Things Fall Apart

This is my new timeline about a France in the late Hundred Years War. Things will diverge rapidly after the POD. Without further ado:

Chapter 1: Sad Tidings
Part 1: A Bridge too Far

Paris, October 1419
The Duke of Burgundy walked the streets of the capital with haste. Armed men surrounded him. He was very wary of assassinations after that duplicitous Dauphin’s failed attempt last month. Fortunately his retained Archambaud de Foix was able to intervene and save him, at the cost of his own life [1]. Duke John had fled to Montereau castle where some of his company had stayed, and from their fled to Troyes. John had been disgraced at Montereau, but he had returned the next week with 5000 men and taken the town. However, his dealings with the Dauphin Charles where certainly over, and now it was time to negotiate with the King of England. His victories in the past years had given him a strong position at the bargaining table, but Duke John felt certain he could retain a hand in the French government. Negotiations were currently underway, but it would be some time before they would bear any fruit. Until then John was consolidating his position in Champagne and the Île de France. His control of the King and Queen secure, he had moved his puppet government at Troyes back to Paris to strengthen its legitimacy. However, the future of the House of Burgundy, only time could tell.

“The Third War of French Succession” [2] by Jean de la Rivière Paris, 1920
The failed assassination attempt at Duke John the Fearless was certainly a turning point in the war of Third French Succession. It thoroughly alienated the Dauphinists from the Burgundian party removed any possibility of peace between the French princes. The Burgundian alliance with the House of Lancaster was crucial to the eventual Lancastrian victory in the war. During the winter of 1419-1420, the Burgundians occupied residual Dauphinist strongholds such as Soissons, Compiegne, and Guise, strengthening their bargaining position with the English.
Negotiations between the two parties had been going on for years, but took a more serious tone after the Dauphin’s assassination attempt. John the Fearless’s control of the French capital, as well as the King and Queen, gave the negotiations a strong tone of legitimacy. Throughout 1419 and into 1420 negotiations continued, until the Treaty of Paris was confirmed in April 1420.

The Treaty of Paris, 1420
-King Henry V of England is recognized by King Charles VI of France as his heir.
-King Henry will marry Catherine of Valois.
-The Dauphin Charles is illegitimate and has no claim to the throne of France.
-Until the death of King Charles, King Henry shall be known as Duke of Normandy.
-Thomas, Duke of Clarence, brother of King Henry, shall be made Duke of Aquitaine, with Duchy being returned to its 1369 borders. The Duchy shall be part of the French Kingdom, and its Duke a peer of France.
-Until the death of Charles VI, both Henry V of England and John of Burgundy shall be recognized as regents of France.
-The Burgundian annexation of Picardy, Tonerre and Macon is confirmed. The County of Champagne will also be held by the Dukes of Burgundy.
-Henry of England and John of Burgundy will make war against all those who do not accept the terms of this treaty.

The Treaty of Paris is viewed universally as a masterstroke of John the Fearless’s diplomacy. He was able to gain significant territorial concessions, and spread the seeds of later Lancastrian disunity by endowing Thomas of Lancaster with the great Duchy of Aquitaine. The “Southern Strategy” pursued by Duke Thomas in the coming years was crucial to the collapse of the Dauphinist position in France.

After the Treat of Paris, King Henry the Conqueror returned to England with his new bride to build support for the continued war effort, with high hopes after this triumphant treaty. Duke John set up an administration for Champagne and wrote to his son Phillip, Count of Charolais informing him of recent developments. The conquest of Melun and Meaux was left for the next year, to be done in combination with English troops. War continued all throughout France, as English troops pillaged the countryside. However, a truce was agreed along the frontier of Burgundy and the Bourbonnais, cemented by a marrage alliance between Agnes of Burgundy, John’s daughter, and Charles of Bourbon.

In England, a Parliament was held. The Treaty of Paris was displayed, to the joy of the people of England. Thomas was invested with the Duchy of Aquitaine, however, it would be three years before he actually entered Gascony. The Dukes of Bedford and Gloucester prepared for war as well. France would fall to English arms.

1. This is the point of divergence. In OTL, John was killed at Montereau in September 1419, here he narrowly escapes.
2. The Hundred Years war is ITTL seen as a series of conflicts over the French Crown. The first lasted from 1337-1360, the second from 1369-1389, and the third started in 1415 – and its end date remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have an outline through to the 1450s, and a general plan to the 1470s. I can promise some very interesting developments, including a Lancastrian France and a stronger Burgundian state.
Scipio

Was Thomas OTL considered for the Duchy of Aquitaine, or is this an invention of yours?

Interesting either way - I wonder if this affects Catherine de Valois' affections for her clerk Owen Tudor? Will Jacquetta of Luxembourg's still marry in England, and subsequently spawn all those Wydevilles? How will having the Duke of Aquitaine as step-father affect the status/marriages of the Beaufort brood?

Considering the frequent intermarriage between the various branches of Plantagenet and related families (Holland and Neville especially) would be interesting to see how a stable succession deriving from a surviving Henry V and Thomas Clarence would influence intra-Plantagenet marriages/alliances.

Was Thomas OTL considered for the Duchy of Aquitaine, or is this an invention of yours?

Interesting either way - I wonder if this affects Catherine de Valois' affections for her clerk Owen Tudor? Will Jacquetta of Luxembourg's still marry in England, and subsequently spawn all those Wydevilles? How will having the Duke of Aquitaine as step-father affect the status/marriages of the Beaufort brood?

Considering the frequent intermarriage between the various branches of Plantagenet and related families (Holland and Neville especially) would be interesting to see how a stable succession deriving from a surviving Henry V and Thomas Clarence would influence intra-Plantagenet marriages/alliances.
It is an invention of mine. However, the Duchy was passed between various members of the House of England, such as its transference to the Black Prince, John of Gaunt, etc. The English will pursue a more souther strategy ITTL, since they will have less territory in the north. Future updates will detail the military developments in the region. I was thinking Thomas will marry a Burgundian princess ITTL instead of the Duke of Bedford. As for Jacquetta of Luxembourg, she may marry the Duke of Gloucester, who will be more prominent ITTL and will not become involved in the Low Countries.
Scipio

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
So an early (and perhaps, long term) victory for the English would potentially butterfly away the Burgundian Wars and thus, save Burgundy, interesting precedent indeed.

Since most English wins timelines either leads to an eventual split down the road or a centralized union ala Vicky 2's Divergences mod, I would no doubt like to see how this plays out.

I am curious how giving Thomas, the Duchy of Aquitaine will later spread the seeds of Lancasterian disunity when in otl he died childless and was known for his loyalty to both his brother and nephew

Very nice. I would only suggest you bold the titles of the sections. Content needs no improvement.

Thanks for all the replies! I will get out the next update ASAP, hopefully tonight. As I said before, it will be Thomas that marries Agnes of Burgundy ITTL instead of his brother Bedford. As for a Lancastrian split, one will not happen this generation, but as for the next one only time will tell. Joan of Arc will make an appearance ITTL, but her fate will not be a happy one! Henry V will survive ITTL, one of the main divergences contributing to an English victory.
Scipio

Chapter 1: Sad Tidings
Part 2: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

“The House of Burgundy and the Birth of the Low Countries” by Johan Vander Zanden Brussels, 1931
Phillip the Good is undoubtedly to most crucial figure in the creation of the Low Countries as they are today. Their gradual unification under the House of Burgundy during the first half of the fifteenth century was achieved through a mix of conquest, collusion and purchase. However, his story in the Netherlands begins during his father’s reign when, in 1411, he was made lieutenant governor of Flanders. He acted as a personal ruler during this period while his father was involved in France. When hearing of the events of 1419 and 1420, he stayed in Flanders rather than take an army to France, and was glad to hear of his father’s alliance with the English and continued role in the French government due to the Treaty of Paris. Phillip made his first territorial aggrandizement with the purchase of the County of Namur from its debt-stricken count John[1].

The birth of a son to John of Brabant and Jacqueline of Hainault on November 21, 1420, name Anthony after his grandfather, created a major political realignment in the Low Countries [2]. Now that there was an heir to unite Brabant with Holland, Hainault and Zeeland, the Phillip the Good decided to change sides in the war between Jacqueline and her uncle, John of Bavaria. The birth also prevented any alliance possible alliance between John of Brabant and John of Bavaria. Phillip the Good reached an agreement with John of Brabant, whose government was increasingly dominated by his strong will wife, where by he would make war against John of Bavaria and his wife, Elisabeth of Luxembourg. In return, he would be allowed to conquer the Duchy of Luxembourg once victory was achieved.

The war started in April of 1421, when Philip led an army of 4000 men against John of Bavaria from his base in newly acquired Namur. Phillip moved through Luxembourg, pillaging as he went, but John refused to give battle. After a half-hearted siege of Luxembourg, Phillip withdrew to his own territories, with little gained from a years campaigning. However, Burgundy had very limited military engagements in France, and so their would be funds to continue the prosecution of the war the following year.
Sadly Phillip ended 1421 with news of the death of his wife, Michelle of Valois.

“Henry the Conqueror” by John Page London, 1933
Henry arrived back in France in 1421 with fresh troops and a pregnant wife. He was determined to bend the country to his will. He spent early 1421 consolidating his position in the Île de France by taking Chartres and Dreux. 1422 saw the fall the Meaux and Melun to English arms. These two towns would mark the border between his territory and that of John the Fearless. 1422 also saw the French lead a large army under John Stewart at the battle of Méon, the English troops led by John, Duke of Bedford. Despite the narrow victory, the Duke of Bedford died during the fighting, to the dismay of his brothers.

1422 ended with Henry triumphant when King Charles VI did in October 1422. Thus, on November 2 1422, Henry was crowned Henry II of France in Rheims cathedral. This gave him a great amount of legitimacy, as he presented himself as the true King of France. He called an Estates General in the winter of 1422 to confirm his coronation, however, it was only attended by those in territories under Lancastrian of Burgundian control However, Christmas 1422 saw Henry II firmly established as king in large parts of France, and working relentlessly to gain control of the rest.

1. As OTL. He gains several bases in the county, but does not gain full control until John of Namur’s death in 1429.
2. This is a major divergence. OTL their marriage failed, and Jacqueline ran off to marry Humphrey of Gloucester. Here, although still an unhappy marriage, they manage to produce an heir.

Last edited:
Well wasn't he in OTL? Kinda anyway.

TBH, the borders in a given year aren't my strong suit. Can we get a map with the borders of the relevant parties and maybe arrows showing their campaigns?

Tough break for Jehanne. As you know I am a big fan.

Well, large parts of France? He's doing better than OTL, I see.

Otherwise, not much to add except interest in seeing more as quickly as it is written. :D

Well wasn't he in OTL? Kinda anyway.

TBH, the borders in a given year aren't my strong suit. Can we get a map with the borders of the relevant parties and maybe arrows showing their campaigns?

Tough break for Jehanne. As you know I am a big fan.
Henry was only ever regent of France, he died before Charles VI and thus the crown passed to his one-year-old son Henry.
Unfortunately I have no mapmaking skills, and I can't even figure out how to attach my reference map to this site.. As for Joan of Arc, she will make an appearance in a few years, but as she is only 10 now, not yet. Butterflies will have big effects on her, however her visions will be largely unchanged.
Well, large parts of France? He's doing better than OTL, I see.

Otherwise, not much to add except interest in seeing more as quickly as it is written. :D
Well, actually he controls less right now than OTL because he has no troops in Champagne. However, he has consolidated control over the Île de France and Normandy, and is pushing into the Orléanais and Maine. The next update will focus on Thomas of Clarence/Aquitaine's campaign in the south, which will bring large amounts of territory into the English fold, and be reminiscent Henry of Grosmont's campaigns of the 1340s.
Scipio

Well, actually he controls less right now than OTL because he has no troops in Champagne. However, he has consolidated control over the Île de France and Normandy, and is pushing into the Orléanais and Maine. The next update will focus on Thomas of Clarence/Aquitaine's campaign in the south, which will bring large amounts of territory into the English fold, and be reminiscent Henry of Grosmont's campaigns of the 1340s.
Scipio

Still, sounds good for the time being . . . though prodding Parliament to grant additional money is going to be a problem for Henry in the near-ish future.

OTL, enthusiasm was already declining by his death, I'm not sure this would fire it up again.

This isn't to say he can't do anything, just that how he faces this is going to be important, and it may have consequences down the road.

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the name of your TL is the name of a book about British colonialism in Nigeria. Thought you would like to know.