Some major GURPS worlds

Aeolus
The Protestant Wind of 1688 blows the other way, Glorious Revolution fails, James II still king. In 1943 Eastern Europe, a newborn Republican Alliance challenges the Habsburgs and the entire ancien regime.
OK, could the weather patterns of a particular day have saved Jim II, or would the forces arrayed against him have been too much anyway?
Cornwallis
In 1776 Turgot was not forced into retirement, stops French aid to the American Revolutionaries. In 1984 the "monarchic centralism" of the Five Thrones is threatened by the radical Russian Dominate.
OK, could Turgot have convinced the French crown not to support America? Would he have even tried? And even if he had succeeded, would Britain have crushed the Revolution if the Americans did not have the aid of France?
Ming-3
In 1426 a plague kills the Dowager Empress of China, causing the Emperor to move the capitol back to Nanking and continue the explorations started by Zheng He. 450 years later, China rules a tottering global empire.
OK, why did China drop exploration in the 15th Century, like Ireland abandonded Iceland and we seem on the verge of abandonding space? Was this a close decision, or was it something that was foreordained?
Midgard
Vikings burn Constantinople in 860. In 1412 they have colonized most of North America, Russia and northern Europe and are laying the groundwork for a future Industrial Revolution.
OK, could the Vikings have reached Constantinople? If they did. would this have given them enough of a boost to colonize Vinland? I thought their problem with Vinland was the Skraelings, and the fact that they did not have the guns to subjugate them.
Ezcalli
Carthaginians discovered America in 508 BCE. Diseases ravage the New World, but the Amerindians have time to develope resistance, and by the 19th Century the Aztecs are the leading world power in a new Industrial revolution.
OK, I might swallow a more disease resistant Amerindian population in a hundred generations, but would curing that disadvantage be enough? Even if the Amerindians got some technology from the exchange? Of course, the Aztecs would be butterfied away if carthage had discovered America 2000 years before their time, but could ANY Amerind nation have become a world power?
Roma Aeterna
Drusus pacified Germany for Rome in 9 BCE. By the 19th Century, Rome rules the world and is industrializing.
OK, the authors used the pattern of China to come up with a 2000 year spanning Roman Empire, but I don't know if Rome could have developed that way. Even if the Germans were conquered in the last century before Christ, would that be enough to keep Rome going?
Shikaku-mon
Ferdinand and Isabella's son John survived his 1497 accident. In 2027 the world's great powers are France, Brazil, a Christian Japanese Empire ruling most of Asia, and a totalitarian Swedish Empire.
OK, France and Brazil I could see, but could the Jesuits have Chritianized Japan so thoroughly? And would Sweden fall into a dystopic totaliarianism?
Centrum
The White Ship makes port safely in 1120, so William survives and there is no sucession crisis. A global Anglo-French empire arises to span the world, collapse in an apocalyptic world war, and rise again to develop cross-time travel.
OK, I believe in the Butterfly effect, and a surviving royal heir is a pretty big butterfly, but could England have taken over France and forged a global empire? There were a lot of other cultures to subsume to do that, and by 2027 have a world where English is the only living language.

More of these? Let's get cracking then.

Midgard: You're right, this PoD has absolutely nothing to do with Vinland or the conquest thereof.

Ezcalli: Whoever came up with this was particularly lazy. A PoD before Christ of all people would surely butterfly the Aztecs away, who only even came into the Valley of Mexico over 1500 years after this PoD, the other Nahua having arrived about a few centuries before them. Of course I might just be being optimistic here, but if the impact of the diseases was severely lessened, I think a native nation could've been a world power eventually, though forefront of an Industrial Revolution is pushing it.

o Roma Aeterna. I can hear Elfwine screaming now ... :p. While not necessarily impossible, doing so the way they propose in the scenario would be extremely unlikely to result in a single unified Roman Empire. A collection of successor states, yes.

OOC - Looks like I have to rename my TL before publishing it. Oh well.:rolleyes:

o Centrum. This is one of their three core AH TLs, the other two being Homeline and Reich-5. Homeline are good guys; Centrum are good bad guys; Reich-5 are the evil time-traveling Nazis, as you might guess. To SJG's credit the scenarios are not quite that simple, and the resulting settings are quite interesting.

Ever heard of Google?

Providing him w/a link would have been the helpful thing to do.

Can someone please explain to me what this GUPRS crap is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GURPS
"The Generic Universal RolePlaying System, or GURPS, is a tabletop role-playing game system designed to allow for play in any game setting. It was created by Steve Jackson Games and first published in 1986 at a time when most such systems were story- or genre-specific."

I've never played "Infinite Worlds", but I think it's a fascinating idea, like Turtledove's "Crosstime" series. Some of the timelines are less plausible than others, true, and some are just dumb, but you have the option to use them, or not.
There are a few Hell Worlds, including one where a worse Spanish Influenza killed most of humanity. That was interesting. I love worlds where civilization has collapsed, and new societies with Steam Age technology have arisen to take their place.

Aeolus
The Protestant Wind of 1688 blows the other way, Glorious Revolution fails, James II still king. In 1943 Eastern Europe, a newborn Republican Alliance challenges the Habsburgs and the entire ancien regime.
OK, could the weather patterns of a particular day have saved Jim II, or would the forces arrayed against him have been too much anyway??
Barring major aid from France or Spain, as in effectively an 'army of occupation', he was out of luck.

Cornwallis
In 1776 Turgot was not forced into retirement, stops French aid to the American Revolutionaries. In 1984 the "monarchic centralism" of the Five Thrones is threatened by the radical Russian Dominate.
OK, could Turgot have convinced the French crown not to support America? Would he have even tried? And even if he had succeeded, would Britain have crushed the Revolution if the Americans did not have the aid of France?
Don't know, don't know, and perhaps.

Ming-3
In 1426 a plague kills the Dowager Empress of China, causing the Emperor to move the capitol back to Nanking and continue the explorations started by Zheng He. 450 years later, China rules a tottering global empire.
OK, why did China drop exploration in the 15th Century, like Ireland abandonded Iceland and we seem on the verge of abandonding space? Was this a close decision, or was it something that was foreordained?
The plague and moved capital yes, the continued explorations less likely given (a) the need for economic recovery after that plague and (b) the likelihood that the plague would be alleged to have been brought back from overseas by an earlier voyage.

Midgard
Vikings burn Constantinople in 860. In 1412 they have colonized most of North America, Russia and northern Europe and are laying the groundwork for a future Industrial Revolution.
OK, could the Vikings have reached Constantinople? If they did. would this have given them enough of a boost to colonize Vinland? I thought their problem with Vinland was the Skraelings, and the fact that they did not have the guns to subjugate them.
This TL depends on the Byzantine government entrusting the secret of Greek Fire to a group of heretics who then betray them, which seems rather dubious to me.The Vikings could have reached the city via Russia's rivers, and in fact did so and attacked it [unsuccessfully] IOTL, but even if they'd been able to buy the recipe and able to use it properly I don't think that they could have taken the place... and the rest of the storyline depends on the secret then spreading to other Viking groups, who use it against e.g. England and France, without any of them ever deciding to sell it to their rivals' non-viking opponents or being beaten badly enough that the knowledge leaks anyway. Definitely not plausible, in my opinion.

Ezcalli
Carthaginians discovered America in 508 BCE. Diseases ravage the New World, but the Amerindians have time to develope resistance, and by the 19th Century the Aztecs are the leading world power in a new Industrial revolution.
OK, I might swallow a more disease resistant Amerindian population in a hundred generations, but would curing that disadvantage be enough? Even if the Amerindians got some technology from the exchange? Of course, the Aztecs would be butterfied away if carthage had discovered America 2000 years before their time, but could ANY Amerind nation have become a world power?
Highly implausible, as is actually admitted IC by scholars on 'Homeline' inside the GURPS multiverse.

Roma Aeterna
Drusus pacified Germany for Rome in 9 BCE. By the 19th Century, Rome rules the world and is industrializing.
OK, the authors used the pattern of China to come up with a 2000 year spanning Roman Empire, but I don't know if Rome could have developed that way. Even if the Germans were conquered in the last century before Christ, would that be enough to keep Rome going?
No.

Shikaku-mon
Ferdinand and Isabella's son John survived his 1497 accident. In 2027 the world's great powers are France, Brazil, a Christian Japanese Empire ruling most of Asia, and a totalitarian Swedish Empire.
OK, France and Brazil I could see, but could the Jesuits have Chritianized Japan so thoroughly? And would Sweden fall into a dystopic totaliarianism?
This one rates a "maybe" in my opinion.

Centrum
The White Ship makes port safely in 1120, so William survives and there is no sucession crisis. A global Anglo-French empire arises to span the world, collapse in an apocalyptic world war, and rise again to develop cross-time travel.
OK, I believe in the Butterfly effect, and a surviving royal heir is a pretty big butterfly, but could England have taken over France and forged a global empire? There were a lot of other cultures to subsume to do that, and by 2027 have a world where English is the only living language.
'Yes' to taking over France, 'maybe' to the global empire: After all, Britain came as close as anybody's ever managed to doing the latter IOTL even while having to fight against France quite often, so with France's resources added to those of England instead... :cool:

While I find the GURPS Alternate Earths to be great fantastic settings to play an exciting RPG-campaign in them. I would not say that those settings are highly probable.
The main problem of the Alternate Earths is that t hey are developed by focussing on the outcome (to get an interesting RPG-Setting) and not on the POD. Second problem is that the timespan between POD and the timelines "here & now" is usually so big, that anything could have happened anyway. Which is not what I do expect from alternate history.

Ezcalli

This one is completely unrealistic imho as those diseases the european settlers/conquerers brought to the american continent would develope in the timespan between the carthagian discovery and a later discovery by europeans. I guess the american natives would die of diseases in this setting the same way they did OTL.

It's true, that some of the GURPS worlds are improbable, or completely unrealistic, but I guess a GM could always create his own worlds.

It's true, that some of the GURPS worlds are improbable, or completely unrealistic, but I guess a GM could always create his own worlds.

That's half the charm of GURPS; being able to create your own setting out of whole cloth. I had my players sabotaging the Ottoman space program ...

That's half the charm of GURPS; being able to create your own setting out of whole cloth. I had my players sabotaging the Ottoman space program ...

Sounds like the Sick Man of Europe became the Slick Man of Europe! I like the idea of sipahis in space.

1. Was James II that unpopular that he would've fallen without William crossing the channel?

2. The American Revolution could have failed, that's not hard to imagine. Republicanism being kept suppressed... that's harder. If there's no revolution in France, it'll come in the next badly-governed country. What about Prussia? The two successors of Frederick the Great were anything but.

3. Ming crosses the border to unbelievable somewhen, probably when they defeat Spain.

4. Constantinople was the strongest fortress of Christianity, I don't see the Vikings succeed there.

5. The improbability of Ezcalli is even lampshaded in the text.

6. That's the question: How many parts of Europe would make good provinces, i.e. of the sort that pay more taxes than you need for occupying and defending them? Also, would a conquest of highland Persia be feasible?

7. Completely christianized Japan is hard to imagine, indeed. That's why I had the idea to make a less centralized church, which leaves some freedoms to national churches - so the tenno can become head of the Japanese Catholic church.

8. Good question. France assimilating Britain might be more probable.

Oh, and I like Gurps AE.