British Military Strategy in the Napoleonic Wars

Faeelin

Banned
I picked up a copy of Christopher Hall's British Strategy in the Napoleonic Was recently, and it offers some thoughts about how Britain faced our favorite Frenchman, along with some allohistorical ideas.

1) Although Britain had, on paper, an enormous number of men available to fight, with some 300,000 volunteers for defense of the isles in 1806 alone, when it came to deploying forces overseas the British were stretched thin. [1] Colonial commitments in 1804 tied down 52,204 soldiers, while thirty thousand troops were also deployed in Ireland. [2]

Britain could only regularly deploy about 30,000 men overseas for offensive operations; the only point when there were two separate armies on the Continent simultaneously was in 1809, when the British were in Walcheren and Spain; and even then, the troops were only deployed to Walcheren because the troops were close enough to England that they could be brought back if invasion threatened.

2) One of the major changes from earlier wars; improved health. During the 1790s the British basically defeated scurvy and smallpox, driving down losses from illnesses. If sailors had died at the same rate between 1793-1814 that they did between 1776-1783, about 133,000 men would have died; the navy's entire strength during the period. The army also fared better, which let British forces go into combat more quickly as they were dispatched around the world. [3]

3) Despite Britain's financial superiority, by 1811 it was running out of money and men. The pound plummeted on the Hamburg exchange, military units were tied down preserving internal order as luddites spread across the country, and there were peace petitions from towns like Liverpool Preston, and Bolton. Lord Grenville argued in Parliament that the Penninsular War should be abandoned because of the drain on the fisc, favoring a strategy of husbanding resources for a protracted struggle. The Bank of England's specie reserves fell from 6.4 million pounds in 1808 to 2.2 million in 1814. By 1812 Wellington's troops hadn't been paid for five months, and in 1813 the Earl of Bathurst, the Secretary of War, told Wellington that Britain couldn't afford to deploy any more troops to the Peninsula.

4) We tend to view Britain's overseas conquests during this period as unmitigated triumphs. But these were sideshows. After losing one hundred thousand men in its attempt to subdue the Caribbean in the 1790s, Britain couldn't afford to send these troops. Indeed, the only large expedition to sail from Britain overseas during this period was a the 6,500 men force which seized the Cape. The capture of French Caribbean islands in 1809 was accomplished by local troops and those from Nova Scotia.

But, one idea loomed in British conquest in this period; Latin America, as compensation for British exclusion from Europe. In 1803 Castlereagh proposed a plan to seize Vera Cruz or Chile, and in 1808 he spoke of sending 14,000 troops to Mexico, another 9,000 to Montevideo, and then moving on to Central America. William Grenville, one of the prominent members of the opposition, proposed a plan involving an assault on either Peru or western Mexico by troops form India, including sepoys (who would capture the Philippines en route) , while other troops moved in from Atlantic.

The British assumed that, after they were welcomed as liberators, these new territories could be garrisoned by colonials who were loyal to whatever arrangements Britain imposed.

The Duke of Wellington's Mexican Campaign! This would obviously be fantastic and awesome, right up until the troops all died from malaria. Maybe the survivors can bring back tequila to Britain?

5) The best route to Britain's defeat may have been in the Baltic. The Baltic was the source of timber for British ships; Russia supplied most of Britain's tallow, and half her pitch, tar, linseed, and iron. More came from Sweden and Memel and Danzig. More important than all of these was hemp, 90% of which came from Russia.

Seen in this light, Napoleon's efforts to woo the Tsar at Tilsit, and the continental System in general, make sense.

So, I think there's a route to a Napoleonic victory, involving a successful closure of the Baltic and disasters in Latin America. Thoughts?

Also, who can forget George III wandering through his palace, mumbling "Wellesley, Wellesley, give me back my (German) legion"?

[1] An interesting question is how these troops would have faired in battle. I have doubts that most of these men could have been properly mobilized in a Napoleonic invasion, but both American militia and Prussian landwehr performed competently.

[2] Another ninety thousand troops were deployed in the rest of the British Isles. Any of the British posters know how these numbers compare to the troops deployed in, say, 1825?

[3] With an obvious what if: an earlier discovery of how to combat scurvy.

I picked up a copy of Christopher Hall's British Strategy in the Napoleonic Was recently, and it offers some thoughts about how Britain faced our favorite Frenchman, along with some allohistorical ideas.

1) Although Britain had, on paper, an enormous number of men available to fight, with some 300,000 volunteers for defense of the isles in 1806 alone, when it came to deploying forces overseas the British were stretched thin. [1] Colonial commitments in 1804 tied down 52,204 soldiers, while thirty thousand troops were also deployed in Ireland. [2]

[1] An interesting question is how these troops would have faired in battle. I have doubts that most of these men could have been properly mobilized in a Napoleonic invasion, but both American militia and Prussian landwehr performed competently.

[2] Another ninety thousand troops were deployed in the rest of the British Isles. Any of the British posters know how these numbers compare to the troops deployed in, say, 1825?

These numbers are highly deceptive. The vast, vast majority of that 300k that you refer to is constituted in the militia. I think at any one time, Great Britain (i.e. not Ireland) was host to only 20-25k regular troops, the majority of which would be deployed to the continent so when an actual campaign was underway, there would pretty much only be training battalions left, of the regular battalions.

The militia were different. The militia wore similar uniforms, practised weekly and were frequently deployed in their local area for such tasks as patrolling the coast against smugglers and dispersing gatherings and riots. The reason for the Peterloo massacre of 1819 becoming the bloodbath it was is that that job would normally have been done by militia - and quite efficiently, I might add - but since a unit of Waterloo veterans had only just returned to Manchester, they were asked to go instead, and their blood was still up after fighting Napoleon and having to spend several years occupying France. Anyway, back on topic, the thing is, since the Civil War (I think?), a law had been passed saying that no militia unit was legally allowed to be deployed abroad. Nor could they be converted into regular battalions. I believe this was part of a compromise by which the monarch remained Commander-in-Chief of the military while Parliament had total and sovereign command of the militia. Anyway, this, in effect, gave the UK a very large military of which 95% could not be used offensively.

Incidentally, this is another reason that I believe Napoleonic-era sea mammals to be non-starters. Sure, 80% of the militia would never reach London in time to save it, but if Nappy actually landed troops, he would simply be bombarded with green units to defeat. They might be poor in battle and totally untested but if he had to face several hundred thousand militia then it's at least going to slow him down considerably.

2) One of the major changes from earlier wars; improved health. During the 1790s the British basically defeated scurvy and smallpox, driving down losses from illnesses. If sailors had died at the same rate between 1793-1814 that they did between 1776-1783, about 133,000 men would have died; the navy's entire strength during the period. The army also fared better, which let British forces go into combat more quickly as they were dispatched around the world. [3]

Eh, I tend to view the defeat of scurvy as the exception rather than the rule. You yourself mentioned the Walcheren Expedition. Look up what the fatality rate to swamp disease was on that little soiree...

5) The best route to Britain's defeat may have been in the Baltic. The Baltic was the source of timber for British ships; Russia supplied most of Britain's tallow, and half her pitch, tar, linseed, and iron. More came from Sweden and Memel and Danzig. More important than all of these was hemp, 90% of which came from Russia.

Seen in this light, Napoleon's efforts to woo the Tsar at Tilsit, and the continental System in general, make sense.

It's true that Britain required Swedish timber to a massive degree. But bear in mind that to require this extra timber, the UK has to lose ships first. You still need to improve Nappy's naval successes for this to be important - and you have to solve the problem that the Continental System actually nearly crashed half the economies in northeastern Europe, because they were so reliant on British cheap imports...

67th Tigers

Banned
These numbers are highly deceptive. The vast, vast majority of that 300k that you refer to is constituted in the militia. I think at any one time, Great Britain (i.e. not Ireland) was host to only 20-25k regular troops, the majority of which would be deployed to the continent so when an actual campaign was underway, there would pretty much only be training battalions left, of the regular battalions.

State of the disposable troops (regular army) of Jan for various years is:

1804: 150,593
1805: 161,956
1806: 185,119
1807: 199,457
1808: 226,427
1809: 234,177
1810: 237,452
1811: 234,594
1812: 243,885
1813: 255,876

3) Despite Britain's financial superiority, by 1811 it was running out of money and men. The pound plummeted on the Hamburg exchange, military units were tied down preserving internal order as luddites spread across the country, and there were peace petitions from towns like Liverpool Preston, and Bolton. Lord Grenville argued in Parliament that the Penninsular War should be abandoned because of the drain on the fisc, favoring a strategy of husbanding resources for a protracted struggle. The Bank of England's specie reserves fell from 6.4 million pounds in 1808 to 2.2 million in 1814. By 1812 Wellington's troops hadn't been paid for five months, and in 1813 the Earl of Bathurst, the Secretary of War, told Wellington that Britain couldn't afford to deploy any more troops to the Peninsula.

yes, it was the prospect of allies that kept Britain going against Napoleon. However, by 1812, there was no allies left except for Spain and Portugal which were weak. Britain was close to throwing in the towel in 1812. If Napoleon had delayed his invasion of Russia by one year, Britain, having no hope of new allies, would have had to sue for peace. Napoleon then would give up the Continental System, thereby removing the need to invade Russia. Napoleon wins and Europe is finally at peace, for the better.

State of the disposable troops (regular army) of Jan for various years is:

1804: 150,593
1805: 161,956
1806: 185,119
1807: 199,457
1808: 226,427
1809: 234,177
1810: 237,452
1811: 234,594
1812: 243,885
1813: 255,876

I suspect that that number includes Sepoys and various around-the-world outposts. I would be frankly stunned to hear that in this era, the regular army ever reached 100k in Britain.

Faeelin

Banned
They might be poor in battle and totally untested but if he had to face several hundred thousand militia then it's at least going to slow him down considerably.

This makes a lot of assumptions, such as them all showing up and being able to be moved across the continent.

It's true that Britain required Swedish timber to a massive degree. But bear in mind that to require this extra timber, the UK has to lose ships first. You still need to improve Nappy's naval successes for this to be important - and you have to solve the problem that the Continental System actually nearly crashed half the economies in northeastern Europe, because they were so reliant on British cheap imports...

tsk. This is the sort of Britannic handwaving that I find implausible. Britain's economy was in crisis mode, because trade everywhere collapsed. By 1808 the value of trade with Britain had plummeted, Latin America was mostly closed, and the US and Britain almost ended up on the verge of war. Britain needed timber to maintain and repair its ships; some 74,000 loads of timber were used in 1812 alone just to repair and maintain ships.
I suspect that that number includes Sepoys and various around-the-world outposts. I would be frankly stunned to hear that in this era, the regular army ever reached 100k in Britain.

Hall gives 89,185 regulars for 1804, 91,999 for May of 1809, and 55,938 for November of 1811. So.

This makes a lot of assumptions, such as them all showing up and being able to be moved across the continent.

Well, Britain isn't exactly a continent, but yes. I was being a little exaggerative - I do that - I will admit but my point is that the militia bands were trained to be the types where the commander of the unit could pass a message around to the local towns saying "muster in 5 hours" and in 5 hours he would actually have a muster. That's what they were designed for. Yeah, of the 200-250k-odd militia, probably only 30-50k would be able to muster in time to reach him before he reached London, assuming he's going hell-for-leather for the capital and not taking his time, which he probably would considering the very short distance from the south coast to London, and those militia units that did array in front of him would be chew toys for the experienced French battalions, but it would slow Napoleon down, and bear in mind that in 1804 when the Grande Armee was assembling on the French north coast, the British army had no continental commitments, so the militia are going to be acting as a smoke screen while the actual regular army units form up. Then if he takes the capital, he needs to hold it - remember London had zero defensive fortifications - until he can sign terms of surrender with Parliament, which gives the militia and what remains of the army one last shot at forming up en masse and attacking.

I never said he wouldn't win. He probably would. I was simply reacting to the assumption many people seem to have that the invasion of Britain, from 1066 to the sea mammal of last century, is essentially a case of "if you set foot on British soil, a white flag will appear over London". OK, maybe the sea mammal has disproved that for WW2 but even so... I just want to hint that maybe the chances of success are closer to 50% than 100%.

tsk. This is the sort of Britannic handwaving that I find implausible. Britain's economy was in crisis mode, because trade everywhere collapsed. By 1808 the value of trade with Britain had plummeted, Latin America was mostly closed, and the US and Britain almost ended up on the verge of war. Britain needed timber to maintain and repair its ships; some 74,000 loads of timber were used in 1812 alone just to repair and maintain ships.

Eh, fair enough. I still tend to think that by 1807, it's a bit late for Napoleon to defeat Britain by choking their supply of wood, though. Maybe if you changed Trafalgar so that Napoleon still had a fleet then yeah, this could really work wonders. Let's also not forget that 1807 proved that the British were just as happy to steal another nation's ships as the French were, if it came down to it...

Hall gives 89,185 regulars for 1804, 91,999 for May of 1809, and 55,938 for November of 1811. So.

So I'm technically right? :) But touche, those numbers are higher than anything I'd ever read but I won't argue them. I wonder if they include the King's German Legion, though?

Faeelin

Banned
but it would slow Napoleon down, and bear in mind that in 1804 when the Grande Armee was assembling on the French north coast, the British army had no continental commitments, so the militia are going to be acting as a smoke screen while the actual regular army units form up. Then if he takes the capital, he needs to hold it - remember London had zero defensive fortifications - until he can sign terms of surrender with Parliament, which gives the militia and what remains of the army one last shot at forming up en masse and attacking.

I agree; the comparison that comes to mind is the American militia in the Revolution though, which often buckled and cracked. And Napoleon't ain't Howe.

What's interesting ot me is that the number of troops in Ireland seems to have been beefed up significantly after the Irish revolt of 1798. Hrm.

Eh, fair enough. I still tend to think that by 1807, it's a bit late for Napoleon to defeat Britain by choking their supply of wood, though. Maybe if you changed Trafalgar so that Napoleon still had a fleet then yeah, this could really work wonders. Let's also not forget that 1807 proved that the British were just as happy to steal another nation's ships as the French were, if it came down to it...

How likely was this to succeed? Was Copenhagen the most plausible outcome? And how likely was the assault on Saint Petersburg to be a British victory?

So I'm technically right? :) But touche, those numbers are higher than anything I'd ever read but I won't argue them. I wonder if they include the King's German Legion, though?

Sorry, yes, I meant 67th Tiger's seem to be way off.

I agree; the comparison that comes to mind is the American militia in the Revolution though, which often buckled and cracked. And Napoleon't ain't Howe.

What's interesting ot me is that the number of troops in Ireland seems to have been beefed up significantly after the Irish revolt of 1798. Hrm.

True, true. They were well-drilled - often by retired army officers - but the difference is that the American militia units often had experience themselves, in skirmishes with the native Americans. Not exactly a comparison with a line-of-battle unit, but still the British militia was as close to that as it was to the Dad's Army of WW2.

How likely was this to succeed? Was Copenhagen the most plausible outcome? And how likely was the assault on Saint Petersburg to be a British victory?

Depends. Copenhagen is certainly the most obvious place to target a navy and it's probably the kind of thing that you can do once or twice at most - but if used correctly it's the kind of thing you never have to do a second time. The British did succeed in extorting the Danish for their ships IRL (albeit for different reasons - i.e. "if you don't give them to us, Napoleon will take them, so we won't let you keep them") so clearly it can succeed.

As for Saint Petersburg, I'm not sure. What I do know about Saint Petersburg is that is had a whacking-great and fairly modern naval fortification right where the Gulf of Finland narrows on the approach to the city, and that would make any attempt at assaulting the city or the Russian Baltic Fleet much, much harder. I'd go so far as to say that the Baltic Fleet wouldn't be capturable by sea if it were in port.

Ah, got you. They're still higher than what I've seen before though. Does that include Irish garrisons, as that would certainly redress the balance with the numbers I've seen before.

A question on the economics side of things. (Data from The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers)

Even if the Bank of England's specie reserves are dwindling, we see things such as pig iron production being 325,000 tons in 1811 (a third again as much as it was five years earlier), and markets in "ASia, Africa, the West Indies, Latin America (despite all the efforts of local Spanish governors, and the Near East." That's not a bad set of markets even with the Continental System and the US shooting itself in the foot.

There aren't many figures beyond that for 1812, but the figures are shooting upwards from 1793 onward, not declining, even with "serious disruption to British markets in some markets for some of the time" as Kennedy puts it (italics his).

in 1814-1816, we see total exports being 44.4 million pounds (double that it was twenty years earlier).

So while Britain might be feeling pinched, I think - assuming Kennedy and his sources are correct obviously - the burden is being greatly exaggerated if we describe it as "unbearable".

Faeelin

Banned
1814-1816 is misleading, no? The continental system was in collapse or was gone.

If you look region by region, the picture looks a bit worse; American exports fell from $108 million in 1807 to $22 million in 1808, trade with Denmark fell from 5 million pounds in 1807 to 21,000 pounds in 1808, trade with the Netherlands fell from 4.5 million pounds to 1 million pounds in 1810.

(These numbers are from Hall's British Strategy & Francis Cogliano's Revolutionary America).

That's fairly typical for 67th. Here's a breakout for total British forces for 1809. 67th is countering every soldier available to the British Empire, regardless of where they are stationed. His bigger mistake is referring to this number as "disposable troops". The majority of the British troops are not "disposable troops" they are deployed where they are for a reason and need to stay there to protect the places they are deployed to.

Anyone know why the British never tried to land an army in Normandy while Napoleon were in Russia?

mattep74

The army available for offensive action was already rather busy in Iberia. Not to mention a little distraction in N America.:(

Plus, until the details of Russia and the later eastern campaigns came out Boney was still pretty popular in most of France.

Steve

1814-1816 is misleading, no? The continental system was in collapse or was gone.

If you look region by region, the picture looks a bit worse; American exports fell from $108 million in 1807 to $22 million in 1808, trade with Denmark fell from 5 million pounds in 1807 to 21,000 pounds in 1808, trade with the Netherlands fell from 4.5 million pounds to 1 million pounds in 1810.

(These numbers are from Hall's British Strategy & Francis Cogliano's Revolutionary America).

Since you mention the Bank of England's specie reserves as of 1814, it's only fair to mention the trade situation in 1814. So, no, it's not misleading unless we're only allowed to look at the bad news and not the good.

And what about the other markets, though? Some regions being a problem some of the time does not equal trade overall declining over the whole length of the period (1807-1812?).

I'm not saying Britain had no issues at all - but it's not as if it had to trade with, for instance, the Netherlands or not be able to export its goods anywhere - that paints too dark a picture.

It would have been suicidal.

As far as I know, Britain had zero successes with any of their "descents" onto hostile shores of Europe right through the period. Like most sensible nations they worked through allies.

So I agree it wouldn't have worked, and in any case Spain was better.

67th Tigers

Banned

That was the size of the regular army. No sepoys. No miliitia. No volunteers. "Disposable force" is the right term.

The problem with projecting very large armies over the Channel isn't one of men, it is one of horses. Horses are much more difficult to ship overseas than people. Landing men across the Channel is easy, but it was essentially impossible to get sufficient horseflesh over the sea to equip sufficient artillery, cavalry and trains for a large army.

As to why they didn't land an army in 1812 (actually 1813), they did but in the Low Countries. It was called the Army of the Low Countries, was commanded by Graham and was a standard pattern British Army Corps. This Army remained in Belgium and after reinforcement was the British contingent at Waterloo.

The problem with projecting very large armies over the Channel isn't one of men, it is one of horses. Horses are much more difficult to ship overseas than people. Landing men across the Channel is easy, but it was essentially impossible to get sufficient horseflesh over the sea to equip sufficient artillery, cavalry and trains for a large army.

A constraint which presumably would also apply to an attempt by Napoleon to invade the British Isles. Sounds as if the RN, in such a case, would have been well advised to ignore the troop transports and concentrate on those vessels carrying the horses. That way, even if Boney does get ashore, he can't move at more than walking pace, and his ability to forage is severely limited.

Incidentally, this is one often overlooked aspect of the Moscow campaign. Napoleon didn't just lose half a million men, but also virtually all his horses - and a cavalry horse, which required a lengthy period of training, was far harder to replace than an infantry private.

Last edited:
That was the size of the regular army. No sepoys. No miliitia. No volunteers. "Disposable force" is the right term.

Hmmm. Pardon me for being suspicious, but I've never heard any figures remotely close to those before. Even if you totalled up all the garrison regiments around the world, the numbers I've seen wouldn't surpass 150k. Granted it's a while since I've read any books on this era, but I've never seen anything like that.