• Exclusive Order of Vinumcomessatores

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Kingdom of the Tatras & Carpathia-Beskidia,

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And the entries

1 said:
This is an entry for the short-lived People's Republic of Kallunagar.

Situated at one of the small islands between the Republic of Atjeh, the Sultanate of Borneo and Suranesia, the republic had a history that otherwise would be declared as unrealistic.

Kallunagar was formerly the city of Tanjunputri, but it's name was changed after a local uprising of Hindustani mineworkers resulted in an uprising against the local Malayan sultan during the 19th century. The island, and especially the royal family, had became rich with the tin mines situated at the islands.

After the uprising a Republic was declared, which confiscated the riches of the family. With this wealth the Republic was able to live out long enough to witness the beginning of the Great Peninsular War of 1888. In the aftermath of the War the Republic was absorped into the new Republic of Atjeh. The flag used during the Republican era was banned soon after.

The origin of the name of Kallunagar comes from the story that the uprising of the miners was sparked by the abolishment of the drink Kallu by the local sultan. The miners, who already were treated harshly and poorly, werd fed up and protested against this. During a brawl in the capital a couple of miners were shot by the local police. This sparked such a great anger among the miners that soon the local police and "army" where overwhelmed by the hastely organised "Miner Regiments" (size of platoons).
The story goes that these "regiments" used the crates the Kallu-drinks were transported in, as a defense during the riots. They put earth in the crates and stacking them up where able to defend themselves rather sufficiently against their enemies during most of the streetbattles. These defensive arrangements throughout the city were named "nagars" (forts).

The flag shows two palm tree branches as Kallu is a sort of Palmwine.
The four stars stood for the four "states' the island was divided in after the establisment of the Republic.
attachment.php

2 said:
INDEPENDENT REPUBLIC OF BOOZELAND

A short-lived 'nation' based on an abandoned sea-fort just outside the mouth of the Thames Estuary, set up by a group who rebelled at the ending of duty-free concessions within the European Union.

6jhpvr.jpg

3 said:
A remake of my marxist-acidist chinese flag.
--------------------------

The current flag of the Beads Republic of China was created during the crop revolution made under the slogan "grasp the seed and promote the weed".

attachment.php

The full story is actualy more complicated but......errrr......can't remember where I was going with this.......

4 said:
The botanist Joaquin Cañón-Galleta discovered a new variety of the Suguaro cactus in central Borrachia (formerly known as Baja California). Samples extracted by the geneticist Pilar Desconocido led to the creation of an alcohol which, while potent, left no trace of a hangover whatsoever. The resultant production of drinks based upon this “sinresaca” was in great demand worldwide and the Borrachian government imposed high security to ensure that the country remained the only producer.

With Borrachia becoming one of the wealthiest nations in the world its President, Calvino Maria Gilipollas, created a new flag by decree. The new flag was in fact the existing flag bisected, with the addition of a stylised Suguaro cactus surmounted by a crown (Borrachia was a monarchy but there had been no monarch for over 70 years).

[FONT=&quot]
bgpkqq.jpg
[/FONT]

5 said:
The Order of Holy Ethan

Legends of the Order reach back into prehistory - mention is made of a religious sect of mead drinkers in the Edda, the Old Testament recalls a branch of the Levites being devoted "Vintners of the Lord" - however recorded history recounts tales of a Greek convert to Christianity named Aithanos or Aethanus being martyred by drowning in consecutive kegs of "wines of grape and grain". In the later middle ages various monks would honour St Ethan in their brewing and the great ruined Cathedral in Aylsbury was built on proceeds of such trade rather than the relics offered by other churches and orders.
Modern history records the current order was reformed during Prohibition as a reaction against the criminalisation of alchohol and its chapters were often protected by local law enforcement against usurpation by the Mob.
Currently the Order has offices in all major universities and in some is the only legal way for students to buy alcohol, once they have sat through various sermons on the misuse of it.
attachment.php

6 said:
Older than the Freemasons or the Illuminati, the exclusive order of Vinumcomessatores purchased a remote island in the Pacific Ocean for its members to indulge in their alcoholic excesses and to plot the takeover of governments and the imposition of the NWO (New Wine Order).

While the order's flag might appear somewhat blurry to many, to its members it appears perfectly formed. The moon and the stars not only reflect the antiquity of the order but also reflect a sight well known to its members as they lie flat out on their backs in the open air.

wlvofn.jpg

7 said:
I didn't finish it within my original deadline and remade it completely about three times, but no matter... Something derived from the historical backstory behind one of my fictional nations in the map game I take part in (it's identical to the one I made the Lemuria flags for):

The royal standard of House Borievka, the ruling dynasty of the Kingdom of the Tatras and Maguria. It was used since the early 17th century or so, until the kingdom's loss of independence due to its membership in the newly formed Grand Union (created in the 1760s). During the kingdom's existence, it doubled as a personal royal standard and as a civil ensign of the monarchy.

After the formation of the Grand Union, the standard served as a purely personal piece of dynastic insignia, until House Borievka's merger with House Lekváros in the 1870s. After the merger of the two royal houses, a new dynastic banner was adopted, combining heraldic charges and elements of both dynasties. This second standard later became the royal banner of the Kingdom of the Tatras and Carpathia-Beskidia, one of the successor states of the Grand Union (formed in the aftermath of the Disunion Wars of the 1920s and ruled by House Borievka-Lekváros).

The dominant heraldic charges on the standard of House Borievka - two juniper tree sprigs bedecked with unripened and ripe juniper berries - are an obvious nod to the name of the dynasty, which literally means "juniper" in the language of their homeland.

The etymological reasons behind the naming of the dynasty remain unclear to this today. Most historians believe it began as a nickname derived from the ancestral home of the future house - the quaint little village of Borová (itself named after a grove of junipers growing on a hill above it).

However, there are also those - even including some current members of the royal house ! - who believe that the name was a nickname at first, referring to the rather worrying affection of the Borievka rulers for a certain kind of alcoholic beverage.

This drink, borovička, is a rather strong brandy flavoured with juniper berries. It has been popular in the Magurian, Beskidian and Carpathian lands for several centuries and is regarded as a traditional, national specialty. It has been produced ever since a lone Arabic scholar wandered into this part of Europe in the 14th century and gave away the secrets of arts like advanced mathematics, alchemy and... distilling. (;)) The royal capital of The Kingdom of the Tatras and Maguria was and is world-famous for its high quality distilleries. Even the current descendants of House Borievka don't deny that a bevvy of borovička once a month has (as they put it) "pleasant, restorative effects".

Whatever the true origins of the name might be, the explanation offered by the legend is certainly far more popular in the public consciousness than any of the more serious ones...
attachment.php

Last edited:
Please note that option 7 should be titled House Borievka rather than Kdm of Tatras et al.
I misread the text :eek:

Anywho my vote is not for mine but for Kallunagar!

I voted for Borrachia, what a great name for a country producing alcohol :).

I like the other Spanish language puns in the write-up as well.

Tsao

Banned
I liked Kallunagar had the best history, but I'm gonna have to go with Professor's flag.