Whiskey on the Rocks, The Soviet-Swedish War of 1981

I was cleaning up the files on my computer and found this. Let me know if you guys want to see more. Enjoy.

Whiskey on the Rocks, The Soviet-Swedish War of 1981

AMH-5540 Modern Western Military History
University of South Florida
Professor John Smith
April 23 2012

This is a reading of the material cover in class. The First few minutes are not covered because they deal with house keep and attended.

Class today we are covering the Soviet-Swedish War of 1981, a part of the wider Cold War which we have been covering for the past few weeks. Though never officially a war, since neither side officially declared war against each other. But it was a war with one of the highest casualty rate seen in a short war. The war started on October 27 1981 and lasted till a UN back cease fire when into effect on November 1 of the same year.

A total of six days, lest than a week, but it was does six days that brought a world to a halt. Many of you are too young to remember the war, or even the after math of it. But let me say this, as a sergeant in the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment station inside West Germany, it put everyone was one edge. It was the only time all the US forces with Germany had ever been on DEFCON 2 alert. Many people in the military thought Ivan would come crashing thought the Fulda Gap at any second.

To this day we don't know you fired the first shots of the war, but is what we do know for sure. The Soviet submarine S-363[1], and old Whiskey class submarine ran aground just outside the main Swedish naval base at Karlskrona in the early morning hours of October 27 1981. It surface soon after. It was well within Swedish territory waters, and the Swedish soon learned of this breach of neutrality.

Soon after the Swedish Navy send an unarmed officer to speak to captain of the S-363. The captain of the S-363 claimed his boat had simultaneous failures of his navigational equipment, despite the fact he have cleared a series of treacherous rocks, straits, and island to get to where he was. The Swedish Navy then offered to help S-363 leave the area, which was turned down by the captain of the S-363.

At the same time the Soviet Navy put together a large rescue task force to help the S-363. This task force was made up of ocean going tug boats, destroyers, and frigates. The Swedish Air Force spotted this task force in international waters. Then Swedish Prime Minister Thorbjorn Falldin gave his famous "Hold the Border" order on learning of the Soviet fleet.

After the "Hold the Border" order when out all of the Swedish military when on to high alert. The Air Force armed their strike fighters with their most advance anti-ship missiles, and their fighters with anti-air weapons. Their anti-ship batteries were fully man, and there radars were turned on.

At 17:31 hours local time, the Soviet task force reached the 12mile territorial limit of Swedish waters, at which time the Swedish when to their war time radar frequency hopping mode. We don't know if this was to scare the Soviets away or their getting ready fire on the Soviets. As I said before no one knows who fired first.

But as the first missiles landed all sides started to fire more missiles. Aircraft were scrambled to support both sides. It ended 35 minutes later the Soviet Fleet withdrew with heavy losses. But the Soviets also gave it back to the Swedish.[2]

Five minutes later after the Battle of Karlskrona started, both side scrambled their air forces.

[1] ITL the S-363 have no nuclear weapons on board her.
[2] Soviets losses, 1 Kashin Class DDs, 3 Mirka Class FFs, and two Ocean going tugs sunk. 3 more ships damaged. Swedish losses 5 Mobile missiles batteries lost, 4 radar sites, 2 mobile gun batteries.

Interested. What is the 'butterfly differences' in this ATL's future/present due to this near-WW3-making cluster fu*k?

I'm interested in how they avoided the apocalypse, especially since the Reagan Administration was very anti-communist at the time.

The first sign of trouble was picked up by an USAF E-3 Sentry orbiting near Hamburg. It picked up the sortie of Swedish Air Force around 0921 local time. The crew of E-3 were trying to make since of the Swedish sortie. When they radio in to command about the Swedish sortie, they were order to fly north and take up an orbit near Copenhagen to learn more about this Swedish sortie. They were met in route to their new station by a pair Danish Air Force F-16s. What they were about to watch on their radar scopes was the first meeting between the Swedish and Soviet Air Forces.

The Swedish had sortie their Saab 37 Viggen fighters. They were either with Shyflash and SIdewinder missiles. To attack the Soviet fleet, they sent in their Saab 35 Draken and Saab 32 Lansen fighter bombers. The Soviets sent in fighters to cover the withdraw of their fleet, as they got ready for a counter strike against Sweden. These aircraft included the MiG-25 Foxbat and Mig-21 Fishbed.

In the first meeting between modern missile arm fighters was a draw. The Swedish managed to finish off another Mirka class frigate that had been damaged in the Battle of Karlskrona that had just ended when the Swedish Air Force arrived on the sight. They also sunk a Krivak Class frigate in shallow waters. This would later prove to be a great intelligence coup once the war was over. They damaged a number of other ships in Soviet fleet in their strike. The Soviets did strike back with their SAMs and Triple A guns blasted 18 Swedish fighter-bombers out the sky on the cold October morning.

The Viggen fighters who were there to keep the skies clear for the fighter bombers picked up the Soviet fighters on their radar scopes as the fighter bombers were going in on the first wave. They let use with their Skyflash missiles, downing 11 fighters, for the 36 missiles they let loose. Then it began a fur ball the likes of which hadn't been seen since World War 2. Each side took their licks in it, but the Swedish withdrew in good order, once their fighter bombers were clear of the targets. The remaining Soviet fighter formed a CAP over the withdrawing fleet.

As all of this was happing the S-363 which had cause all of this, was being boarded by a team from the Swedish Army. The Soviet sailors fought the Swedish off long enough to set off the scuttling charges within the S-363. This killed most everyone on board the boat at the time. Only 2 Swedish soldiers and 3 Soviet sailors came out alive, badly wounded but alive.

The shocked crew of the E-3 Sentry relayed what they were seeing on their scopes to NATO command in Brussels. Who in turn passed this information on to Washington, London, and Paris.

Just a tiny nitpick the J-35 was a pure interceptor in Swedish sevice, AJ-37, A-32 (none were in frontline use in 1982) and SK-105 where attack aircraft

Basically an extremely interesting scenario, however I strongly suggest you get a beta reader. Sorry to be so blunt, but reading this stuff is torture.

Basically an extremely interesting scenario, however I strongly suggest you get a beta reader. Sorry to be so blunt, but reading this stuff is torture.

I used to have a problem with it back in 817 1.0 but I got used to it, I guess. Doesn't even bother me anymore.

Just a tiny nitpick the J-35 was a pure interceptor in Swedish sevice, AJ-37, A-32 (none were in frontline use in 1982) and SK-105 where attack aircraft
I didn't know.

Its been said before, I know the bulk of the time by writing can be a hard read, but compared to were I was when I started AA 817 1.0, I think I had come a long way in improving my writting skills. And given time, I think my writting will improve even more.

I didn't know.

Its been said before, I know the bulk of the time by writing can be a hard read, but compared to were I was when I started AA 817 1.0, I think I had come a long way in improving my writting skills. And given time, I think my writting will improve even more.

It's definitely improved since then.

As both the Swedish and Soviets withdrew from the Battle of Karlskrona, both sides were figuring out where to go from there. For the Swedish, all they cared about was maintaining the border And they might of been willing to agree to a cease fire with the Soviets and work out the problems in front of the UN. The Swedish government issued a new ROE for their military. Any Soviet Unit inside Swedish territory was now free game. Outside Swedish territory, their military was only to fire if fire on.

But for the Soviets, they wanted to so they were the masters of the Baltic. And with the losses they took in the Battle of Karlskrona, showed they were weak something the Soviets didn't want. At 1632 Leonid Brezhnev order a squadron of Tu-16 bombers armed with anti-shipping missiles to take off and sink the Swedish Navy. Brezhnev also ordered the submarines of the Baltic Fleet to attack Swedish warships.

As this was going on, news of the Battle of Karlskrona was reaching President Ronald Reagan and Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Both leaders were worried about what the Soviets were doing in the Baltic and Sweden. But since neither government had any kind of defense treaty with Sweden, they could do nothing more than offer support to Sweden. And put limited pressure on the Soviets to back down. But they also took steps to keep from being caught with their pants down. Reagan put his strategic force on DEFCON 3 alert, and the rest of the US military on DEFCON 4 alert. The British followed suit and raised their threat levels.

As the Squadron of Tu-16 were taking off the Soviet Submarine B-103, a Foxtrot class submarine ran across the Swedish submarine HMS Sjoormen. We only have a general idea of what between the two submarines, because both were lost with all hands turning the course of the war. But what we do know is HMS Sjoormen was on patrol in the Baltic, and knew of the current ROE for the Swedish military. The B-103 also knew of their orders from what we know. We believed the B-103 was able to fired first and one of the torpedoes it fired found the HMS Sjoormen.

But with radar warning of the incoming Tu-16 squadron, Swedish fighter once again took off, to fly CAP for their navy, which was inside Swedish waters. The squadron of Tu-16s were guided by a single Tu-95 maritime reconnaissance plane. At a range of 70 kilometers, the radars on the Tu-95 went active. Seconds later with the targeting information plugged into the 32 AS-6 Kingfisher missiles carried by the squadron of Tu-16 were fired.

With the Tu-16s out of range, the bulk of Swedish fighters fired their Skyflash missiles at the AS-6 Kingfishers missiles. This was not a missile the Skyflash were designed for, and it showed. Only 3 of the AS-6 Kingfishers were downed out the 60 plus Skyflash missiles that were fired. The four Ostergotland class destroyers were equipped with the Sea Cat SAM system, but other than this the Swedish navy had no SAMs to fight off the AS-6 Kingfishers. The four Ostergotland fired their Sea Cat missiles, in the hope of downing the Kingfishers, they downed two.

What happened next has been called the death of the old Swedish Surface Navy. All of the destroyers in the Swedish Navy took multi hits by the Kingfisher missiles fired that day. Only HMS Halland was able to return port. One of the two Kingfishers fail to explosive, which save the ship from sinking on that day. But she was to damaged to be repaired and she was scrapped after the war ended. But most of the destroyers in the Swedish Navy when down with all hands. Only 93 Swedish sailors that were not on HMS Halland lived to see another day.

So far the Soviets have wrecked the neutrality and peace movements in the world and handed NATO a decisive new member in the Baltic without any clear gain...