AHC: Colony integrates with colonizer

This is a really tough one, but I was wondering if it would be possible
any colony to become a full part of the colonizing country. Equal voting rights, representation in the national legislature, a stable situation. Note that the fused countries do not need to share the same culture, only have the same rights and coexist under the same unified government. The only example I can think of is French Guiana, but I don't think there was a significant native population to be integrated in the first place.

any colony to become a full part of the colonizing country. Equal voting rights, representation in the national legislature, a stable situation. Note that the fused countries do not need to share the same culture, only have the same rights and coexist under the same unified government. The only example I can think of is French Guiana, but I don't think there was a significant native population to be integrated in the first place.

Besides White Dominions?

Noooooooooooooooooooo

Colonization as we know it can't work like that.

Actually most French overseas possesions would fit your criteria. Most of the population isn't ethnic French though not strictly native. Same with St. Eustatius, Saba and Bonaire which are now integral part of the Netherlands.

Hawaii was annexed. Not exactly a colony.

It was annexed and became a territory, which American colonies are called. It later became a state. It seems pretty obvious that it fills the bill of integratin with colonizer.

Alaska would be another. Puerto Rico not to a degree since it wasn't colonized as much as the two already mentioned. The territories of American Samoa and Guam are different.

It was annexed and became a territory, which American colonies are called. It later became a state. It seems pretty obvious that it fills the bill of integratin with colonizer.

yeah Hawaii definitely fit the bill, and unless your strickly speaking overseas territories, all of the us besides the original 13 colonies + the northwest states fits the bill as well.

Perhaps if the 1956 Maltese referendum on integration goes different and is fully implemented. That would have seen Malta end up with a Northern Ireland-like status (Malta sends MPs to Westminster, London controls foreign affairs, direct taxation, defence and the like while a Maltese Parliament controls stuff like education or the police). IOTL the referendum was approved overwhelmingly, but it wasn't implemented due to a boycott by one of Malta's main parties and under sixty percent turnout.

Thande

Donor
IOTL the referendum was approved overwhelmingly, but it wasn't implemented due to a boycott by one of Malta's main parties and under sixty percent turnout.
Which is funny considering nowadays getting 60% turnout in a referendum would be treated as an overwhelming level of public engagement, and anything much above that would lead to accusations of it being rigged...

Perhaps if the 1956 Maltese referendum on integration goes different and is fully implemented. That would have seen Malta end up with a Northern Ireland-like status (Malta sends MPs to Westminster, London controls foreign affairs, direct taxation, defence and the like while a Maltese Parliament controls stuff like education or the police). IOTL the referendum was approved overwhelmingly, but it wasn't implemented due to a boycott by one of Malta's main parties and under sixty percent turnout.

Your mention of Northern Ireland and your name made me consider that country. It seems like Northern Ireland fits the bill as a once-colony that is now integrated. At one time, there was a good chance all of Ireland would go this route. For that matter, Scotland and even Wales could fit the bill, it really depends on definitions of "colony".

Which is funny considering nowadays getting 60% turnout in a referendum would be treated as an overwhelming level of public engagement, and anything much above that would lead to accusations of it being rigged...

Sadly, this is very true. It is now unfathomable for slightly over half a populous to vote in an election. Ridiculous.

I had no idea about the Malta referendum. Would be interesting if it was part of the UK.

Your mention of Northern Ireland and your name made me consider that country. It seems like Northern Ireland fits the bill as a once-colony that is now integrated. At one time, there was a good chance all of Ireland would go this route. For that matter, Scotland and even Wales could fit the bill, it really depends on definitions of "colony".

The thought had occurred to me, but personally speaking (and going into rather murky waters as a sometimes controversial issue) I wouldn't count either Northern Ireland in particular or Ireland in general as a British colony, given that prior to the Act of Union it was, at least on paper, independent, and that after it Ireland received the same representation given any other part of the United Kingdom. If you're going to count Ireland as a British colony then you'd have to count, say, Croatia as an Austrian colony or Poland as a Russian colony (and while those were without a doubt occupied territories they're not usually termed colonies)

No; non-white Algerians had pitiful little representation, everything "Algerian" being dictated by the pieds noirs.

More complicated than that.

1)Pied Noirs isn't a synonymous for upper class : you had european workers, little land owner, farmer without property.

2)Algerians isn't a synonymous for lower classes. Many great land-owners were actually Algerians.

3)The ones that had the decision power always come from metropole, and pied-noir representativity inside metropole wasn't really shining.

The locals had a even badder representation because it was indeed a colony, but as well because of the importance of traditional Arab elites in Algeria that wanted to monopolise the representativity of theses : an actual democratisation and integrations of Arabs would have meant less power for them.
Of course, many Europeans in Algeria, being in lower situation comparated to metropolitan french, didn't wanted to be on the same scale than Arabs, because it would have meant the end of their own moral privilegied position.

MSZ

Banned
Wouldn't just about every French Overseas Department and British Overseas Territory fit the bill?

Or the Kaliningrad Oblast?

Wouldn't just about every French Overseas Department and British Overseas Territory fit the bill?

Or the Kaliningrad Oblast?

France's overseas departments do fit the bill. The British Overseas Territories do not since none of them have Westminster representation. Taking the Falklands as an example they're effectively independent excluding Britain taking control with foreign affairs and defence. Since the OP requires that they have representation in the national legislature they're excluded.

I wouldn't include Kaliningrad as a colony either, if only because we'd then have to swathes of Europe (for instance western Poland) as colonial territory