WI: David Prowse plays Superman?

Back when the Superman movie was being made one of the people who tried to get the part was David Prowse, the man who played Darth Vader. He was instead brought on as the trainer for Christopher Reeve for the movie.

But what if something prevents Reeve from getting the part and Prowse gets it instead.

Could Prowse have pulled it off successfully?

Would the movie more or less successful than it was?

How might the Superman franchise, and Superhero movies in general have developed from here?

David Prowse would need to work on his accent. I'm not sure on the range he could achieve with his voice. But he was from Bristol, so he would've had a west country accent. Not sure the execs would be willing to make superman in that vain.

I read on Wikipedia that Patrick Wayne was a frontrunner to play Superman as well. He passed when his father, John Wayne, was diagnosed with cancer, and his career sort of went nowhere after that. Sort of wonder what would have happened had he taken the role.

David Prowse would need to work on his accent. I'm not sure on the range he could achieve with his voice. But he was from Bristol, so he would've had a west country accent. Not sure the execs would be willing to make superman in that vain.

True, but I think it would be possible for him to fake a Kansas accent (or whatever passes for a Kansas accent in Hollywood at least)

I read on Wikipedia that Patrick Wayne was a frontrunner to play Superman as well. He passed when his father, John Wayne, was diagnosed with cancer, and his career sort of went nowhere after that. Sort of wonder what would have happened had he taken the role.

I didn't know about that. It could be an interesting premise as well though.

I don't think Superman was from Kansas yet.

True in the comics, but in the '78 movie they placed Smallville in Kansas (one of the first times it was done).

That might change if Prowse is selected, but if so where might they have put it to make it easier for him to adjust?

Thande

Donor
West Country Superman! Or should I say "Zuperman".

Having said that, Americans associate the Bristol accent with pirates, so he could be Pirate Superman, which would certainly be...different.

True, but I think it would be possible for him to fake a Kansas accent (or whatever passes for a Kansas accent in Hollywood at least)

I didn't know about that. It could be an interesting premise as well though.
It depends on how well he can pull it off. The big decision men in those days weren't so open minded like they are now.