We Served the Soviet Union - A Protect and Survive Spinoff!

Защищать и выжить: мы служим Советского Союза
Zashhishhat' I Vyzhit': My Sluzhim Sovetskogo Soyuza
Protect and Survive: We Served The Soviet Union

Introduction

Being that I was 7, my memories of the Third World War are hazy, for me it was long times in a basement, with endless games of "Go Fish" and the ticking of a Geiger counter for company. As I grew up, one of our earliest games was a form of football with the skulls of the unburied dead. I regret that now, but 10 year olds can be foolish indeed.

Our parents often spoke of the Soviets as a boogyman, they'd tell us things as "Do your chores or Orgokov will get you". But as I grew older, and my interest in history grew, I began to see the Soviets for what they were, people caught in something that the leaders had lost control of. For 40 years both superpowers had somehow managed to dodge the inevitablity of war. On Feburary 17th 1984, that luck ran out.

We can argue whether or not the nuclear exchange was preordained, on whether or not the last conversation between Reagan and Orgokov could have yielded a thing. Such things are what make good fodder for people in my profession, but I began to notice something. There had been very little ink spilled as to the experiences of the fellows on the "other side of the hill". That is a disservice to all the dead of the Third World War, and to the preservation of history. Some may argue on why we need to tell their story; I would argue, why the fear in telling it?

So, I and a team of three individuals travelled the breath and width of the former Eastern Bloc for three years. We tried to speak to surviving Soviet servicemen from all services, and all ranks. Barring the close calls to life and limb, we got a lot of acess, and people willing to tell their story. We spoke to former Motor Riflemen, we spoke to MiG-23 pilots, we spoke to submariners, and we spoke to the daughter of a Marshal of the Soviet Union. It may not be a complete picture, but it is a picture none the less.

I would like to dedicate this story to three people. To my parents, who blessedly, are still with us despite the cancers that are ravaging the ranks of Third World War survivors today, and to Gregori Armatev, formerly of Orel, RSFSR, who came to our little briar patch in the cockpit of a Backfire bomber, but who's made a home here. His son was one of my research assistants during our trek, and his language skills benefited our studies and saved our lives. Gregori himself has been a very active voulenteer at the War and Survival museum here in Lincoln and knows more sometimes than some of the curators.

If there is anything I can take away from my work on this book, it is this; The Soviet Union is no more, and their survivors, like ours, simply want to get on with the buisness of living. I think we'd all gone a little too close to the brink that cold day in Feburary.

Dr. Jan Halloran
Professor
History Department
School of Humanities
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
June 9th, 2012

Last edited:
Part 1 of Interview #1

Interview 1:
Yuri Volobriev
Major, Soviet Army (Retired, though there was no formal demobilization of Soviet forces at the end of the Third World War)
Former Commander of 18th Separate Tank Battalion, 6th Guards Separate Motor Rifle Brigade, formerly headquartered at Berlin-Karlhorst Barracks.
Age in 1984: 32

(All interview questions are in italics, this interview was conducted in English, Major Volobriev spoke very good English due to some time with the Soviet Military Mission to West Germany in the 1970s).

I want to thank you for inviting me in your home here in Stolin in the Kingdom of Rus. I understand you are from Pinsk originally?

Da, I was. At least until the 21st of February. Of course, Comrade Professor, weren’t we all from somewhere else before then? (Shakes head) “Kingdom of Rus”, such pretentious trappings the younger generations has sometimes.

Comrade?

Excuse me, it is a habit I have yet to break, my grandchild teases me about it often.

If you don’t mind, could we hear a little bit about your background?

Of course, I was born on April 6th, 1952 in Ryazan. My father was a mid-level party official, and my mother was a schoolteacher. I was a happy, but at times, willful child. It wasn’t until the Young Pioneers (Soviet youth organization) that I found a focus and a direction for that energy.

Oh?

Yes, it was when I first realized at the tender age of 10 that I wanted to have a career in the army. I was hooked on the stories the old veterans of the Great Patriotic War told us (The Soviet name for the Second World War). They left out the worst parts though. Those I found out about much later, of course. I became very active in the Young Pioneers, the Kosmonol (Soviet youth arm of the Communist Party) and DOSAAF (Soviet equivalent of JROTC). At 18, I sat for the examinations for the Kharkov Military College for Tank Officers, and I got in.

I did well in my studies there, and graduated at the tender age of 22 twelfth in my class of 250 in June 1974 as a newly minted Lieutenant of Tank Troops. Unfortunately, instead of an assignment to Germany, which is what I wanted, I got sent to Mongolia.

Mongolia? Why Mongolia?

Well, Comrade Professor, it was simple luck of the draw. They needed a platoon leader for a tank platoon with the Soviet Group of Forces in Mongolia. I was in that rathole for two years. I learned a lot as a Lieutenant there. Mostly, how one should take care of one’s self in the Army.

How so?

I learned that the Soviet Army was one shout away from a riot at times, Comrade Professor. We had all kinds of divisions amongst the ranks: Ethnic, religious, time in service. All of it kept the men at each other’s throats. The only thing preventing it was me and the other officers. We had to be harder and firmer than the men. There were fights, moonshine and drugs, equipment being stolen and sold for more moonshine. What can you expect from young men cooped up In barracks far from home in conditions better suited to livestock?

You make the Soviet Army sound like a paper tiger?

No, Comrade Professor, it wasn’t. The Soviet soldier was a hearty, hard fellow who would do anything his officers told him to do, without question. It was the fathers of these men who had taken Berlin. Sometimes, that led to problems as we would have men milling about waiting for an officer or a Starshina (Sergeant Major) to find something for them to do. Not for boredom, just simply out of “Do exactly what you are told, and no more.” It was this rote training that hurt us later when we came to face NATO. In some ways we were not the “ten foot tall Ivan” you in the West ascribed us to be.

May I ask in what ways?

Well, other then the aforementioned problems, there was also problems of design and production with our weapons. For example, on the T-62s we were issued, they had a hatch mechanism to shoot spent shells out the rear of the turret and not clutter up the floor of the turret. Nice idea in theory…sometimes however, when the shell would extract from the breech and instead of going out the turret, we’d have a spent shell casing zinging around the turret like an angry flock of bees. I lost a fine gunner that way when he had his skull split open by a spent 115mm shell casing slamming into his skull. Boy was dead before he hit the floor of the turret. The transmission lives of our tanks were such that we had to “rotate” which company’s tanks got used for training, and then left the rest of the battalion’s tanks in warehouses. We trained more on simulators or with sub-caliber devices to save money. And then there was the Stukachi. The party and KGB informers.

Don’t you mean the Political Officers?

No, Comrade Professor, I do not. Most political officers, the ones who were any damn good anyhow, did their best by the men. They got them movies, trips off post to stretch their legs (this was more common when I was in Germany) and did whatever they could for those boys. The bad ones, well, they just quoted Marx and Lenin like it was holy writ and expected we’d all just fall into line. Those men were universally despised. No, the informers were worse. We didn’t know who they were. They were almost never officers, but invariably, it was officers who were most often arrested by their actions. They’d watch for signs of disloyalty and “anti-Soviet” behavior, but did they do anything about the moonshine, the rape, or the beatings in the barracks? No.

Why not?

It served the Party’s purpose you see. If the army was divided, looking over its shoulder and too busy warring internally, then it wouldn’t turn on the Party and the KGB and give the bastards the good kicking they deserved, in hindsight. But I didn’t think any of this then. No, I still was a “New Soviet Man” and was trying to work my way out of Mongolia to a good posting with 3rd Shock Army in Germany so I could be there when we gave the “German Fascist Hyenas” a good kicking again. I finally managed to get out of Mongolia in August of 1976. Of course, I again didn’t get to go to Germany, but I got a pretty decent consolation prize, or so I thought. I was posted to the Taman Guards Division near Moscow as a newly promoted Senior Lieutenant. It was then that I learned the old adage, “be careful what you wish for”.

END PART 1

Last edited:
Subscribed

Very good. So far, Very much in tone with what i Imagine this Timeline to develop. And really, finally, a "Red" Account.

Good luck!

Interlude
A son leaves home

New Hemmingford, Nebraska (20 mi NNW of Lincoln)
May 6th, 2009

James Armatev's palms were sweating overtime, his father had always been very touchy about talking about "times before". So much so, he'd actually raised his voice and cursed in Russian at James over it. How do I tell Dad I am going into the belly of his beast for two years? It was something his father almost never did. Gregori was more American than most Americans post-war. To him post-nuclear America was still more of a land of plenty then the old Soviet Union had ever been.

James was born in 1989, and the recovery was a hazy memory, he'd never really known the horrors of the post-attack period, or the emergency decrees. Granted, as a student of history, he dispassionatly knew they were needed, but his dad having to shoot Neo-Nazi remnants to protect himself, mom and their farm made the dispassionate facts all too real. His father still had the Winchester .30-30 over the fireplace and the Makarov close at hand, though there hadn't been any real trouble in the county in the last ten years. Old habits really do die hard I guess.

James made his way through the old farmhouse, into his father's office, which was piled high with stacks of papers, both from the book his father banged away at with the old Smith-Corona and the bills and ledgers needed to keep the farm running. A Coleman burned in the corner, well away from the papers that could turn the room into a pyre if one wasn't careful. But Gregori wasn't working on either the books, or his book tonight, he was nursing a tumbler of vodka, a wan smile on his face.

"I already know James. I speak to Dr. Halloran all the time. Did you think you could keep this from me?" Gregori's voice sounded like a cement mixer full of gravel, yet it filled the room with a betrayed mirth.

"Nyet, Father." James spoke, his voice sounding weaker than he had intended.

Gregori exhaled, and turned in his chair to face James "Then you came to tell me?"

"Da, I did"

"Alright then, then you are the lad I raised, sit. Have a vodka, you are a man now. You're leaving home."

James took the proffered drink and smiled wanly. "You're not angry, Dad?"

"No, Joseph Igoravich, I am not. You have questions. Plus, you are becoming a very capable historian. Dr Halloran is proud of you and he said you were his first choice as one of his research assistants." Gregori's face split with a beaming smile of pride, and of a bit too much Vodka.

"But why the anger whenever I asked?"

"Too soon my boy, too soon. I left a life over there. A wife, two sisters you will never know. All of that gone in a flash. And I almost did the same to a bunch of people who became my neighbors. You know your mother lived 6 miles from the rail yard. She would have been killed most certainly."

"Then I have your blessing-?"

"Yes, and I will tan your hide if you do not go. I have some things for you."

He handed James a letter and a parcel. "Leave the letter as close as you can get to Orel. It's for my Svetlana, and our two girls, Laika and Katarina. Don't read it. It's for them. The other? It's some photos and my diary from the old days. It's last entry is after the trial. Read it before you go. Perhaps it will explain some things..Why I don't talk about it."

James gulped and fought back tears, "Dad, you want to give your story for the book?"

"Yes, but later, now, I drink with my son, who is now a man. Later we'll smash the glasses and visit your mother's grave out back. She would be so proud of you. Just promise me something?"

"Anything Dad."

"No stupid risks, you listen to Dr J. You're still my son, and though you are a man, I worry. You'll understand that when you have kids of your own. Perhaps, if we had loved our kids more, your world would be a paradise, instead of this scarred one we have..."

James nodded, and sipped his vodka.

Last edited:
(Joanne holds a gun to her own temple and pulls roughly on her own blouse) "Alright, give us another update or the lesbian in the Army Jacket GETS IT!"

"Hold it, men, she's not bluffing"

"Do what she says, she just crazy enough to DO IT!"

Metro

Maybe include a mention to Moscow metro system as it can be used as nuclear bomb shelter. The name of the section is the Arbatsko–Pokrovskaya Line which has some deep sections.

AM,
I would love to use in my story, except for the fact that there was anywhere from 100-300 GZs in the Moscow area alone according to Last Flight of XM594. So, even if the shelters are intact, I think the folks in them are basically entombed.

AM,
I would love to use in my story, except for the fact that there was anywhere from 100-300 GZs in the Moscow area alone according to Last Flight of XM594. So, even if the shelters are intact, I think the folks in them are basically entombed.
Yeah, they're buiried alive, then after enough time, they're just buried.