The Linz program

VoCSe said:
The Hungarian one, I thought it would be obvious.
I thought so too, but I asked because I've read alternate histories where the Hapsburgs preside over Germany, Prussia included.

I don't see how the Linz Plan could happen in the 1880's or 1890's. You will need to make Austria-Hungary collapse to make this work.
I think this could have happened though , at the end of WWI , if the Germans hadn't been decisively defeated.
In OTL , in 1919 , Austria wanted to join Germany , but the Entente wouldn't let her.
I don't think the Hungarians could have kept Galicia and Dalmatia, though.

Andrei said:
I don't see how the Linz Plan could happen in the 1880's or 1890's. You will need to make Austria-Hungary collapse to make this work.
I think this could have happened though , at the end of WWI , if the Germans hadn't been decisively defeated.
In OTL , in 1919 , Austria wanted to join Germany , but the Entente wouldn't let her.
I don't think the Hungarians could have kept Galicia and Dalmatia, though.

I don't think they could have kept them after a war either, they just have some historical claims. But it could have worked out for them as a peacetime reorganization.

Neither Frankfurt (a more neutral capital) nor St Petersburg will want an independent Polish state. You might have to partition Galicia with Russia though, giving them Tarnopol, Cracow, the Bukovina, and some border lands; Germany could get Auschwitz-Zator (the small area south-west of Cracow, once part of Silesia). They'd be given plenty of autonomy, of course.

As for Dalmatia, the new Germany will not accept the Italian semi-equivalent of the Kashmir (an independent area where the ruling minority wants to join Italy and the majority wants ... I don't know, something else, Serbia's too far away and Croatia's ruled by the Hungarians). This Greater Germany will see the Greater Hungary as its extension into the Balkans.

Since Dalmatia is Hungarian, Germany could take Fiume to get a better position in the Adriatic.

It could happen if German nationalists take power in Vienna. Expect a Franco-Russian alliance to form immediately.

Wendell said:
I think that Prague would make a better capital than Frankfurt...

I don't agree. Even though the Holy Roman Emperors Charles the IV-th of Luxemburg ( 1346-1378 ) and Rudolf the II-nd of Habsburg ( 1576-1612 ) resided in Prague , I don't see how could a slav inhabited city become the capital of Germany , in the era of nationalism.

VoCSe said:
I don't think they could have kept them after a war either, they just have some historical claims. But it could have worked out for them as a peacetime reorganization.

Neither Frankfurt (a more neutral capital) nor St Petersburg will want an independent Polish state. You might have to partition Galicia with Russia though, giving them Tarnopol, Cracow, the Bukovina, and some border lands; Germany could get Auschwitz-Zator (the small area south-west of Cracow, once part of Silesia). They'd be given plenty of autonomy, of course.

As for Dalmatia, the new Germany will not accept the Italian semi-equivalent of the Kashmir (an independent area where the ruling minority wants to join Italy and the majority wants ... I don't know, something else, Serbia's too far away and Croatia's ruled by the Hungarians). This Greater Germany will see the Greater Hungary as its extension into the Balkans.

Since Dalmatia is Hungarian, Germany could take Fiume to get a better position in the Adriatic.

It could happen if German nationalists take power in Vienna. Expect a Franco-Russian alliance to form immediately.

I think you are right about what might have happened if a peacetime reorganization had occured.
But those changes wouldn't change history too much. WWI would still start and Greater Germany and Hungary would lose it , like Germany and Austria-Hungary lost it in OTL. Then , we would probably still have a Nazi Germany trying to get revenge.

But what if WWI have ended a little different?
Here's a POD:

After the Brest-Litovsk peace treaty , the German High Command decides to pull out all of it's troops from the Italian front and from the Balkans in order to use them in their final offensive against the Entente.
The spring and summer offensives of 1918 have better results for the Germans than in OTL. They reach the outskirts of Paris and almost manage to surround the city. Not wanting to send their last armies against Allied machineguns , the Germans decide to stop their offensive and start to dig trenches.
The Allied counter-offensives manage to drive them away from Paris to the Hindenburg line , both sides suffering heavy casualties.
Meanwhile , whithout German troops to help them , the Austro-Hungarian troops are more easily defeated on the Italian front and on the Salonic front.
Bulgaria collapses earlier then in OTL , Allied troops reach the Danube sooner than in OTL , and Romania reenters the war .
Because of those setbacks , a revolt breaks up in Vienna , declaring the Republic of Austria . Emperor Karl flees to Budapest.
Fearing Bolshevik revolts and economical collapse , whithout the succesful counter-offensives they had in OTL , the British and French goverments agree to the German proposal of a cease-fire , in December 1918. ( The Germans were also fearing revolts , were almost starving , and were running out of manpower and Emperor Karl had already singed a cease-fire with the allies )
Karl tries to keep the rest of his empire intact but fails due to revolts in Galicia , Boemia and Transilvania , Italian landings in Dalmatia , and Romanian and Polish attacks.
The Austrian Republic joins the German Reich . ( In OTL , on the 12-th of November 1918 , it was proclaimed at Vienna a republic of "German Austria" ( Deutsche-Osterreich ) as a component ( Bestandteil )of the German federation .)
In the spring ( or maybe summer ) of 1919 the peace treaty of Den Haag is signed )

The results for the countries involved are:

France:
-gets Lorraine
-gets Alsace ( after a refferendum )
-gets some reparations from Germany ( not as big as in OTL )
-gets Siria and Lebanon

Britain:
-recieves the German colonies ( the African ones )
-recieves Palestine , Jordan , and Iraq

Germany:
-loses Lorraine and Alsace
-keeps Danzig and West Prussia
-the union with Austria ( includeing Carniola , Stirya , Carinthia , Tirol ( with Bolzano ), Salzburg , Voralberg , and Sudetenland ) is recognised.
-gets Burgenland ( after a plebiscite )
-refferendums will be held in Northern Schleswig , Posen and in the former Austrian Silesia
-pays reparations to France and Belgium

Hungary:
-loses Dalmatia to Italy
-loses Galitia to Poland
-loses Transilvania to Romania
-loses Banat to Serbia and Romania
-loses Burgenland to Germany
-Croatia , Slovakia and the Czech Republic become independent
-keeps Backa and some territories in modern day Northern Croatia
-keeps Ruthenia and Southern Slovakia

Italy
-gets Trentino ( whithout Bolzano )
-gets Triest , Istria , Gorizia , Fiume and Dalmatia

Poland:
-gets Galitia ( southern Bukovina goes to Romania )
-unites with Lithuania

Japan:
-gets the German colonies in the Pacific

Greece:
-gains Thrace and Smyrna

Serbia:
-recieves some parts of Bulgarian Macedonia
-partitions the Banat with Romania
-partitions Bosnia with Croatia

Romania:
-gets Transilvania and a part of the Banat
-gets southern Bukovina
-the anexation of Besserebia is recognized by the great powers ( except the USSR )
-Dobruja is regained

Also , a naval treaty is signed:
-The UK and the US will have the largest navies
-France , Italy and Japan will have to limit their navies to 3/5 of the UK's navy
-Gemany will have to limit her navy to 1/2 of the British navy

The independence of Latvia , Estonia and Finland is recognised.

Into the 20's ( or 30's ):
-Turkey will become a republic
-Germany will become a constitutional monarchy ( Kaiser Wilhelm will have to abdicate , though )
-Hungary will become a republic , after a period of unrest
-Europe's main threat will be communism
-the League of Nations will be stronger ( the US will be a member )
-the US won't be so isolationist
-the fascist regimes won't come into power in Germany and Italy ( no stab in the back and , respectivly no betrayal by the allies feeligs)
-France and Germany will make up

So , what about that?

Andrei said:
After the Brest-Litovsk peace treaty

Poland:
-gets Galitia ( southern Bukovina goes to Romania )
-unites with Lithuania

i have some problems with this if there is a peace of Brest-Litovsk as per OTL
and germany is not defeated just has to accept unfavorable peace conditions.

would the Entente really pressed for an creation of poland and lithuania...i would find this quite unlikely there would probarly be far more importand things the want from germany and this would proparly not range verry high on there list of things to get on the negotiation table.

as VoCSe if they do have to give back all or some of poland than an partition with russia is probarly more likely, one has to remember that in this senario the Entente can't just dictate the terms its an negotiated peace.

Andrei said:
I don't agree. Even though the Holy Roman Emperors Charles the IV-th of Luxemburg ( 1346-1378 ) and Rudolf the II-nd of Habsburg ( 1576-1612 ) resided in Prague , I don't see how could a slav inhabited city become the capital of Germany , in the era of nationalism.
Under certain circumstances, maybe. But here, i think the germans could get away with it.

Why in the world would the Habsburgs get Hungary, I would expect them to get the new counties of Austria (since Austria is part of Germany). I think Germany wold grow to big and fall apart.

Chingo360 said:
Why in the world would the Habsburgs get Hungary, I would expect them to get the new counties of Austria (since Austria is part of Germany). I think Germany wold grow to big and fall apart.
The get Hungary because they inherited the throne in the 1600s, and then reconquered the country from the Ottomans?

schrammy said:
i have some problems with this if there is a peace of Brest-Litovsk as per OTL
and germany is not defeated just has to accept unfavorable peace conditions.

would the Entente really pressed for an creation of poland and lithuania...i would find this quite unlikely there would probarly be far more importand things the want from germany and this would proparly not range verry high on there list of things to get on the negotiation table.

as VoCSe if they do have to give back all or some of poland than an partition with russia is probarly more likely, one has to remember that in this senario the Entente can't just dictate the terms its an negotiated peace.

Actually , in OTL , it was the German's ideea to create an allied Polish state . They and the Austro-Hungarians proclaimed the kingdom of Poland in november 1916 , and a regular goverment was established in october 1917.
I don't think the Germans could have kept control over Poland or other Eatern European puppet states in TTL at the end of 1918 ( they have fewer troops in the East in this TTL ).
Russia ( the USSR ) won't be present at the peace conference , so she can't take back the territories lost after the Brest-Litovsk treaty.

In my timeline Germany is about to be defeated at the end of 1918: the home front is about to collapse , the peoples of Eastern Europe are revolting and in France , the exhausted German troops are about to be attacked by 5000 tanks ( Fuller's "1919" plan ) and milions of Entente and American troops. But in this time-line the Germans are not humiliated because they still hold a defense line ( in OTL the German front collapsed ) and because in TTL the French really need the Americans to win the war , so Woodrow Wilson's 14 points will be much more important than in OTL.

In the peace treaty , the right of self-determination will be granted to the defeated peoples as well , that's why Austria stays German.

Germany is allowed to mantain it's army because the Germans are not as badly beaten as they were in OTL , the French are in a more difficult position than in OTL and because the Allies want a strong Germany as a buffer against communism ( rather than dismembering it's army and risk turning Germany into a communist state ) .

In TTL I had Poland and Lithuania unite because these states were united before and to give Poland some Baltic Sea ports.

Andrei said:
In TTL I had Poland and Lithuania unite because these states were united before and to give Poland some Baltic Sea ports.

So they don't get a coastline in West Prussia?

I think your contribution could be helpful in "AH challenge : Alt-WWI". We're just shaping up the peaceful 1914-1924 period, but after the war starts I'm helpless. Be warned, I'll laugh in your face for the Anschluss thing.

VoCSe said:
So they don't get a coastline in West Prussia?

I think your contribution could be helpful in "AH challenge : Alt-WWI". We're just shaping up the peaceful 1914-1924 period, but after the war starts I'm helpless. Be warned, I'll laugh in your face for the Anschluss thing.

No , Germany keeps Danzig & West Prussia because these areas were mainly german-speaking.
Poland and Lithuania don't have to unite , but I thought it would be better for them , because they could help each other and because they share some historical ties.

Andrei said:
No , Germany keeps Danzig & West Prussia because these areas were mainly german-speaking.
Poland and Lithuania don't have to unite , but I thought it would be better for them , because they could help each other and because they share some historical ties.
What would you do with Latvia and Estonia?