the name of an actual, though aborted, English colony), Yamacraw (the first native tribe the actual settlers of Georgia encountered), Savannah (after the river, the name was given to the first settled city in Georgia), Altamaha (after another nearby river), New Gloucstershire, New Cambridgeshire, New Kent, New Cornwall.

*Carolina: Davsylvania, St. David, New Wales (David being the patron saint of Wales), New Dorsetshire (named after the region in which Shaftesbury is located, a nod to the Earl of Shaftesbury), Roanokeshire (the first English colony, Roanoke, was within what became Carolina), New Roanoke (for the same reason), Albemarle (after the Albemarle Sound, the location of the first settlements in Carolina), Heathshire (after Robert Heath, the person originally granted the right to form a colony in the area), New Gloucstershire, New Cambridgeshire, New Kent, New Cornwall.

i think i'll keep Georgia as Georgia after the patron saint (and it could retroactively be considered as being named after George Washington ;)) but the new name for the Carolinas is now a toss-up between Roanoke and Henrico

Maybe some of the states founded by religious groups could end up with names inspired by the bible, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusets, Utah and several others could end up beeing things like "New Canaan" (really good name for Utah actually) or something.

Maybe some of the states founded by religious groups could end up with names inspired by the bible, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusets, Utah and several others could end up beeing things like "New Canaan" (really good name for Utah actually) or something.
i really like that, too! :D i think i'll renamed Connecticut "New Canaan" :)

Washington needs to change its name and end the confusion once and for all. On the other hand, I can't really think of a better name. Columbia, the other name they considered wouldn't be much better considering we've already got Colombia.

How bout the state ends up American Columbia to parallel the Canadian province (and reflect the OTL disputes over that border).

How bout the state ends up American Columbia to parallel the Canadian province (and reflect the OTL disputes over that border).
personally, i've been musing over naming it "Puget" after the Puget Sound. alternatively, it could be Tacoma/Tahoma (which was an actual name considered, after the native name for Mount Rainier)

i'd still like some second opinions about what to name the Carolinas, either Roanoke or Henrico?

personally, i've been musing over naming it "Puget" after the Puget Sound. alternatively, it could be Tacoma/Tahoma (which was an actual name considered, after the native name for Mount Rainier)

Puget would be rather convergent if you POD is prior to the late 1700s. George Vancouver (who was exploring the area) named the Puget Sound after one of his officers as a reward for his service (he was tired of naming things after himself I suppose). He could just as easily name it after one of his other officers, or almost anything really. It's one of those low probability things that the butterflies would destroy.

Actually, while we're on the topic of Captain Vancouver, that would make a good name for a colony/state in the Pacific Northwest. Vancouver (the one in Washington, not British Columbia) was a major trading post and the largest city in OTL Washington for decades. Or if Vancouver himself gets butterflied away, you could name it after whoever explored the area in this TL.

Or if you don't like that idea, how about the word "Green" in some other language. Everything is green up here. Verdania? I also like Tacoma/Tahoma. That sounds realistic if you're using a native name.

well actually, it was largely ones after the ARW that were named after tribes...

Massachusetts and Connecticut have Indian-derived names.

Of later states:

Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi are all Indian names east of the Mississippi