Challege: Improve George Lucas' Career

Long Summary

George Lucas has had a long and storied career. He began his career with more personal, independent movies like "American Graffiti" and "THX-1138" before exploding into stardom with Star Wars in the 70s. He subsequently left directing to act as a writer and producer, helming the further Star Wars sequels as well as the Indiana Jones trilogy. Both proved major successes both as franchises and with merchandising.

However, there were missteps along the way, and signs of George Lucas beginning to become what he would become.
Return of the Jedi received a more mixed critical response than the other Star Wars films. This could perhaps be linked the Lucas being unwilling to do things suggested within the story, such as having Luke go to the dark side before being saved by Leia (I don't recall if she was supposed to have gone to be trained by Yoda as a Jedi as well; Luke was said to be the last hope, while Yoda said there was another, which was Leia), having Han Solo die, and having it set on the Wookie homeworld instead of having Ewoks. Return of the Jedi was I believe when Lucas went as nuts with merchandising as we've become used to from Star Wars. In 1986, Lucas produced Howard the Duck, which was a critical bomb. Willow, in 1988, received mixed reviews. 1994's Radioland Murders received negative reviews and was a box office bomb. Despite all these, his legacy was good. People forgave Howard the Duck, liked Willow, and ignored Radioland Murders. He hadn't directed them anyway. And he was the man who gave us Star Wars and Indiana Jones (along with Spielberg).

Then the prequels came out and everything changed. Fans, by a majority, hate them. George Lucas, in turn, has said his films were only for children, which I prescribe largely to a cop out. He also lashed out at his fans to get a life. People thought of Episode 1 as a fluke, and that Episode II would be better. Episode II was not better. Then we were hoping Episode III would be better. Episode III was better, and ok, but still suffered many problems which were overlooked because we just experienced an ok Star Wars film after 2 bad ones.
The prequels lead to a complete reevaluation of George Lucas. Some said they were just a problem of circumstance; that George Lucas was not surrounded by people willing to criticize anymore, and that he had been lured in by CGI far, far too much. Some said it was just Lucas himself, and that he couldn't write, didn't know how to direct, and relied on special effects instead of story. Some said that that was just something that was recent, while others went back and said that George Lucas was never any good, and that the first Star Wars was a fluke, or that it was all the other people who worked on it that made it really work, and that George Lucas did not really do all that much. Whatever the case, the people who had previously looked up to him did not look at him the same way, and he lost his icon status. Subsequent actions solidified backlash; his refusal to release the theatrical cuts of the Original Star Wars to modern home video (DVD and Blu-Ray), and his constant recuts of them to make them better. His disparaging of fans who like his previous work and are upset at what he's doing to his past work. His influence in the making of Indiana Jones 4, which received mixed reviews and backlash from fans upset at where they perceived they saw George Lucas in the production and making it a worse film than it could have been. The negative reaction to Red Tails.
All those things lead to a perception that Lucas was incompetent as a director, was careless with these beloved franchises, was willfully disdainful of the fans of his films due to his actions in tinkering with the films and making bad sequels and criticizing those who criticize his tinkering, and was only in it for merchandising money. That's a far cry from George Lucas as a pure genius responsible for so many great things who must have been great for giving them to the world.

Short Summary

That's the career of George Lucas in a nutshell. The challenge here is to make his career better. To avoid the missteps and to avoid the things that lead to Lucas being look at with a mixed reaction at best today. You can do that by improving specific areas along the timeline, or starting earlier and branching off the timeline. George Lucas, after all, could have become a respected Indie director, which is what he began his career as. Or he could have just remained as an idea man, which is what he was from Star Wars (1977) up to the prequels started production. Or you can have him get hit by a car at a specific point in 1985.

I read this as Improve George Lucas' Cancer and was going to come in criticizing you for bad taste...

Here's more a matter of the people he associates with at the time of *shudder* Episode I. Having people who point out the plot holes and the fridge logic, people who are more willing to criticize possible mistakes that can be done, instead of those he worked with OTL, who shied away from angering him.

Here's more a matter of the people he associates with at the time of *shudder* Episode I. Having people who point out the plot holes and the fridge logic, people who are more willing to criticize possible mistakes that can be done, instead of those he worked with OTL, who shied away from angering him.

Well, there was a build up to Episode 1, both in Lucas' relationships and Lucas as an artist.

In my opinion, it's kind of hard to improve George Lucas' career once Episode I comes out. Really, you should try starting early. Like late 1970s, early 1980s early.

The thing with Lucas is that he got so locked into Star Wars that he hasn't really done anything else. Sure, he produced the Indy movies and did Red Tails last year, but those have always been ancillary to him being the Star Wars Guy.

My suggestion would be to have Steven Spielberg hand the director's chair over to Lucas for Raiders, circa 1981. That would be right after Empire came out, so Lucas would be winding down the Star Wars thing. If that happens, it's possible that Return of the Jedi gets pushed from '83 to around '84, maybe even '85 if Lucas also directs a Temple of Doom analogue in 1983-4.

So if that happens, and if Lucas still decides to call Star Wars a trilogy after Jedi comes out, in theory he has another franchise in place so he's not just lounging about in Marin County gaining weight during the period 1983-1997. There's also the added benefit that Howard the Duck most likely gets butterflied all to hell in that scenario. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, congratulations.)

Of course, that also puts Spielberg's career in a different place, but he still has Close Encounters and probably ET as well. Maybe Schindler's List happens earlier than in OTL with things being shuffled about. Random factoid: Spielberg had been planning to try to get himself in a position to direct a James Bond film prior to Lucas approaching him regarding The Adventures of Indiana Smith (the title of Lucas' original treatment for what would become Raiders).

This obsession with improving Star Wars and Star Trek is starting to give the Nazis winning WW2 a run for its money!

The problem with Lucas is that after Star Wars he started to believe that he was a creative genius and that the naysayers were all fools who didn't understand his vision.

There was then the problem of the fan boys worshipping him for years and telling him he was great. That's going to affect anyones character. He had the original Star Wars Trilogy and the Indiana Jones being successful.

After that who do you listen to? Every critic would be wrong in your eyes and other film makers who don't like your movies would be dismissed as being jealous of your success.

Only Spielberg would be considered his equal and they were friends.

The only way to keep Lucas grounded would be a more moderate Star Wars success. That would result in the studios having more control of him and they could impose some discipline.

Last edited:
So George Lucas had victory disease?

I don't know anything about Howard the Duck, but it sounds like it was a flop, from what you're sayijng. Could it be made "Plan 9 From Outer Space" bad, so that Lucas gets a wake=up call of "Boy, whatever I was thinking just didn't work!" and go back to seeking help for what he was doing wrong and improving?

An alternative - what about TV. Was there any chance Lucas could have been lured into producing/directing a TV series? Honestly, it was more sitcoms in the mid-'80s so I don't know if a sci-fi series could happen, but if a network is struggling they might take a flyer on a show if Lucas is included, as it'll be thought to be a sure ratings success.

Of course, he'd want lots of money, so that could be a problem, but if there is a TV possibility, I see 3 options.

1. It does moderately well, enough so that he's asked to do others and he happens to be too busy and asks an associate who has worked under him for years to direct the Star Wars prequels.

2. It bombs so badly he goes back to movies but it also cures of his victory disease like the "Plan 9" analogue above.

3. It gets made and does poorly, but that's blamed on lack of quality acting and special effects, since all the money is spent on LUcas. However, like Lost In Space or 1960s Batman, its presence just as cable syndication and then the Internet begin to rise end up making it a cult following, partly because it's seen as so campy. The cult following in 1995 or so leads to his being asked to do a movie of it where he can finally work with *real* actors, CGI, etc.. Instead of hurting what seemed to be such a great product (Star Wars) Lucas is instead simply "proof few TV showstranslate well tot he big screen," and the big debate is not over whether Lucas has become really bad, it's over whether the show was really only good because of its campiness.

IMHO Plan 9 from Outer space is better than Howard the Lame ... and Episode III is the worst of all the saga.

Hell at least Willow was campy but a really 80´s fantasy film ...

I think he is much better as producer than director, as demonstrated in both ESB and ROTJ and the Raider´s saga ... he has ideas ( some good and some bad ) and instead of putting them on trial with a creative team he just adheres to them like his life is on risk ...

IMHO Plan 9 from Outer space is better than Howard the Lame ... and Episode III is the worst of all the saga.

Hell at least Willow was campy but a really 80´s fantasy film ...

I think he is much better as producer than director, as demonstrated in both ESB and ROTJ and the Raider´s saga ... he has ideas ( some good and some bad ) and instead of putting them on trial with a creative team he just adheres to them like his life is on risk ...
i like howard the duck, and i think star wars is not very good and over rated.
that said, if he didn't make star wars he probably would of had a longer career of making films.

The ultimate problem is the fact that George Lucas is often given far too much credit. Nostalgia often plays a role in how the Star Wars films are viewed, but the real achievement was innovating special effects. It was not quite like anything anyone had ever seen before unless you dig deeper. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope was strongly influenced by The Hidden Fortress. The original script was actually a loose remake of that film. Even with rewrites to the plot, Lucas was concerned enough about lawsuits to buy the rights to that film. Many even believe we ended up with Star Wars because George Lucas couldn't get the rights to Flash Gordon.

Indiana Jones? The image of that character seems strikingly similar to a character played by Charlton Heston in the 1950's in the film Secret of the Incas. According to film buffs, Raiders of the Lost Ark is a blatant remake of Secret of the Incas.

Did you know he came up with the story for Willow before Star Wars?

Indiana Jones? The image of that character seems strikingly similar to a character played by Charlton Heston in the 1950's in the film Secret of the Incas. According to film buffs, Raiders of the Lost Ark is a blatant remake of Secret of the Incas.

Actually, I've heard that one of the major influences for Indy was Tintin. I can totally buy that. Parts of TAOT had a VERY strong Indy vibe, the Sakhar sequence for example felt alot Raiders.

...because he couldn't get the rights to The Hobbit. Nor could he get the rights to Flash Gordon; he was flat-out broke at the time.

I used to believe that, but not anymore. I have a book about the life of George Lucas called Skywalking, and nowhere does it say that he tried to buy the film right to The Hobbit.

Stolengood

Banned
I used to believe that, but not anymore. I have a book about the life of George Lucas called Skywalking, and nowhere does it say that he tried to buy the film right to The Hobbit.
Well, I know he tried to get the rights to Flash Gordon, but King Syndicate had given the rights to Dino De Laurentiis, and they refused to give them to Lucas unless he gave them, as it turned out, more money than he had.

Personally... I don't think his career would've improved if he'd gotten those rights. Star Wars was simple and charming enough that it succeeded on its own merits, whereas when De Laurentiis finally produced Flash Gordon, it was far too obscure in its own mythology; it survives now only through memes involving Brian Blessed. :p

Personally... I don't think his career would've improved if he'd gotten those rights. Star Wars was simple and charming enough that it succeeded on its own merits, whereas when De Laurentiis finally produced Flash Gordon, it was far too obscure in its own mythology; it survives now only through memes involving Brian Blessed. :p

Well, and also the soundtrack is awesome.

But I agree with Devolved that Lucas suffers from (seemingly) incurable victory disease ITTL; from 1973-1989 he has a string of unmitigated blockbusters to his credit, and it's hard to imagine anything knocking him off course. Willow was the least successful of these films, and it made $60 million (off of a budget of $35 million) and received mixed but not terrible reviews.

Then from 1990-1999, all Lucas does is write some stories for Young Indiana Jones -- which I'll admit I know nothing about -- and count his billions while preparing to take a giant dump over all of our collective childhoods with the Star Wars prequels.

In other words: after Lucas does his good stuff, he basically does nothing for a decade before crapping out the prequels. It's hard to imagine him being humbled at any point in the 90s, because he was already coasting at this point. And it's hard to humble him in the 80s, because pretty much everything Lucas touched turned to gold.

So I'm stuck, unless you butterfly away all the good stuff way back in the 70s.