WI: Lenin's untimely death

There have been countless threads about the Fanny Kaplan doing the job 'right', but here's one I have never seen on this site:
What if Lenin had been killed by the gunmen who ambushed him and Fritz Platten on January 14, 1918? The Constituent Assembly had not been dissolved yet, and there was still no Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. Russia would probably take a completely different from OTL (and there certainly wouldn't be a USSR). The possibilities are endless.

Discuss.

My guess is that this actually produces the cult of Lenin the Martyr, his successors manage to eke out an inglorious victory over their horribly outnumbered and far weaker opponents (like OTL), and that Smirnov becomes the ATL's evil dictator that ruined the glorious Soviet experiment. Outside the USSR there'd need to be a fuller scenario of global developments to judge one way or the other.

My guess is that this actually produces the cult of Lenin the Martyr, his successors manage to eke out an inglorious victory over their horribly outnumbered and far weaker opponents (like OTL), and that Smirnov becomes the ATL's evil dictator that ruined the glorious Soviet experiment. Outside the USSR there'd need to be a fuller scenario of global developments to judge one way or the other.

Isn't Smirnov a major general? The reason I say this is this has... interesting implications in regards to militarism and the Soviet Union.