Go Back   Alternate History Discussion Board > Discussion > Alternate History Discussion: After 1900

Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Resident Taiwanese Guy

AHC: Accelerate German Weapons development in WW2

I was just reading last night about the high-low pressure system and the PAW 600 anti-tank gun. Great potential, it had.

How do you accelerate German weapons development in WW2?
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVORYapple View Post
I was just reading last night about the high-low pressure system and the PAW 600 anti-tank gun. Great potential, it had.

How do you accelerate German weapons development in WW2?
Kill Hitler and put someone with true vision in control.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Kicked

Ditch useless V projects and redirect the effort into conventional systems.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
Moe Detective

So in summary, basically throw more cash at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilprodigy View Post
We only ship Kome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilprodigy
We've had like 2 winters and they are all lesbians now
Butterfly what is your wisdom?
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Figment of my own Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre27 View Post
which also kills ww2
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:37 PM
Viva!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wietze View Post
which also kills ww2
Indeed.

An organised, rational, far thinking Nazi state would probably not be a Nazi or fascist state
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wietze View Post
which also kills ww2
Not if it happened after 1941
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Vogel View Post
Indeed.

An organised, rational, far thinking Nazi state would probably not be a Nazi or fascist state
No, it would still be fascist, but not insanely evil like OTL. It likely gets some of the gains Hitler made such as Austria, but will back down before a full war. It would be more like Franco or Mussolini.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:08 PM

putting albert speer in charge in 33 to reorganize the horribly inefficient german armament production.

if your resources are limited rationalizing production produces miracles.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Viva!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieBC View Post
No, it would still be fascist, but not insanely evil like OTL. It likely gets some of the gains Hitler made such as Austria, but will back down before a full war. It would be more like Franco or Mussolini.
Well, I would still say that a lot of the dysfunction of the Nazi government equally applies to a fascist/corporatist government, so it isn't necessarily much of an improvement, hence my original either/or.

But, as you say, a fascist government would be more likely to back down, which I guess would be a win compared to OTL.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Kicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherlurker View Post
putting albert speer in charge in 33 to reorganize the horribly inefficient german armament production.

if your resources are limited rationalizing production produces miracles.
The reorganization and rationalization Speer actually achieved were more in areas of presentation than actual results, me thinks. The man was very good with graphical presentation and dramatic narration. Undeniably, he had some organizational skills and Hitler's ear so he could integrate better some aspects of war production.

But Speer effect is mostly, if not entirely, just a matter of presentation and comparison to a very low point in German production, namely winter 41/42. The figures come out much less favorably compared to some other periods prior to this reference point.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:54 PM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby View Post
The reorganization and rationalization Speer actually achieved were more in areas of presentation than actual results, me thinks. The man was very good with graphical presentation and dramatic narration. Undeniably, he had some organizational skills and Hitler's ear so he could integrate better some aspects of war production.

But Speer effect is mostly, if not entirely, just a matter of presentation and comparison to a very low point in German production, namely winter 41/42. The figures come out much less favorably compared to some other periods prior to this reference point.
Putting anyone in charge of production anytime from 1933-1940 would have been beneficial, Speer or not. Personally I would prefer Dr. Fritz Todt.
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:11 AM

Have Wever or no Udet or some different leadership in the Luftwaffe. but I am not sure jets happen (since their high risk) unless Germany is truely desperate in which case its too late regardless.

Go heavy on the V1 (cheap) lite on the V2 (expensive), so lots of money saved for air to air rockets and such.
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Grunt Bear

In (very) brief the problem with Nazi production from 1933 onwards was that there were multiple fiefs and no central allocation of resources/raw materials/manpower as happened in the UK and the USA - surprising as that may be to some. This resulted in multiple competing programs to produce a weapons system for a single purposes from multiple sources and the limited raw materials the Germans had being frittered away. Lots of "blue sky" programs rather than looking at what could be produced in the near term. Furthermore there was the tendency to over-engineer everything, one joke about German "stuff" is that they never use one part to perform a function when it can be done by combining three. This makes production and maintenance way more complex and skill demanding than sensible. They also would make changes to improve things way too frequently ending up with relatively short production runs, and too many "mixes" of models of the same gear making logistics/maintenance a nightmare. Lastly Nazi ideology related women to "Kinder, Kuche, Kirche" (children, kitchen, church) and their usage of women in the economy was incredibly limited & inefficient. ALL of this was before Hitler stuck his fingers in the pie with V-weapons, demanding the Me-262 have a bombing capability etc.

IMHO there was not one thing, or a few things wrong with the German military economy up to & in WW2 - basically almost everything was wrong with it.

Oh..and this does not even include wasting resources for the Holocaust, the "disposal" of both talented Jewish scientists/engineers/artisans and failure to use even slave labor efficiently.....
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloreck View Post
Lastly Nazi ideology related women to "Kinder, Kuche, Kirche" (children, kitchen, church) and their usage of women in the economy was incredibly limited & inefficient.
Myth, been debunked. More German women were employed then in any western allied nation.
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Not if it happened after 1941
By which time it is too late to alter the main course of the war. Change its length some one way or the other, maybe, but Germany is going to lose. Although it isn't too late to see some interesting designs reach combat.
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Banned

Germany's problem in WWII had nothing to do with weaponry or tactics.
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
A brilliant idea....for killing the only man by designed empowered to be the Nazi German brain trust. You've indeed accelerated a German something in WWII......the Nazi collapse. Europe's Jews and Slavs would be undyingly grateful.