• jkarr - Andorra-Navarren Union

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Petike - Grand Duchy of Lemuria

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Blasted forgetful brain.

FLAG CHALLENGE № 72: Protectors of the Realm

Your challenge is to design a military flag of an Alternate History nation. This can be as simple as a war flag or naval jack, or as complex as the branch flags, roundels, the whole nine yards. Good luck!

Challenge ends: Monday, July 30th
Poll Closes: Monday, August 6th

Good luck everyone!

The Professor - Empire of the North

Here's my Entry then [EDIT - not too sure about keeping the green yet]:

Imperial Military Flag for the Empire of the North aka Imperial Commonwealth of the Northern Realms

attachment.php

PRFU - Russo-Japanese Empire

I know it seems lazy, but I'm going to enter some previous designs made for a request (I've lost the link to the thread now I apologise).

This is the flag of the Russo-Japanese Empire

And their Armed Forces

Army, Navy, Air Force. The Army flag is my entry for the competition.

14xeycp.png

sxgja1.png

2mmizyd.png

j7g8lk.png

Martinus Paduei - Sudanese Army

With my minimal artistic ability, there is no way I can compete with the stellar efforts of some of the forum users. :( Still, I will keep plugging away, with simple designs which are both my general preference, and within even my rudimentary skill set. :eek:

I offer the Flag of the Sudanese Army, developed as was my previous flag of Kamchatka City, from my Danke Schön, Freiherr von der Goltz timeline. ITTL, Sudan was partitioned between Egypt and Britain in the 1920's, with Britain retaining the southern and western portions of the territory, along with a corridor running to the Red Sea. On independence, the country adopted a national flag symbolically representing the White Nile and Blue Nile.

The Sudanese Army flag contains the national flag in the upper left quarter, and in addition to the stated symbolism of the color red standing for the willingness of the army to shed its blood in defense of the nation, the flag recalls the Red Ensigns employed by the British, who trained the Sudanese Army prior to and during its transition to independence. The flag has actually been displayed in combat only briefly, during the Ilemi Triangle border war, when some Sudanese outposts came under Ethiopian fire during the first few weeks of 2001, prior to the implementation of the Westafrikan-brokered ceasefire agreement.

attachment.php

Which Tyler - Imperial Airship Force

IMPERIAL AIRSHIP FORCE

The Force was established in 1911, when units formerly under the control of the Imperial Army and Imperial Navy were combined into a separate wing of the armed forces. Its founding coincided with the coronation of Emperor Victor II, when the Emperor was ferried between London and Berlin in HIMA Helgoland for the dual ceremonies.

Shown here is the flag awarded to the IAF in 1915. It features a representation of a Class IVB Airdreadnought superimposed upon the flag of the Imperial Union – a fleet of seven of such vessels having completed the first air circumnavigation of the globe in 1914.

[FONT=&quot]
xtty.jpg
[/FONT]

Marc Pasquin - Republic of Quebec

ooky, here's my set. The first four are command flags flown from relevant headquarters. The smaller flags are unit colours. The laters' quarters colours varries depending on the branch the unit belongs to (only a few examples are given) and the name of the unit is embroided on the white band of the obverse while the reverse has the battle honnours of the unit (some carried over the traditions of their units as part of the canadian army).

attachment.php

jkarr - Andorra-Navarren Union

they started out as a medieval banner set of flags of a union between a surviving kingdom of navarre and andorra, but went really republican about halfway through so its now a union set of flags..whether their still a monarchy, republic or dictatorship is really anyones guess at this point, but fits nicely for the challenge settings x3

Andorra-NavarrenUnion.png

Petike - Grand Duchy of Lemuria

OK, my entry:

A simple set. The War Ensign and Naval Ensign of the Grand Duchy of Lemuria (a mixed Euro-African-Malagasy constitutional monarchy located in the southern half of Madagascar and the Mascarene Islands).

Both the war ensign and naval ensign share the same common basis, but have different iconography. Besides the two crossed flintlock muskets, the centre (green) field of the war ensign also includes the (demonstratably chipped and battered) blade of a traditional Madagascar polearm (it's a simple halberd of sorts).

More info on the country is available here and more info on its national flag and ducal standard can be seen here and here. (The flag and standard are of course not entries for this round, I'm adding links to them just in case anyone would be interested in them.)

grandduchyoflemuriaware.png