AHC: Britain retains a non-settler colony that isn't an island

Is there any way Britain can retain one of their non-settler colonies that isn't a small island in the Pacific or Caribbean?

Bonus points if the POD is after WWII.

I've always thought Britain might be able to hang onto The Gambia. It's small, poor, and has little economic value. Otherwise, Guyana could be another option (since France kept theirs and the Dutch kicked theirs out), not totally unfeasible.

Guyana or Belize.
They're culturally Caribbean, so they're like an island.

(Okay, my reasoning is BS, but I still see those as the most likely possibilities.)

Belize.

I could see the trouble with Guatemala going differently in the 70s, Britain standing up to defend the colony, independence being delayed, and eventually Belize deciding it doesn't really want independence but a BoT status like Bermuda or the Cayman Islands.

What's the largest thing they could keep? If things really go bad in India, could they keep a part of India but the rest becomes independent as multiple states?

Also, dominion status or semi-autonomy counts as a colony. Just as long as they participate in the British government somehow and/or are considered a part of the United Kingdom.

Last edited:
Sierra Leone, in the early 2000s British forces went in with the UN, and were wildly popular, Tony Blair is still a hero over there, polling showing 70-80% wouldn't mind restored British rule.

Singapore and HK are islands. HK includes areas on the mainland but the core city is an island.

Not sure if that really counts or matters, but it was a stipulation of the OP that the colony is not an island.

/nit-picking.

Not in the Pacific or Caribbean though.

/nit-picking.

Anyone have any thoughts on Gambia? What were the indepdence issues there? Did Britain just dump it?

What's the largest thing they could keep? If things really go bad in India, could they keep a part of India but the rest becomes independent as multiple states?

I had this (sort of) as part of an idea for a timeline. Britain ends up holding on to Sri Lanka as the Dominion of Ceylon, with a constitutionally entrenched role for the British military as security guarantor, and holds significant sway with the ruling Tamil-dominated Liberal National Party of Ceylon. The rest of the continent is dominated by warlords of various ideological stripes, most of them quite flexible.

Singapore and HK are islands. HK includes areas on the mainland but the core city is an island.

Not sure if that really counts or matters, but it was a stipulation of the OP that the colony is not an island.

/nit-picking.

True that the Core City of Hong Kong is on Victoria Island, but the majority of the population lives in Kowloon or the New Territories. It's actually somewhat hard for the UK to keep HK long-term because of the strategic liability it represents, especially if they decide to renege on their 99-year lease with China. They recognized the PRC in 1950 and at the time, didn't seem to show much interest in trying to use HK as a bargaining chip, either then or later.

Wow, thats weird

Somewhat understandable when one remembers that the UK rolled into town during a decade long civil war, captured the rebel leader within ten days and were completely done with their operation within a month, then proceeded to stay for a while, keep the peace and ensure the return of freedom, democracy and all that lovely stuff.

Not really. The place is an utter hell-hole. If you had endured 10 years of brutal civil war, you'd probably want the British back too.

Somewhat understandable when one remembers that the UK rolled into town during a decade long civil war, captured the rebel leader within ten days and were completely done with their operation within a month, then proceeded to stay for a while, keep the peace and ensure the return of freedom, democracy and all that lovely stuff.

I've just been reading up on it now. It's sort of good to know that the biggest share of the UK aid money goes to them. Although, its a pity its just not enough. There's a good Guardian article I found from 2010.