Irish immigration to Russia

I am trying to find a pod that would lead to a group of Irish catholics immigrating to northern russia/scandanavia
I am really looking for a date and suitable location

Kosta

Banned
I am trying to find a pod that would lead to a group of Irish catholics immigrating to northern russia/scandanavia
I am really looking for a date and suitable location

Ulster Scots and the Lowlanders got to both nations as mercenaries during the Thirty Years War and the Great Northern War, and I'm sure there were some Catholics mixed in the bunch. Why not start there?

Indeed, Irish Catholics emigrated to almost all parts of Europe after O'Neill's defeat around 1600. Spain and France both had leaders of Irish descent in the 19th century, and Emperor Franz Josef was famously saved from an assassin by an Austrian-Irish baron.

I know that the Russian tsars gave land to German settlers around the time frame you're looking at; perhaps they'd make a similar grant to a group of Irish settlers, if one showed up.

Thanks this has been a real help

I am trying to do a TL where the irish settlers don't change history to much but just a little if that makes sense?

Is a possible Irish settlement around the murmansk area plausible and an early Murmansk in 1700ish if their was a boom of Irish setterlers in the region at that time

Thirty years war leads to the start of Irish mercenaries fighting and settling in Europe mist notably Austria

Irish confederate war and cromwell's mistreatment leads to more Irish heading for Austria

Irish fight for russia during the great northern war gaining favour of the Tsars

Irish somehow losses favour with Austria (something to do with their kindrids involvement in the war

Tsar let's the Irish enter his country

Great famine means even more Irish enter Russia

Tsar gives the Irish titles to the uninhabited (no love for Sami) north

I want this to be as realistic as possible and hopefully lead to the modern day

My god! You want the Irish and the Russians to mix? those are the most alcoholic nations in the world! you could end up forming some ultra evil mega vodka/cider! ;)

Be careful. This can easily become a vlad teppes :D

My god! You want the Irish and the Russians to mix? those are the most alcoholic nations in the world! you could end up forming some ultra evil mega vodka/cider! ;)

Irish and Russian mix good god the horrors

Nah though their will be some mixing I am trying to make an area in Russia have a high Irish population

I just like the idea of an Irish army supporting the Russians during the Finnish war and then latter the effects the Irish will have on the revolution and so on

Why would the Irish want to colonize Northern Russia? Replacing the Volga Germans would make more sense or That Peter the great decides to throw out the Baltic germans that were relatively loyal to the Swedish Crown and settle the Irisih in their place.

Why would the Irish want to colonize Northern Russia? Replacing the Volga Germans would make more sense or That Peter the great decides to throw out the Baltic germans that were relatively loyal to the Swedish Crown and settle the Irisih in their place.

My idea was that they would go on to become a sort of grand duchy and then expand into Lapland during the finnish war
Also I was planning for them to build Murmansk earlier

This is for a TL that I am planning and if they settle in the Baltic then it stagnates as I already tried to make that work
As for the Volga Germans it again stagnates
Though both of these make more sense I was thinking along the lines of Peter the great sends them north because its a relatively empty place (Sami are their but the Russians don't care) and also because it's an easier way to bring that region under his control and out of the influence of the Swedish Empire

Cider!?! How very dare you sir. The English drink cider, some kind of fruit juice I believe. The Irish are a whiskey drinking nation. Whiskey and Poitín (Poteen).

Several Jacobites finished up serving in Russia. Perhaps a POD were Irish nobles join them with their "tenants".

Or perhaps there is a fishing angle? The Basques on the way to the Grand Banks were known to land is the south of Ireland (a lot of the babies down that way were dark for Irish!).

Perhaps there is a way to develop an Irish Arctic or Baltic fishing tradition...

abc123

Banned
I know that the Russian tsars gave land to German settlers around the time frame you're looking at; perhaps they'd make a similar grant to a group of Irish settlers, if one showed up.

Yes, this seems to me as good way...
Maybe if somehow some Irish accidentally saves life some Russian Czar, or maybe if Peter the Great in Netherlands meets some Irish or if some Irish becomes one of Catherine the Great lovers....

altamiro

Banned
The area around Murmansk is not suitable for settlement before modern (~19th century, i.e. steam ships, rail - basically less weather dependent) logistics to bring in supplies. While the area around the White Sea (Arkhangelsk etc.) has a microclimate that allows growing some crops, this zone ends very fast further north. Without a steady supply from the south, anyone trying to live there will need to emulate Inuit way of life...

abc123

Banned
The area around Murmansk is not suitable for settlement before modern (~19th century, i.e. steam ships, rail - basically less weather dependent) logistics to bring in supplies. While the area around the White Sea (Arkhangelsk etc.) has a microclimate that allows growing some crops, this zone ends very fast further north. Without a steady supply from the south, anyone trying to live there will need to emulate Inuit way of life...

IMO the Irish would not want to go somewhere where conditions ( soil, climate etc. ) are even less good than in Ireland. So something far more southern than Murmansk IMO is necesarry...

My idea was that they would go on to become a sort of grand duchy and then expand into Lapland during the finnish war
Also I was planning for them to build Murmansk earlier

This is for a TL that I am planning and if they settle in the Baltic then it stagnates as I already tried to make that work
As for the Volga Germans it again stagnates
Though both of these make more sense I was thinking along the lines of Peter the great sends them north because its a relatively empty place (Sami are their but the Russians don't care) and also because it's an easier way to bring that region under his control and out of the influence of the Swedish Empire

I was just wondering about how a North Russian Ireland would attract settlers as its not the most welcoming land and not really suited to the agriculture the Irish are used to.

I was just wondering about how a North Russian Ireland would attract settlers as its not the most welcoming land and not really suited to the agriculture the Irish are used to.

And a Russian tsar granting land grants for having done him or her a favor isn't going to deliberately pick somewhere completely inhospitable except as a bad joke.

Why do Baltic or Volga Irish ideas stagnate? Maybe we can help there.

Thanks to everyone your help is really appriciated

I am really looking for a region that has a very small population or one that the Irish can easily out grow over the time space of a decade or two

Why do Baltic or Volga Irish ideas stagnate? Maybe we can help there.

That (the Volga). The Russians were constantly annexing new territory by building new defensive lines, new towns, new military settlements, on a massive scale. This would fit right in if the Irish are willing to live on the frontiers.

I can even easily see some Irish settlers falling into the Cossack service class, there were already occasional Scots and Germans in there, why not Irish.

But growing out into independence is going to be a much tougher call. For one the Tsar wouldn't like it. For two, the steppe neighbours aren't exactly friendly all the time.

How about their being settled in the Birobidzhan area, instead?

Good idea but I just don't see why the Irish would bother moving that far away Espeically when most of the POD begin in 1600 and the Provence was first settled in 1857
Funny thought though Irish catholics and Jews living together....

Wouldn't end well