AHC: Ireland colonizes Britain

That's right. With any number of PODs at any time, make Ireland colonize Britain instead of the other way around. Bonus points if this leads to an Irish Empire run from Dublin.

That's right. With any number of PODs at any time, make Ireland colonize Britain instead of the other way around. Bonus points if this leads to an Irish Empire run from Dublin.

Wait; aren't you in Hawaii on vacation?

Seriously though, please narrow the range of time for your challenge.

Wait; aren't you in Hawaii on vacation?

Seriously though, please narrow the range of time for your challenge.

Yes, I am, but this site is so addicting I can't help checking in from time to time, and there's a computer room in the hotel.

The reason there is no POD because I figured that this is so unlikely to happen that I need to give you as much time to create as many PODs as possible for Ireland to possibly surpass Britain.

If you want it narrowed though, perhaps to the 5th century.

Last edited:
The Irish Geals seemed to be more organised than the English after the Romans left, so a push by the High King (possibly to get rid of the troublemakers in his court) between 430 and 500 to win lands accross the sea.

I can see the Saxons and Geals in pitch battles, each winning support of local romano-british tribes - could Arthur become Irish?

The Irish Geals seemed to be more organised than the English after the Romans left, so a push by the High King (possibly to get rid of the troublemakers in his court) between 430 and 500 to win lands accross the sea.

I can see the Saxons and Geals in pitch battles, each winning support of local romano-british tribes - could Arthur become Irish?
Wasn't there a lot of Irish raiding of the British West Coast at that time period?

If Niall of the Nine Hostages had waited for another year or two, until Constantine III had crossed to the Continent, he might have overrun all or part of Britain.

Wasn't there a lot of Irish raiding of the British West Coast at that time period?

From memory there were Irish raids on Wales in the mid 3rd century and in the Viking kingdom times. I am assuming that the Vikings aren't counted as Irish so a possibility would be increasing Irish raids on Wales from 270 (ish) forcing the romans to build a second wall to the West (Offa's dyke 4 centuries earlier?).

These raids could mean an early exit by Rome, before the Brits invited the Saxons over. In which case we could have Celtic rather than Saxon as the base language.

The troublesome part would be to have something where you have the "Irish" element dominant in Alba - and/or recognizably "Irish".

It seems likely that someone powerful on Alba is more likely to dominate those on Eire than vice-versa, even if you get Dalraida but more so - heck, Dalraida's fate counts as a triumph for the influences on the bigger island.

It might be all Celtic flavored, but . . .

Maybe the Irish establish a kingdom in Wales or western England that becomes a tough competition for the Saxons, more so than OTL maybe they can prevent Wales and Cornwall from being cutoff from one another land wise

Scotland doesn't count.:rolleyes:
Yes because Scotland doesn't count as Britain right?:rolleyes:

Maybe the Irish establish a kingdom in Wales or western England that becomes a tough competition for the Saxons, more so than OTL maybe they can prevent Wales and Cornwall from being cutoff from one another land wise
Well the Irish did establish Kingdoms in Wales and Southern England...

378px-Britain.Deisi.Laigin.jpg

Trouble is if you have the Irish colonise England and not the English then the England-Irish will just end dominating the Ireland-Irish.
England is just fundamentally better than Ireland. Much more fertile, much better resources, much bigger (both overall and in terms of useful land), etc...