WI Iranian US Aircraft rebuilt by Russia

Pangur

Donor
I have been curious about the possibility of the Iranians having worked with Russia (post end of communism) to refurbish there aging US aircraft to the point where they rename them. What I was thinking was something along these lines

F-5 rebuilt with updated radar and missiles renamed I-1, the Homa
F-4 rebuilt with new engines radar and missiles renamed I-2 the Simurg
F-14 rebuilt entirely, new wiring loom, engines and missile lay out I-4, the Tiz

NOTE

The I-4 would be armed with the AA-9 Amos and the R-27, the I-1 & 2 with the R73 and the R73 and R-27 respectively.

How possible is this bearing in mind that the Russians at the time wanted money and the Iranians had to update their air arm?

It would probably be cheaper to sell the Iranian newer Russian made aircraft than to attempt to overhaul the American aircraft Especially with regard to the F-4 Phantom II and the F-5.

Cook

Banned
How possible is this bearing in mind that the Russians at the time wanted money and the Iranians had to update their air arm?
The Russians were looking for hard currency and jobs for workers in their aviation industry, particularly in keeping alive the production lines of the latest Russian aircraft. Why offer to refit obsolete American airframes when you can offer brand new Russian aircraft with overall better performance and reliability instead?

Pangur

Donor
The Russians were looking for hard currency and jobs for workers in their aviation industry, particularly in keeping alive the production lines of the latest Russian aircraft. Why offer to refit obsolete American airframes when you can offer brand new Russian aircraft with overall better performance and reliability instead?

They get hard currency for the rebuilds and they have a foot in the door for new sales

NothingNow

Banned
I have been curious about the possibility of the Iranians having worked with Russia (post end of communism) to refurbish there aging US aircraft to the point where they rename them.

Why would they? The IRIAF already had plenty of spares, and developed the means to produce more parts domestically.
Hell, the only problems they ever had were in keeping stocks of AIM-54s, and they re-engined their F-14s at some point.

whitecrow

Banned
I'm sure they're working to reverse engineer our stealth UAV they stole.
6235393951_b90f5c009a.jpg