Monarchy in Czechoslovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way that a monarchy could be put in Czechoslovakia after WW1 and be able to keep it? Also, once Czechoslovakia breaks up, what would the name be of the two countries and who would keep the monarchy in that event?

The reason i ask is because i hear that there is a lot of monarchists in the Czech parliament and it got me thinking.

Is there any way that a monarchy could be put in Czechoslovakia after WW1 and be able to keep it? Also, once Czechoslovakia breaks up, what would the name be of the two countries and who would keep the monarchy in that event?

The reason i ask is because i hear that there is a lot of monarchists in the Czech parliament and it got me thinking.
Well, after WWI started some Czech politician had intention to create Czechoslovak kingdom under some of Romanovs, when CP will be defeated. If Russia stayed in war, there is still possibility of Czechoslovak monarchy. I am not sure how would it work in case of breaks up. Czech lands were kingdom even during Habsburgs, however last Hasburg was crowned in early 19th century. Slovakia was integral part of Hungarian kingdom. It depends, if after WWI they created Slovak Crown and Czechoslovak monarchie would be personal union, or they annexed Slovakia as part of historic Czech crown.

Helps a bit?

Well, after WWI started some Czech politician had intention to create Czechoslovak kingdom under some of Romanovs, when CP will be defeated. If Russia stayed in war, there is still possibility of Czechoslovak monarchy. I am not sure how would it work in case of breaks up. Czech lands were kingdom even during Habsburgs, however last Hasburg was crowned in early 19th century. Slovakia was integral part of Hungarian kingdom. It depends, if after WWI they created Slovak Crown and Czechoslovak monarchie would be personal union, or they annexed Slovakia as part of historic Czech crown.

Helps a bit?

Ok, got that.

So no other country can give Czechoslovakia a monarchy in the event of Russian defeat? I was thinking UK, Balkan countries from their many different branches?

MSZ

Banned
Ok, got that.

So no other country can give Czechoslovakia a monarchy in the event of Russian defeat? I was thinking UK, Balkan countries from their many different branches?

The idea of establishing Czechoslovakia as a monarchy has been around, talked about by even some members of the Czechoslovak Committee in Paris during the war - but AFAIK there was no actual candidate for the throne, speculations of placing a Romanov were there as KACKO says, later some had suggested a member of the house of Windsor - but since both the UK and most of the Balkans had monarchs originating from the Saxon Wettins, there is the obvious anti-German sentiment, possibly making them rather unpopular (replacing a German Habsburg with a German Wettin).

I suppose in the event of Russian defeat in the war, and subsequent restoration of the monarchy during a White victory in the RCW, the idea of introducing a Romanov to the Czech throne might come back, but it is unlikely that the Czechs would accept it - by that time it would have already been a republic. Sure, introducing the monarchy is just a matter of a different 1920 constitution, but there wasn't a monarchist movements in either Czechia or Slovakia to try to push for it, even with a "domestic" monarch. The Russian Civil War would have to be very different for Russia to have enough weight to push it through.

Also, there were some speculation about establishing monarchy in wartime Slovak republic as Bulgarian ruling family had properties in Slovakia and their were often visiting. I am not sure, it had some real political backing but more likely not.

After the Ausgleich of 1867 which made Hungary a second partner of Austria-Hungary, a Czech complain was that they should have been third partner equal to Hungary.

WI Habsburgs give that to Czechs before they collapse?

After the Ausgleich of 1867 which made Hungary a second partner of Austria-Hungary, a Czech complain was that they should have been third partner equal to Hungary.

WI Habsburgs give that to Czechs before they collapse?

I don"t think this helps bring sbout s post war monarchy.

Wolfpaw

Banned
The problem with Czech monarchism is that the King-Emperor in Vienna is the legitimate King of Bohemia. Ditto Slovakia.

The prospects of importing a Romanov--a particularly obstinate House long past its prime, and Orthodox to boot--are dim to say the least. Simpler to get with the times and become a republic rather than trying to manufacture a native monarchism.

Most likely chance would be either the Central Powers winning or AH pulling out before it falls apart. The writing was on the wall to get Trialism going if for no other reason than to reduce the number of Czechs in the Vienna Legislature.

Afterwards? The Czech national movement was pretty influenced by the US IIRC, and the acceptable royal houses were reduced to Scandanavia, Britain, and possible the Low Countries.

Afterwards? The Czech national movement was pretty influenced by the US IIRC, and the acceptable royal houses were reduced to Scandanavia, Britain, and possible the Low Countries.
The Dutch and Belgian lower houses were very low on male members; I'd say those are out.

A Schwarzenberg would be the logical choice. Presumably this guy, a foreign minister in our timline, would be the King right now.

The titles might be intrresting though...

HM Charles I, By the Grace of God and the will of the populace, King of the Czechs and Slovaks, KIng of Bohemia and of Upper Hungary, Prince of Schwarzenburg, Duke of Krumlov, and Margrave of Moravia.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Kings of Bohemia, House of Schwarzenberg

King Jan (1918-1938)
King Adolf (1938-1950)
King Josef III (1950-1979)
King Karel IV (1979-present)

Last edited:
The problem with Czech monarchism is that the King-Emperor in Vienna is the legitimate King of Bohemia. Ditto Slovakia.

The prospects of importing a Romanov--a particularly obstinate House long past its prime, and Orthodox to boot--are dim to say the least. Simpler to get with the times and become a republic rather than trying to manufacture a native monarchism.
Well, last time imperfor was crowned as Czech king was in early 1800. After that... I wold say it was fair game. :)

A Schwarzenberg would be the logical choice. Presumably this guy, a foreign minister in our timline, would be the King right now.

The titles might be intrresting though...

HM Charles I, By the Grace of God and the will of the populace, King of the Czechs and Slovaks, KIng of Bohemia and of Upper Hungary, Prince of Schwarzenburg, Duke of Krumlov, and Margrave of Moravia.
Upper Hungary?

Yes obviously he will be a tactful and popular monarch who understands the wills and mood of the people. :rolleyes:

Upper Hungary?

Yes obviously he will be a tactful and popular monarch who understands the wills and mood of the people. :rolleyes:

Look at the lands covered by Upper Hungary historically, and then tell me that I'm wrong. Perhaps the Slovak version of the name Felvidék would be better though.

It has since occurred to me that I left Silesia out of the title. Oops.

Well he's also King of the Slovaks, he just calls the area where they live Upper Hungary. But I agree it would be a bad idea. It would probably just be King X of the Czechs and Slovaks, Prince of Schwarzenburg, Duke of Krumlov, and Margrave of Moravia.

Status
Not open for further replies.