A different Queen Victoria

So I was reading We two, by Gillian Gill when I came across a very interesting passage saying that if Queen Victoria's father had not made a will naming his wife Victoria of Saxe-Coburg as his daughter's guardian, Victoria would have been brought up by her father's relative. Mrs. Gill proceeded to guess would her life with her paternal relatives would have been like
If her father had not made a will, the guardianship and custody of the Princess Victoria would have gone to her eldest male kinsman, the prince regent. As a ward of the Crown, she would have grown up in the household of one of her many female relatives until she was considered an adult and given a household of her own. She would have grown up a Hanoverian from babyhood an habituee of the English Court under the direct influence of her two uncle kings, George IV and his successor William IV.
A Hanoverian Victoria would have been introduced as a girl to the notorious set that clustered around her uncle George at Carlton House, his opulent London residence. She would have met Lord Melbourne when they were dashing young men about town. She would have matched wits over dinner with some of the great minds of the day. She would have and education in art, architecture, and design from her uncle George, who was in the process of building the Royal Pavilion in Brighton and transforming Windsor Castle into a modern royal residence. She would have grown up with her uncle William’s bastards, the FitzClarences, and enjoyed the rough and tumble of a house filled with children. A Hanoverian Victoria would have been a very different woman, a very different Queen. History would have been different.

So my question is what if Edward didn't leave a will or died before signing it. How would a Hanoverian raised Queen Victoria's reign look?
Would she still mary Albert of Sax-Coburg-Gotha? Would the Victorian era be remembered as a time of dour restraint? Would Victoria be a figurehead for her consort or rule like her female predecessors, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Anne?

Quite a cool POD.

I think the marriage to Albert was arranged so that seems likely to remain the same. However the two may not get along very well. Albert was very dour in his way. IOTL Victoria had a sexy statue of Albert as a roman made. On seeing it, Albert had the skirt lengthened because he felt it was scandalously short. With a Hanoverian Vicky on the throne, the liberal age of the 18th and early 19th centuries may continue. More politically, strong bonds between Hanover and us may still exist.

If we have a more "strongly Hanoverian" Queen Victoria, I think the possibility of a marriage between herself and her cousin, Prince George of Cumberland as he then was, would have been more strongly pursued.

In original OTL, when William IV died Victoria inherited the United Kingdom and his younger brother Ernest inherited Hanover as Hanover followed Salic Law. However, if Victoria married George of Cumberland, who was Ernest's only son, then although Britain and Hanover would still have split, they would have been rejoined when Ernest died and George succeeded his father. Then any son born to Victoria and George would once again be King of both Great Britain and Hanover.

This could have some interesting potential butterflies on the Continent in the lead-up to the First World War.

Also could have made things different in terms of the unification of Germany under Prussia in the 1860's and early 1870's.

So if Victoria rules like her Hanoverian relatives would the monarchy have more power today? Or more specifically exercise its royal prerogatives more freely.

So if Victoria rules like her Hanoverian relatives would the monarchy have more power today? Or more specifically exercise its royal prerogatives more freely.

If she had tried that I think the monarchy would not exist today. Their politically benign and unsolved status is what in the long run kept around.

If she had tried that I think the monarchy would not exist today. Their politically benign and unsolved status is what in the long run kept around.

Not necessarily. In the nineteenth century, the politicians were much more used to a monarch personally intervening then staying out of politics. Today, yes Queen Elizabeth dismissing a minister or appointing a PM against the will and advise of Parliament would be unheard of but back then it was routine, especially if Victoria claims she's defending the best interests of the Nation. At the very least, I think the monarchy could retain its control over foreign affairs if we have a Hanoverian Victoria.

Edit: If Queen Victoria is educated Hanoverian and is intervening in Politics, I can see a longer premiership for Lord Melbourne and perhaps an earlier Peimership for Lord Palmerston, or his advise being heeded by her more. I would love to see how Prince Albert would react to a wife would is fully educated in her powers and won't back down to her consort.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. In the nineteenth century, the politicians were much more used to a monarch personally intervening then staying out of politics. Today, yes Queen Elizabeth dismissing a minister or appointing a PM against the will and advise of Parliament would be unheard of but back then it was routine, especially if Victoria claims she's defending the best interests of the Nation. At the very least, I think the monarchy could retain its control over foreign affairs if we have a Hanoverian Victoria.

Edit: If Queen Victoria is educated Hanoverian and is intervening in Politics, I can see a longer premiership for Lord Melbourne and perhaps an earlier Peimership for Lord Palmerston, or his advise being heeded by her more. I would love to see how Prince Albert would react to a wife would is fully educated in her powers and won't back down to her consort.

I would agree not necessarily where she a man, but a lot of why she didn't have only slightly less power than Wilhelm II was because she was "Her Majesty" rather than "His Majesty".

I would agree not necessarily where she a man, but a lot of why she didn't have only slightly less power than Wilhelm II was because she was "Her Majesty" rather than "His Majesty".

True, well that, her giving all her power to Prince Albert, and near obsessive morning later in life helped to delude the Crown's power. Not to mention her piss poor education was designed to keep her dependent on her mother and Sir John Conroy, not to make her an intelligent, capable ruler. Then again the only married female sovereign she could learn from would be Anne, and and even then, she was ill most of her reign and gave a lot of power to favorites like the Duchess of Marlborough.