Airplanes with different parts

Various aircraft could have won the war, changed the course of history, or served a pet preference, if they used the right engine, had a different wing, or whatever. The Mustang happened, the Tomcat happened too late.

The Taurus engine was never developed to it's capability, and suffered protracted development to achieve reliability. It compared poorly to it's competitor, the Pratt&Whitney R-1830. But for them what wonder what it looks like on a Whirlwind, there ya go. It needed a broader propeller, or four blades.

Tauruswhirlwind.jpg

Finish hot rods

How about a Finish Fiat G50 reengined with a captured russian ASh82 engine? The Finns did build a limited series of reengined MS406 with klimov M105 engines, so a limited series of Fiats would be interesting. While at it they could swap the italian 12.7mm by russian UBS12.7mm for extra firepower.

How about a Finish Fiat G50 reengined with a captured russian ASh82 engine? The Finns did build a limited series of reengined MS406 with klimov M105 engines, so a limited series of Fiats would be interesting. While at it they could swap the italian 12.7mm by russian UBS12.7mm for extra firepower.

The Klimov engine is based on the HS engine, making the MS conversion a snap.

The Fiat conversion belongs to those "could be done but way too much trouble for the chance to make a turkey" kind of jobs. The Finns wouldn't have captured a La-11, but that's the one chosen for looks, and built-in oil cooler. Bonus is the pair of NS-23 cannons, and the G-55 enclosed canopy for warmth. The fuselage was lengthened for balance and stability.

Wiser to install a P&W R-1830 or buy some J-22s from the Swedes.

fiatg50_2_3v.jpg

Why a turkey

The G55 was a great fighter. Why would a G50 with an engine not much bigger than the original, but with almost twice the power be a turkey?
And an La11 is to late. I was thinking early late 1943, early 1944 at most, so it would most likely be a La5FN?
It does look like a hot rod, which was somehow the point. Cool of you to draw other people ideas, by the way.

Last edited:
The G55 was a great fighter. Why would a G50 with an engine not much bigger than the original, but with almost twice the power be a turkey?
And an La11 is to late. I was thinking early late 1943, early 1944 at most, so it would most likely be a La5FN?
It does look like a hot rod, which was somehow the point. Cool of you to draw other people ideas, by the way.

True, the G.55 was great, but the G.50 wasn't a G.55 at all. Twice the horsepower and 700 pounds on the nose won't happen without airframe mods. Easier to draw than to build. Armament, 2 ShVAK 20mm.

G50la5.jpg

Paul MacQ

Monthly Donor
Various aircraft could have won the war, changed the course of history, or served a pet preference, if they used the right engine, had a different wing, or whatever. The Mustang happened, the Tomcat happened too late.

The Taurus engine was never developed to it's capability, and suffered protracted development to achieve reliability. It compared poorly to it's competitor, the Pratt&Whitney R-1830. But for them what wonder what it looks like on a Whirlwind, there ya go. It needed a broader propeller, or four blades.

And now I see even better pictures great talent

Su15bis+

Not much to draw, since it would look much like the original, but what about a modified Su15bis, with R25 engines like the OTL version, but with the MiG23MLD lookdown/shootdown radar and R24 AAMs as a PVO interceptor instead of the MiG23P?
It would also make an interesting export machine.
Major advantage over the MiG23 would better vision for the pilot. possibly it could be made as a MLU for Su15TM machines.

Another one would be a maritime strike Yak28K, based on the Yak28I, but with a optimised antiship radar on a solid nose, temdem copckit like the Yak28P, R25 engines for more power, and a single AShM in an internal bombay with a revolving door Buccaneer style.

Not much to draw, since it would look much like the original, but what about a modified Su15bis, with R25 engines like the OTL version, but with the MiG23MLD lookdown/shootdown radar and R24 AAMs as a PVO interceptor instead of the MiG23P?
It would also make an interesting export machine.
Major advantage over the MiG23 would better vision for the pilot. possibly it could be made as a MLU for Su15TM machines.

Another one would be a maritime strike Yak28K, based on the Yak28I, but with a optimised antiship radar on a solid nose, temdem copckit like the Yak28P, R25 engines for more power, and a single AShM in an internal bombay with a revolving door Buccaneer style.

This may take a while. I'm having great difficulty fitting the missile in the internal bombay, Buccaneer-style.

Due to delays in the Lockheed P-80 project, North American modifies the P-51 Mustang with a single Westinghouse J30 jet engine and tri-cycle landing gear.

Jet_Mustang.png

This may take a while. I'm having great difficulty fitting the missile in the internal bombay, Buccaneer-style.

My bad, for the Bucc used to carry bombs in its internal bombay, with a rotary door, and Martel missiles on pylons. I was thinking, since the Yak28 had a long bomb bay and soviet missiles were big, that they could have a revolving bombay door, and pack the missile inside for minimum drag.

My bad, for the Bucc used to carry bombs in its internal bombay, with a rotary door, and Martel missiles on pylons. I was thinking, since the Yak28 had a long bomb bay and soviet missiles were big, that they could have a revolving bombay door, and pack the missile inside for minimum drag.

The Bucc required one pylon just to carry the targetting pod for the Martel. A problem with internal stowage is that you are often limited to the weapons it was designed to carry. Another problem with the engine mod is that the tailpipe drags along the ground. Titanium castors.

yak28special.jpg

Due to delays in the Lockheed P-80 project, North American modifies the P-51 Mustang with a single Westinghouse J30 jet engine and tri-cycle landing gear.

I think you have to extend the jet intake and mount the nose gear in a centerbody to avoid FOD issues. The intake reminds me of a failed Northrop mock-up.

The Bucc required one pylon just to carry the targetting pod for the Martel. A problem with internal stowage is that you are often limited to the weapons it was designed to carry. Another problem with the engine mod is that the tailpipe drags along the ground. Titanium castors.

Clearly an aircraft that should have been built...
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=198573

Here's a mini TL for it:
USSR see a potencial export market for a dedicated antiship aircraft in the late 60s. Tu16K too big and expensive, Su24 too far away and expected to end up as too sophisticated anyway, soo, Yak comes up with inexpensive solution.
The Yak28K was built as a mix of the Yak28PM and Yak28I. A new radar was fitted and to get good performance the jet was reengined with the R25 engine from the MiG21bis. Since all exiting soviet AShM missiles were regarded as too large, a new missile based on the ARM Kh28 was developed. The Aircraft was built in a number of small series tailored for export costumers:
Yak28MKC - Exported to Cuba (24 aircraft/1973). Optimised for high speed low altitude attack in a high threat environment. Single missile carried internaly, an option that was regarded as very useful by Cuban pilots since the USN tends to be very agitated when "Red" aircraft with visible AShM fly close to its warships...
Yak28MKI -36 aircraft Exported to Iraq in 1984. Extensively used in the tanker war with Iran. Modified to carry two missiles externaly, in an instalation similar to Yak28PP. 12 flown to Iran in 1991, later modified to carry chinese built AShM
Yak28MKS - 12 Exported to Syria in 1986. Similar to cuban aircraft.
Yak28MKV - 36 aircraft exported to VietNam in 1988. Final variant built, improved missiles and radar.

I only have 4 works in progress now. The Handley-Page Whitby, Bristol Beaumaris, MiG DIS, and MiG Ye8Analog. Any other ideas?

aMiGye8small.png

I only have 4 works in progress now. The Handley-Page Whitby, Bristol Beaumaris, MiG DIS, and MiG Ye8Analog. Any other ideas?

Love the MiG ye8 analog. Could have been made, could have been the soviet Saab Draken, would have been ideal for late VietNam airwar if they could build and export it on time...