Christian Morocco

Would it be doable with a 50 AD POD, that Morocco would be a christian country and be bigger aswell (roughly the area of greater morrocco) The other north african countries should be islamic, only Morocco being christian.

Seems perfectly plausible for a reconquista to cross the sea and continue into parts of Northern Africa.

If the Islamic invasion of Iberia fails and a decently stable state appears in Iberia Morocco could end up being Christian even without any Reconquista. There were large numbers of Urban Christians in the Maghreb until after 1000 AD after all.

This is roughly the path my own TL took, though Morocco is actually just "Spain in Africa" in most respects.

Exactly. Even if you moved the POD to 600 AD, Morocco and the rest of North Africa would be Christian. All that needs to be avoided is the Roman-Persian War of early VIIth C.

Exactly. Even if you moved the POD to 600 AD, Morocco and the rest of North Africa would be Christian. All that needs to be avoided is the Roman-Persian War of early VIIth C.

Errr... but the OP specifically said the rest of north africa was to be moslem. THATs tough.

A continued Reconquista is the only way i see of making it work.

Hmmm. How about if the arab wave of conquering is diverted north into italy, and iberia remains christian, while italy and north africa go moslem? Na, its still easier to walk to morrocco than to sail to italy.

Errr... but the OP specifically said the rest of north africa was to be moslem. THATs tough.

A continued Reconquista is the only way i see of making it work.

Hmmm. How about if the arab wave of conquering is diverted north into italy, and iberia remains christian, while italy and north africa go moslem? Na, its still easier to walk to morrocco than to sail to italy.

It's not that hard, just have Islam (and whatever states spreading it) have a hard time in North Africa, becoming even harder to gain popularity as it moves West leading to it being on the defensive as it were by the time it reaches OTL Algeria and not moving further West as it tries to colosolidate itself and not even trying to take on Morocco, since it'd be the biggest, most Advanced state of the Maghreb.

it is intresting that you said about italy, i thought this too. The arab tries to conquer italy or islamize the country, but they still fail while doing so. Iberia however and Morocco are christian.

It's not that hard, just have Islam (and whatever states spreading it) have a hard time in North Africa, becoming even harder to gain popularity as it moves West leading to it being on the defensive as it were by the time it reaches OTL Algeria and not moving further West as it tries to colosolidate itself and not even trying to take on Morocco, since it'd be the biggest, most Advanced state of the Maghreb.
Except that morocco wasnt well organized. It was a whole mass of berber tribes and statelets.

How about this. The Ummayad dynasty falls in 685, after the foundets death in 680. His sucessor is disputed, and civil war erupts back in the heartlands of dar al-islam. Thus the expedition in 681 that 'conquered' morocco (i gather in much the same way that julius caesar 'conquered' britain, i.e. only nominally and temporarily) isnt followed up on. The civil war mean partisans of varous sides pull troops out of the borderlands, an expansion pauses.

There is enough of a presence in north africa still that control over Ifriqiya, ie the old roman province of africa, is finally consolidated, say a decade or so after otl.

Meanwhile, a charismatic and politically competant leader arises among the berbers, uniting them under his banner and that of ?christendom?. (This is functionally a second pod, because such a guy didnt exist). Then in the 700s, when islam renews its march, they face a much stronger opponent who holds them off. (How? This is darn near a third pod).
?...

I dont think its really very likely, at all, but does stop just short of asb, imo.

I have a POD during Caesars time, so a morocco in this timeline might be stronger and more organized than it was OTL.

why would that be ? just because there is a pod, it doesnt mean everything in the history would automatically change, some things would be similar to OTL to some extant, Islam might still be there.

why would that be ? just because there is a pod, it doesnt mean everything in the history would automatically change, some things would be similar to OTL to some extant, Islam might still be there.

Well yeah but at the time of Caesar even a few minor changes would balloon out in the following 700 years. Its just too long for anything to be the same that far into the future.

Going by the strictest definition of history, no it would not. Attempting to claim otherwise is ignoring the butterfly effect. The most insignificant change would be enough to change short term effects, such as the weather, which would then have unpredictable effects on the distant future. The modern world would be unrecognizable with even a minor PoD that far in the past.

So Islam would be non existant and christianity wouldnt be aswell ? It depends, sure a Caesar POD is far back in the past, but that does not mean, that some things can't be similar as in our timeline. Ofcourse it wont be the same as in OTL, but i think Islam could still exist and develop into a quite large religion,, maybe not as large as in OTL, but still dominating the the Arab world and some parts of Northern Africa, however it might be weaker than OTL. Anatolia is going to be a christian country in my timeline. And some things would be unavoidable for example cars, gunpowder.

Last edited:
So Islam would be non existant and christianity wouldnt be aswell ? Ofcourse it wont be the same as in OTL, but i think Islam could still exist and develop into a quite large religion, dominating the middle east and some parts of Northern Africa, however it might be weaker than OTL. Anatolia is going to be a christian country in my timeline. And some things would be unavoidable for example cars, gunpowder

But how would that happen when Muhammad probably wouldnt be born (The tiny little details of history that led to OTL's relationships and parentage would be different thus Muhammad also certainly wouldnt come into existence). Its called the butterfly effect and its kind of important here.

Does this mean that Iberia will be united as one political entity? Perhaps this ATL Christian Morocco would play the role that Portugal does OTL, and Iberia plays the role of our OTL Spain does.

I plan that Iberia is united yes. I also think about delaying my POD, now i have a 100 AD POD, in this timeline a civil war happens and Rome breaks apart.
And yeah, i guess thats true. So do you think christanity would eventually expand into the Arabic world ? I prefer if they would have a seperate religion in the middle eastern, maybe in this timeline there could be more religions than there are OTL.

Last edited:
So Islam would be non existant and christianity wouldnt be aswell ? It depends, sure a Caesar POD is far back in the past, but that does not mean, that some things can't be similar as in our timeline. Ofcourse it wont be the same as in OTL, but i think Islam could still exist and develop into a quite large religion,, maybe not as large as in OTL, but still dominating the the Arab world and some parts of Northern Africa, however it might be weaker than OTL. Anatolia is going to be a christian country in my timeline. And some things would be unavoidable for example cars, gunpowder.

The thread's indicated PoD is 50 AD. While Christianity would exist, it would probably be remarkably different than how we know it. The Gospel of Mark is still being written and Q likely doesn't exist. Matthew and Luke will never even be conceived.

Why would Islam even exist if there is no Muhammad? There are a dozen generations between the PoD and the birth of Muhammad. Do you think that each of his ancestors will marry, give birth, raise their children and die exactly as they did? Do you think the conditions that allowed Islam to thrive would even exist several centuries down the road?

I suppose that a stronger Visigothic kingdom could take some of the coastal cities of Mauretania Tingitania and eventually expand inland. Although the problem is how to hold onto to the African lands once the Muslims come along...