Help Designing a Flag for New York

Hi, all. I am currently planning a timeline where New York becomes an independent country. Anyways, I'm pretty well versed in using Inkscape and Photoshop with my flags, so I will make the flag in the end, but I need help with ideas for it. Now, I want to try to avoid using the New York City flag colors, or the Dutch flag, and I want something simpler than the current New York flag. I still want blue to also be a major part of the flag as well.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hm...

Maybe a simple bi-color flag, with one half representing upstate New York, and the other half representing NYC?

Hm...

Maybe a simple bi-color flag, with one half representing upstate New York, and the other half representing NYC?

Perhaps. ITTL though New York controls Northern New Jersey and Connecticut.

I like the bi-color idea, but I also want something else in there too, whether it be stars, or a symbol of some kind.

BTW... Here is the map.

new_york_map_final_version_by_garudateam-d51bgs4.png

I like the bi-color idea, but I also want something else in there too, whether it be stars, or a symbol of some kind.

How about an orange NYS route marker shape on a blue background, similar to OTL NYS route signs which have a white route marker shape on a black background?

NY-2.png

How about an orange NYS route marker shape on a blue background, similar to OTL NYS route signs which have a white route marker shape on a black background?

It's an interesting idea, I just never like orange as a color. :p

How does a bi-color with New York's State Seal in the center? But somewhat simplified.

I've tried this myself. Its difficult, as New York lacks features that turn into a national flag well. The state flag is too busy. Taking the two colors the state has used for its flag, which are blue and buff, never seemed to mix well.

I've tried this myself. Its difficult, as New York lacks features that turn into a national flag well. The state flag is too busy. Taking the two colors the state has used for its flag, which are blue and buff, never seemed to mix well.

I know, I've been going mad trying to think of an idea. :p

Awesome map Noravea!

However despite that beauty I think that for a country like this you need to go with something crazy, busy, and even ugly looking. The kind that is so ugly they would even be proud of it.

Rather than basing it off the New york State Flag, the direction NYC has taken seems like a better option.

Looking at the history, you need something that points to both the Dutch and British origins of the colony/state/country. So rather than looking into blue and buff-yellow for the flag. The blue, white, and orange of the NYC flag might work better. Orange is never good as a color, well depends how you mix it.

But how about something like this:

US_flag_15_stars.png

I think that seal is too OTL/US.
What you need are ships and beavers.
So how about something similar to this Russian CoA?
Coat_of_Arms_of_Tyumen_%28Tyumen_oblast%29_%282005%29.png

Obviously it needs "sealification" to be horrificly plausible but it's an idea!

Deleted member 40957

Why not just a blue-white-orange tricolor like the NYC one, minus the seal? It'd be reminiscent of the French flag, so it has radical republican (small-r) cred, and hearken back to the Dutch origins of the country.

Hm...

You're making the tragic mistake of assuming the City is equal to us in upstate NY. :p

Regardless, personally, I like the Dutch heritage-style flag both Albany and NYC, so a orange-white-blue tricolor with the state seal (or some other ITTL imagery) in the middle would be best (if mildly boring).

Also, nitpick on the map, Rensselaer shouldn't be separated so much from Albany, they're kind of indistinguishable, only separated down the middle by the river. The former is a good bit more depressing though. :p

Also depends on what you consider upstate. Long Islanders call me upstate... even though I'm 5 minutes from Jersey. Pisses me off!

We're not equal to you upstaters... we're much, much better. (Joking, which part of upstate NY are you from?)

We're bigger than you. Your city smells of soup, and your population resembles New Jersey. A pox on you.

Also depends on what you consider upstate. Long Islanders call me upstate... even though I'm 5 minutes from Jersey. Pisses me off!

That's because Long Islanders are silly people.

Upstate consists of once you get past the narrow 'wienie' of the state around the New York City area, and into the wide area. That's my opinion. It's much easier to divided between Western New York and the rest, though.