The Half King

“THE HALF KING’S TREATY”
Early 1750’s
Logstown
Tanacharison eyed the French delegation suspiciously. He pondered why they were determined to build fortifications in his people’s lands. Nevertheless, he needed to inquire what they were proposing.
“Welcome to our people’s village, Capitaine de la Malgue,” said the chief, in fluent French. With that he offered the traditional wampum beads to the delegates.
“Yes, a fine village this is,” replied de la Malgue. “You seem to be blessed to be in such a fine location.” Tanacharison knew that these were stalling tactics to draw him in to whatever the French were selling.
“What goods do you want to trade this time?”
“Goods? My esteemed chief, it is not goods we wish to propose something a little more…beneficial for the both of us.”
“Tell me more.” At this, de la Malgue cracked a grin.
“We propose to fortify this area, as it is on the border of our sphere of influence. We wish to obtain your permission to build a fort on your lands.” With these words his heart hardened. He knew that this proposal would force him into submission and become a pawn in French hands. Though he liked the French goods and their wealth, he was not willing to give up his sovereignty to acquire them.
“No deal, our people will never be your pawns to sacrifice.”
“We do not wish for you to become subjects, but allies.” Tanacharison noted that the white man’s face was beginning to redden. The other delegates began to be somewhat nervous by their leader’s rising temper.
“Allies you say?” Tanacharison began to ponder. He could use this to his advantage, as they were allies, and he could bargain for stronger terms that favoured Logstown. He could make the French work for him, and benefit those belonging to the Six Nations in the Western Lands [1].
“I see. We may permit you to build a fort in these lands. That being said, we dictate where this site may be located, and shall provide some of our warriors to the site, so we know that we have some say in our ‘defense’. If you wish to bring some settlers to farm and provide food for yourselves, you may do so, however we dictate where they go, and they must provide 5 % of their surplus to us.” The chief thought this would be enough either for them to call off the deal, or for the Western Six Nations to benefit greatly from the proposal. If de la Malgue had been angry before, now he was ready to strangle the chief with his own hands.
“Why you insolent little i-”
“Um, sir?” asked one of the other soldiers.
“WHAT!?” The soldier brought a seething de la Malgue aside to discuss the current offer made. [2]
“Sir, if we accept this, we will have very loyal defenders on the border. Would you prefer they ally themselves with the British?”
“I will not stand to have an IROQUOIS [3] dictate the terms of the defense. We are French, and are above these sauvages.”
“Yet they provide us with men, allow us to bring settlers to give agriculture, and we can bolster the population of the border region. It will even benefit the trade routes.” de la Malgue could only sigh in defeat. He knew well that if they did not accept this treaty, they would side with the British, and this could cost them the vallée and they knew it.
“Fine we accept your terms, on the conditions that you cooperate with our Algonquin allies, even if facing fellow Six Nations peoples.” Tanacharison was surprised at the acceptance of his terms, but even more shocked at the counter-proposal. He knew that he was on thin ice with the first proposal, and if he pushed his luck any further, he could lose the potential gains for his people. He would accept, but he would get the last word.
“The council accepts your terms, so long as we get discount on any brandy traded through this region.”
“You’re joking right?” de la Malgue was about to give up, until the soldier who pressured him, gave him a gesture, suggesting to accept the one extra term.
“Yes, we accept your terms.” In his head the chief laughed. He had dictated terms to the French, and won. He would be able to gain advantage for his tribe, and his new ‘allies’. If they could achieve equal footing with les colons and coureurs de bois, then they would be able to be free of all the powers controlling their lands. However, that would take much time. What mattered most was to gain advantage for his people in the short-term, and if all worked well, the long term.
“Wonderful! We shall celebrate this treaty. You may return with your crews to begin construction, as soon as you can.”
“I shall return to Québec and notify the gouverneur-générale immediately. If that is the end of our business, good day to you, esteemed chief.” With that, the delegates left, leaving the chief thinking, this is the beginning of a new era for the Western Six Nations’ peoples.
[1]Mingos. I chose not to use this term because it is derived from Mingwe, meaning treacherous. Several treaties refer to them as settlers from the Haudenosaunee (or Six Nations) Confederacy. They were predominantly Seneca and Cayuga.
[2] Here is our POD. In OTL, Paul Marin de la Malgue lost his temper with Tanacharison and rejected the wampum beads, deeply offending the chief, only further promoting his anti-French views.
[3] Translates as “black snakes” into certain Algonquin tongues.

THE GOUVERNEUR-GÉNÉRALE
June 1753
Québec

Marquis Duquesne was in his study, meditating on the news that he had received. The Iroquois chief Tanacharison had dictated terms to defense in the Ohio valley. This act was considered unheard of among the Algonquin allies of the French in Canada and Louisiane. However he now had nominal allies that would be willing to comply with defense against the British. Securing the upper Ohio was extremely important in order to keep the trade flowing between Louisiane, the Caribbean Islands, and Canada in the north. This also gave him the opportunity to “fill in the gaps” in colonization between the north and south. Yet with all these benefits, he was still worried about the emboldened Natives.
“Something wrong gouverneur?” asked one of the servants.
“No, but I am concerned with the news Capitaine de la Malgue gave me when his messengers arrived in Québec last week. I do not know where we are going to get colons willing to make their way to the Great Lakes. Most Canadiens prefer the Saint-Laurent [1] and would not want to go beyond Cataraqui and Fort Frontenac [2].”
“Sir if I may, I heard that the political battle between the upper classes and the King over the taxes has continued to plague the King since he increased the taille [3]. I heard this from some of the incoming traders down in the basse ville [4].”
“Really? This is an interesting development.” Duquesne knew that his options were limited, but since King Louis [5] was at a low point, he could convince him to act quickly and in favour of the colony. Perhaps the use of propaganda to encourage the people opposed to the taille to move to Canada, Louisiane, and la vallée d’Ohio. In fact, if he sent the right people to the delegations, he could potential open French colonial trade into the Ottoman Empire [6]. “Get me Monsieur Le Moyne [7], I need him to lead a group of delegates to Versailles and request an audience before the King.”
You mean the gouverneur of Montréal?”
“No, I mean the gouverneur of Saint Louis de Ha-Ha [8]. OF COURSE I MEAN THE GOUVERNEUR DE MONTRÉAL!”
“Ay! D’accord, I will get him to Québec as quickly as I can.” With that the servant left the study. ‘Good,’ thought Duquesne. It seems as though this problem may provide a greater solution. Since war with Great Britain seemed to be ever looming on the horizon, he would need all the help he could get.
Fort LeBœuf
In the weeks following the incident with the chief of Logstown, the Miami chiefs [9] were coming to the fort to make similar offers with the French. Though de la Malgue hated to be bossed around by these…sauvages, he knew he needed to take away as many allies away from Britain as possible. So he would accept modified versions of the Miami chiefs’ terms, which he hoped could still save him face to the colonial administration.
Logstown
In the few weeks that had passed since the treaty, trade was already up, and though the British did not know it, their former ally Tanacharison had betrayed their potential fortress to the French, and they were now selling arms and knives to the enemy. According to some of the soldiers from de la Malgue’s party, the first crews and soldiers would be arriving in the next few days. Tanacharison knew that he was taking a big risk allying himself to the French, his sworn enemies. However, in order to make the Six Nations, Miami, and other ‘allies’ of the French powerful, he would need to keep his friends close, and his enemies closer.

[1] Saint Lawrence Valley

[2]Two different names for OTL Kingston, ON

[3] In 1751, King Louis had attempted to begin taxing the nobles. This failed miserable, and damaged his reputation to the aristocracy, concurrent to the previous damages to his rep among the lower classes.

[4] Lower Town, Quebec City

[5] Louis XV, if you weren't sure by now

[6] The treaty of Vienna in the late 1720's/ early 1730's guaranteed large amounts of trade between France and the Ottoman Empire

[7] Gouverneur Duquesne's interim predecessor as governor general of New France

[8] A real town in Quebec, south of the Gaspesie

[9] The Miami were allies of the British for similar reasons to the Six Nation 'Mingos"

Last edited:
Sorry bout the delay, it might take some time to edit or type up some of the posts, but here it is

LES RUMEURS
July 1753
Williamsburg, Virginia

Traders had been pouring in to Williamsburg telling outrageous stories about events occurring in the Upper Ohio. Some were saying the Iroquois had abandoned their alliance, while others claimed that the French had taken the valley by force. As the rumours continued to spread, Robert Dinwiddie [1] began to wonder, what was happening to his precious commercial assets in Ohio. He needed to investigate what had occurred in the past few weeks that was so alarming.
“Excuse me, you there!” The civil servant who heard the call came running.
“Yes, Sir?”
“Get me George Washington. Tell him I have some requests for him.”

Seneca Lands, Upstate New York

The village chief could not believe what he had heard. The Seneca and Cayuga settlers in Ohio had betrayed the British, and made an alliance with France. Even more shocking was the fact they had brought the Miami Confederacy against the British. These were too many shocking revelations for this chief. If Tanacharison, a respected chief of the Grand Council, had overstepped his boundaries in commiting this act, the Grand Council had to be be notified at once.
“Send messengers to the nearest major town. Ask them to send more messengers to the other Haudenosaunee tribes. We must convene the Grand Council.”
[1] Governor of Virginia; had interests in the Ohio valley

Last edited:
Don't apologize, just keep typing! :p

This is starting to get interesting. George Washington, if I recall correctly, was asked to carry out several assignments in the Ohio river valley OTL. Can't wait to see him ITTL. Keep it up!

THE MATTERS OF KINGS
August 10, 1753
Versailles

The only thing one could hear coming from the apartments of the King was constant pacing. He had been pondering his diplomatic and political failures as well as the opportunity to fix them. ‘Oh how I wish Fleury [1] was still alive. He always knew what to do.’ Ever since the courtiers announced a delegation had been sent to the King from the colonies, the King had begun to reflect unceasingly how he could avoid another crisis. To add to these complications, last night, Fleury had appeared to him in a dream. In the dream he said, ‘Oh, Mon roi, you are wise and tactful, but you lack confidence in yourself [2]. There will come a time when an opportunity to act shall be given to you. When it comes, I hope you will take the opportunity, and move with boldness and precision.’ These words had made the King more worried, but had helped him come to the conclusion that the opportunity referred to in his dream was the colonial delegation [3]. He would need to be open to the proposals of the colonies, as they might be able to turn the tables at home in France.
“Excusez-moi, courtier.”
“Oui, my King?”
“Tell the colonial delegation to meet me in the Salon d’Hercule [4].”
“But of course, my King.” With that, the courtier had left to meet the delegation.
Elsewhere at Château de Versailles
Le Moyne felt as though he was in a dream. It had scarcely been a year since he had returned to Montréal to continue his position as gouverneur, when he had been once again summoned to Québec by the gouverneur-générale. There he received word from Duquesne that he was to lead a delegation to Versailles to ask the King to promote bringing more settlers to the colonies. Le Moyne wondered how he could complete such a task, and now his delegation had gained an audience before the King. ‘I must present a very convincing argument to win over his majesty,’ thought Le Moyne.
“Sa Majesté will now see you,” informed the Palace courtiers.
“Well, all I can hope for is good luck and good grace,” said Le Moyne. “Allons-y!”
Salon d’Hercule, Château de Versailles
As Le Moyne, entered the Salon, he was amazed by the opulence of the hall he entered. Murals and marble, gold and silver, and a vast assortment of small devices dotted the room. Yet he knew he was here to present the king his message from Marquis Duquesne. It was then the courtier announced to the king,
“Presenting the Baron of Longueuil, Charles III Le Moyne, Gouverneur of Montréal [5], and his delegation from the colonie of Canada in Nouvelle France.” At the sound of these words, the king summoned the delegation to proceed.
“What is the message you bring, Baron?” asked the king.
“Your majesty, it is an honor to be in thy presence. We send a message from Marquis Duquesne. He says that he has received an interesting proposal from the indiens [6].
“What terms do you speak of Baron?”
“It seems a chief defected from the Iroquois to us, and demanded we provide settlers to till some of the lands near the fort. Following this meeting, several other chiefs proposed similar treaties. Furthermore, we in Nouvelle France know that we have some exemption from the taille [7]…”
“Are you asking me to set up a company to promote settlers to immigrate?”
“No we are asking for a lowering of the tax in the colony, establishing seven villes-franches [8], and getting a number of colonists and soldiers to the colony by next spring.” The king was so shocked that a lowly COLONIAL baron had dictated such high terms. Yet it was also a wonderful opportunity to bolster the Colonies. If he had heard his sources right, there was about 1,2 million [9] people living in the English colonies, while there were perhaps no more than 70,000 [10] French in all of New France, along with no more than 1,5 million natives [11]. Though this looked very good on paper, Louis knew that the natives would be no more than cannon fodder. What he needed was a long term demographic solution in the colonies. Here there was an opportunity to remedy that situation starting now. He saw that he could ‘convince’ some of his tax opponents to go to the colonies using these proposed solutions.
“Your terms are very high, but I will accept them. By October 1st, I will have 8000 citoyens ready to leave, accompanied by 4000 soldiers. I will provide 1 years’ worth of rations, to establish themselves. The franche-villes that you propose will be located at Louisbourg, Québec, Montréal, Cahokia, Nouvelle-Orléans, Mobile, and the Fortress where the native chief had demanded terms [12].”[13] Le Moyne’s jaw hit the floor. He could not believe that the King had just simply accepted the terms with very little consideration. This could not be all that he had to say.
“Your majesty, may I ask why you accepted so willingly?”
“Do you want me to change my mind?”
“No, absolument non!”
“Since you asked, we all know that this is the calm before the storm between us and the Kingdom of Great Britain. We are going to need all the help we can get against the British, and that includes in the colonies. I am sending a shipment of arms alongside the rations, and you are to use them to train the natives to use against the British. The stealth tactics that they use, combined with modern weaponry would be lethal against the enemy. This all being said, I have one condition. All the colonists must be catholic. Soldiers are not required this standard. Split the group of colonists between Canada and Louisiane. You shall remain here to oversee the preparations for the entire company. ” Le Moyne now understood the true nature of the King’s intentions, and was very glad for the support.
“Merci your majesty. I will be honored to oversee such a command.”
“You are now free to go.” As Le Moyne left the Salon, he was giving a prayer of Thanksgiving for coming to Versailles on such a lucky day.
Meanwhile, Louis summoned the court scribe who had been present during the delegation.
“Is all of that on paper?”
“Yes your majesty.”
“Good. Send a copy of the terms to Le Moyne and make an official copy for the ministers and officials. Afterwards, spread the word to the entire kingdom of the new colonial venture. I would like to have all the preparations ready to sail from Nantes by September 20th. No later than October 1st.”
“Yes your Majesty.”
“Finally, write a letter to King Frederick of Prussia. I will need to renew our alliance, and to do that I will need to offer a few…gifts.”
“Do we need to summon a delegation to present the letter?”
“But of course! Summon won immediately. That is all”

Logstown
As the meeting with the Miami confederacy began, Tanacharison exchanged the wampum beads immediately. He knew that breaking off with the rest of the Six Nations would have some fallout. Even now, one tenth of the Seneca and Cayuga settlers had returned to the Haudenosaunee lands, bringing ridiculous stories along with them. Though the construction of Fort Duquesne was half finished and there were some soldiers moving in to the area, the British traders had seen the fallout. He would need new allies to keep the rest of the settlers from leaving. So as he met with the Miami, he hoped he would have great success.

[1] Fleury was Louis XV's trusted minister between the late 1720's until his death in 1742. This is considered the high part of Louis XV's reign

[2]It is said that Louis the XV lacked confidence in himself, though he was very intelligent

[3]This dream never happened OTL, but since Louis is at a low point, anything sould be seen as a saving grace

[4] Medium sized Banquet hall in the Chateau de Versailles

[5]Le Moyne's full name

[6]Natives (in this case the Iroquois)

[7]According the research I have done, the taille was for the Kingdom only. Nothing was specified about the colonies. If someone knows otherwise, feel free to correct me.

[8] Free cities. Exempt from the taille (e.g. Paris)

[9] An estimate of the population of the American Colonies, base of the preceeding and succeeding censi.

[10] Estimate including all of new france, courreurs de bois, etc.

[11]Again, another estimate

[12] Fort Duquesne. He doesn't know the name yet.

[13] Louis was known to act boldly and all at once when he actually did.

Anything that has blaring errors please pont them out.
Otherwise, enjoy;)

Last edited:
I think that 'villes franches' is better than 'franche-villes'; and 'Sa majesté' is more correct than 'Son majesté' ('Son altesse' is said).

Seemingly, the diplomatic revolution which led to the Seven Years War doesn't occur since the Franco-Prussian alliance is renewed. Of course, I guess that if the war in Europe is delayed, the French and Indian War is not.

I think that 'villes franches' is better than 'franche-villes'; and 'Sa majesté' is more correct than 'Son majesté' ('Son altesse' is said).

Seemingly, the diplomatic revolution which led to the Seven Years War doesn't occur since the Franco-Prussian alliance is renewed. Of course, I guess that if the war in Europe is delayed, the French and Indian War is not.

Thank you I have edited
The point of avoiding the diplomatic revolution will be key later on, but for now ill leave it to speculation :D
enjoy
Diez

BATTLELINES ARE DRAWN: PART I

September 1, 1753

Ohio and Monongahela Rivers

If Major George Washington [1] had known what he would see when he reached Upper Ohio, he would have brought the entire Virginia Militia to deal with this betrayal. When the governor had instructed him to investigate what was occurring in Ohio, he thought there were simply minor skirmishes between the traders and the Indians. What he saw was far from that.
“This is UNACCEPTABLE! These red skinned devils promise us land and alliances against the French, and then they go and stab us in the back!”
“Sir, the French have a near-ready fort at the river junction, as well as a significant amount of defense.”
“Well if we cannot trust these Indians, then we will deal with them ourselves.”

Logstown
Tanacharison had been on edge for weeks. When the calls for a convening of the Grand Council of the Six Nations, he knew that he would need to have good reasons to explain his shift of alliances to convince the whole council. He had barely been able to convince the Clanmothers to not knock of his horns [2], and agree to the shift. To make matters worse, the vast territory occupied by the Miami Tribe and the Iroquois settlers made the alliance very shaky, but the recent alliance had been strengthened by the inclusion of the Wendat [3], Shawnee [4], Odawaa [5], and Lenape [6] who had settled in the regions of the Alliance. Even with all of these efforts, it was difficult to be able to show the Grand Council valid reasons to have abandoned the alliance with the British. Yet the progress made by the French had been evident. Fort Duquesne, as they called it, was nearly finished, as had the mild fortifications of Logstown. There were 150 French soldiers manning it, along with 50 Tribe warriors. The French had fortunately brought a few scribes and military engineers, who had resided there at Logstown. Even 2 Canadien families had come to clear some agricultural land. All of these things were proving to help the Seneca and Cayuga of the Valley, and the effects of similar treaties were being seen among the other tribes, but the council was loyal to their British allies, and this would be seen as an affront.
While Tanacharison had been pondering these things, a great commotion had erupted near the edge of the village. When he heard what was occurring, he could only assume the worst, British soldiers. Much to his dismay, it was a company of Virginian Militia, headed by a commander whose head looked redder than ripe berries.
“What is the meaning of all this!?” asked the soldier.
“Excuse me? I do not understand why you are infuriated.”
“Firstly, you dirty Indians tell us we can build a fort at this site, and then you go and sell the site to the French, without any guilt. You are all demon back stabbers!”
“You will not use that tone in my village.”
“I, Major George Washington, will use whatever tone I feel like to address you subhuman devils! We in Virginia hold much power in the British colonies, and after seeing this, I will make sure that every Indian in British, French, or unclaimed territory will be exterminated. Even if they seem ‘civilized’ like the Iroquois, they will all yield to Virginia, Britain, and their might!”
“If you will not leave, I will call the Soldiers guarding the fort and town to arrest you and charge you under both the Great Law of Peace [7], and French Code Civile.” The tensions continued to mount, but it was at this point that one of Washington’s soldiers spoke up.
“Sir, we do not have enough men to take on this village. We were told to gather information and return and that is what we should do.” Though he was angry, George Washington knew he would need to return to Virginia in order to gather enough troops to complete what he proposed to do.
“Very well. I have warned you, Indian. Next time we meet, your head will be on a pike!” The Virginian Soldier and his company left their presence seething, and wanting revenge. Tanacharison felt as if his problems were simply becoming far too great to handle. However as he entered the Longhouse to rest, one of the French scribes was waiting for him.
“I recorded all of it.”
“What? What are you talking about?”
“That Soldier’s entire conversation and threats upon your people.” This statement caught the Chief by surprise. He now had the proof to explain his shift of allegiances. He had proof to convince all the Six Nations to Fight against the British. As he contemplated his change in fortune, he began to laugh.
“Uh, Sieur Chef [8]? Are you alright?”
“I feel wonderful! Send a copy back to Québec. I will need French support for this war. Also, send this message to the allies of our alliance as quickly as possible. I will need some of their chiefs to accompany me to the Grand Council. I feel we have no time to lose if we are to be ready for when Britain attacks.”
Certainly Chef. I will notify the soldiers of the fort, and warriors of your tribe. This message will reach your allies by the end of the month and Québec by Early October.”
“Then as you French say, ALLONS-Y!”

[1] George Washington’s rank in 1753-4

[2] Means that the Clanmother strips him of his rank as Chief for failing to fulfill the wishes of the clanmothers for the village. They are required to remove the deer antlers from their headdress (a symbol of leadership), and retire to private life.

[3] Huron

[4] Only the Shawnee in Upper Ohio/Pennsylvania are brought into the alliance. Those in Virginia, Lower Ohio, and other regions remain independent but allied to France

[5] Ottawa

[6]Delaware

[7] The Legal Code of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy

[8] Lord Chief in French

Anyone who notices blaring errors, please point out
Otherwise, enjoy!

Last edited:
This gets better every day. Know that I am religiously stalking this thread. ;)

On-topic: Damn. That's...our good friend Washington is set to botch this even worse than OTL. This is definitely going to end well for him. At least he hasn't killed anyone yet. :p

This gets better every day. Know that I am religiously stalking this thread. ;)

On-topic: Damn. That's...our good friend Washington is set to botch this even worse than OTL. This is definitely going to end well for him. At least he hasn't killed anyone yet. :p
Noted ;)
Yes Washington is going to be involved in VERY interesting features in the future. This conversation will define him from this point onward

Was Washington REALLY that hot-headed IOTL, though? :eek:

I am actually not sure, however he was under pressure from the governor to 'solve' the issue. Part of it was the shock of such outright betrayal of the 'mingo' and Iroquois of the British. I will research that for future use tho
thank you for pointing that out :)

Might be a while before i post again
Need to examine Pompadour as well as the Haudenosaunee system of government so here ya go!

BATTLELINES ARE DRAWN: PART II

September 2, 1753

Sanssouci Palace, Potsdam

Frederick was curious to know why French delegates had arrived at his Palace, very determined to see him. They had to have a very good proposition in order to disturb him from his military exercises. So as the delegates entered, he was surprised to see none other than one of the kings best ambassadors, Armand de Vignerot du Plessis, Duc de Richelieu [1], one of the kings best ambassadors.

“Good afternoon your highness, King Frederick, second of that name, in Prussia. Sa majesté Louis, Fifteenth of that name, of France wishes you good fortune, and proposes a deal and treaty with your self.” This message was an interesting prospect, peaking his interest.

“Tell me more.”

“Son altesse Louis XV proposes an economic and military alliance.”

“I’ve heard this before. What can France provide Prussia to make me consider such an alliance?”

“Firstly, France proposes to cede Prussia the island of Dominica [2].” This was completely unexpected by Frederick. Dominica was a fairly rich island in the Caribbean, but Prussia would need a Navy to match its army to keep it.

“Is that all? France knows the Prussia lacks the Navy to keep such a possession.”

“Son Altesse also proposes lowering tariffs for all trade to Prussia, with special discounts on saltpetre, timber, and Spices. We will also provide naval support to Prussia so that it can build a Navy of its own” This proposed plan made Frederick very desirous to help France, but he needed to hear what terms France would ask.

“What does Louis want for these special ‘privileges’?”

“He wants some military experts to help train French troops, as well as agree to one extra condition.”

“What might that condition be?”

“In the case that Britain declares war on France or vice versa, that Prussia shall declare war on Britain as well. In response, if Prussia declares war on Britain, France will help its ally. Furthermore, if Prussia has interests in Hannover, France will support Prussia in obtaining them.” The first aspect of the condition was hardly a surprise, but the second definitely was. Hannover was a significant amount of territory, exerting influence over the free cities of Bremen AND Hamburg. To control these junctions of trade, as well as linking some minor territories to the Prussian heartland was a very tempting deal. If France will help Prussia meet ends and gain new heights of power, this could be very beneficial to the Prussia Frederick is creating.

“I will agree to these terms because I see that King Louis wants to benefit my nation as well as his own. As soon as we can formalize the accord on paper, then it will be official.”

“Wonderful! I hope this is the first of many good relations between our two kingdoms.” It was at this point that the Duc de Richelieu was escorted to a room where this treaty could be arranged. Frederick was very pleased with the offer. If France is offering Prussia some opportunities of glory, then Prussia could happily afford to help France in this time of need.

Chateau de Versailles

“Now I will need you to succeed in convincing the Dutch of entering into alliance with France. They have one of the strongest navies in the world, and it will be crucial to control naval affairs to win this upcoming war.”

“Oui, sa majesté. I will handle these neutral Dutch the same way I handled the neutral Swiss!” The Marquis d’Argenson was excused from Louis’ presence, and promptly left to go north to Amsterdam. In his mind Louis only hoped that the delegation to Prussia and this new delegation to the Netherlands would succeed. Though he was happy with his pré carré [3], but he had seen his subjects were not. He could not sit idly while he knew that the British were eying his colonies. Fleury had told him to be confident in himself, and he decided it was now time to do so.

[1] Friend and ally of Louis XV; served as ambassador to the HRE in the 1720’s

[2] Island in the Caribbean who’s economy at the time was based on Indigo and Sugar Cane

[3] Square field; Term used to describe France

As usual, if any errors please point out
Otherwise enjoy!

k so I thought this would take more time than it did,but enjoy people

BATTLELINES ARE DRAWN: PART III

September 3, 1753

Château de Versailles

From the first moment that she heard that Louis was planning to renew the Prussian alliance, Jeanne Antoinette Poisson [1] had been beside herself with rage. She despised Frederick, and would do anything in her power and influence to avoid this alliance. Yet in recent weeks she had noticed that the King had become more distant and all her attempts to entertain him, and even send him mistresses was not working. She knew she had to act quickly or she might lose her influence in the Court. If Louis would not reach out to her, she would have to reach out to him, and quickly.

Appartements du Roi, Château de Versailles
Louis knew that his withdrawal from la Marquise de Pompadour would create a very serious problem between them. Ever since the colonial delegation had arrived nearly a month ago, he knew he would have to face Britain as the British were always desirous to declare war on France. The only way he could alienate Britain was to ally his country to the strongest naval and land militaries in all of Europe: Prussia and the Dutch Republic. Now was the moment of truth. He would either get la Marquise to agree with him, or have to remove her from court, there was no other choice. So, he called his attendants to send her to his apartments, and waited.
It wasn’t long before la Marquise entered the chambers and the two were left alone. Eerie silence ensued. After several minutes she asked, “Why? What has bewitched you to consider an alliance with HIM?”
“He who you speak of has one of the most capable armies on the continent. No one since the Ottomans has defeated Austria that soundly and with his help, we have a chance against Britain.”
“Yet you knew that you would hurt me in doing so. Why are you wasting time on stupid war plans anyway? You were NEVER the type of man to be focused on military pursuits.”
“I do this because I see how ruthless Britain is. I need to defend what is rightfully French. If I cannot defend France from its enemies, then I have failed my duty as King.”
“BUT I KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU! YOU HAVE BEEN HAPPIEST BY MY SIDE! YOU WILL LEAD THIS COUNTRY INTO THE GROUND BY PERSUING SUCH A POINTLESS ALLIANCE!” All these words struck Louis very hard and made him realize that la Marquise would not accept his decision and though they were friends, he would have to send her away.
“If you cannot accept the choices I make to help my kingdom, then I must ask you to leave Versailles. You are my friend but if your hatred for Frederick won’t let you accept my choices as King, then you must leave.” Jeanne was surprised. She did not believe that she had become that hysterical in her hatred, but she felt that in trying to get her point across, her frustration had just cost her the influence over the King she held for so long.
“Fine. I see that my voice will not be heeded in this court. This is NOT the last you will see of me, your majesty.” She promptly left the apartment planning her next move. It took all his strength but as soon as she had left, he said, “Oh Fleury, if this is what is necessary for France, please help me find strength to live without her.” It was at this point that King Louis XV of France began to sob.

[1] The wonerfully famous Madame de Pompadour (also known as la Marquise de Pompadour

Last edited:

I don't see why not...it had already occured by the POD in OTL. Its really too late for France to form an alliance with Prussia as the Anglo-Prussian alliance has already formed. The British already had discarded the Austrian alliance in favour of Prussia because of their perceived better ability to defend Hannover from the French. This of course prompted the Austrians to look favourably on the French Alliance. A French alliance with Austria in place means no alliance with Prussia can occur regardless of any "gifts". Btw..9 times out of 10 Frederick should lose that war. The combined might of Austria, Russia, France and Sweden is just too great. More to the point...the political will of the two Empresses is absolutely solid, particularly in Elisabeth's case. OTL he got very, VERY, lucky.

Whoops my bad, it hasn't occurred just yet, but the arguements in its favour still stand. The primary mover of the revolution was Britain. Lets face it, the Austrians do have something on offer that theFrench want, and can get relatively without any trouble.

Last edited:
I don't see why not...it had already occured by the POD in OTL. Its really too late for France to form an alliance with Prussia as the Anglo-Prussian alliance has already formed. The British already had discarded the Austrian alliance in favour of Prussia because of their perceived better ability to defend Hannover from the French. This of course prompted the Austrians to look favourably on the French Alliance. A French alliance with Austria in place means no alliance with Prussia can occur regardless of any "gifts". Btw..9 times out of 10 Frederick should lose that war. The combined might of Austria, Russia, France and Sweden is just too great. More to the point...the political will of the two Empresses is absolutely solid, particularly in Elisabeth's case. OTL he got very, VERY, lucky.

Whoops my bad, it hasn't occurred just yet, but the arguements in its favour still stand. The primary mover of the revolution was Britain. Lets face it, the Austrians do have something on offer that theFrench want, and can get relatively without any trouble.

See a major factor of getting France to side with Austria, was the influence of Pompadour. She got the Austrian diplomats to the king in 1756, and motivated him to side with Austria. It was only after this alliance that Prussia was firmly pushed into Britain's camp. Since Louis has come to the 'realization' of the British War threat, he would want to have more leverage against Britain in the continent. By offering Prussia trade deals, an alliance to possibly seize Hanover, and gain an ally against Austria (potentially), Louis has a greater chance of wooing Frederick into the French Camp, leaving Britain absolutely helpless in the continent. Plus now that Pompadour has lost her influence in the French court, there is less persuasion to get France to ally with its traditional archenemy, Austria