WI:United West Slavia

What if The Przemyslids succesfully united Poland and Bohemia in the early 14th century and presumably they also annex Slovakia from Hungary, would a united West Slavia stop Germany from Unifying and what would happen to Lithuania and Russia if the West Slavs unite.

Last edited:
What if The Przemyslids succesfully united Poland and Bohemia in the early 14th century and presumably they also annex Slovakia from Hungary, would a united West Slavia stop Germany from Unifying and what would happen to Lithuania and Russia if the West Slavs unite.

It might, but it might also be as effective as the OTL Commonwealth, which is to say, not very much.

Lithuania and Russia - good question.

Russia would probably recover faster than IOTL without Poland-Lithuania breathing down it's neck. As for Lithuania - I don't know. Would it even convert to Christianity ITTL?

I'm guessing that Lithuania could become Orthodox if Poland shifted its focus on Bohemia and possibly Hungary. A nation that has the acronym PoBoHun would be a good name for such union.

I'm guessing that Lithuania could become Orthodox if Poland shifted its focus on Bohemia and possibly Hungary. A nation that has the acronym PoBoHun would be a good name for such union.

Although this raises a question. This is so far only a personal union of the crowns, it doesn't necessarily translate into merging the two kingdoms. Doing that might have some interesting legal consequences given the fact Bohemia is de jure part of the HRE.

I have always been a fan of the possibility of a Greater Czechomagyaria (though you would be excluding Poland, although not necessarily Silesia). And I guess you can have it with a late-ish POD (early 1500s) with a Jagellion dynasty in place.

Sorry, but a lot of the assumptions this plan relies on are based on anachronisms. And it's a transparent Polowank (though that isn't really the issue).

Well, let's assume the Przemyslids really snatch the Czech lands for themselves. OK. But it's kinda more dubious with Slovakia, for one simple reason : Our only historical borders that are really set in stone since the Middle Ages are the northern and western one. Where are you going to draw the line on what constitutes medieval Slovakia (aka Upper Hungary) back then ? The current southern border of SK was literally improvised during the 1920s, after an agreement between the former Entente states, the League of Nations and the "losing" states. A southern border could lead through anywhere - Horehronie, the Ipeľ catchment, the Danube...

My advice : Make Boleslaw Chrobry hold on to modern-day Slovakia, greatly increasing the territorial and economic power of the early Polish kingdom. Sure, it's a far earlier POD and the butterflies released would be gigantic, but I think it's a far more reasonable POD than the Przemyslids just marching into northern Hungary and taking it over night like in some game of Risk.

Alternatively - if the early 14th century POD is a must - let the Przemyslids make pals with all rebelling nobles in northern Hungary and sway them to their side and, eventually, put said nobles under their alliegance. A move that would need to be conducted in parallel would be constant attacks or assasination attempts on the fledgling Hungarian Anjevins. Also, shoo off any other competent candidates from the Hungarian throne that could retalliate militarily against the northern warlords and the Polish.

And what about : The eastern border. Where does it end ? Transcarpathian Ukraine ? Or even further ? Projecting the OTL easternmost borders of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth would be kind of anachronistic, given how the OTL PLC only came into being in the 15th century.

Another, border-unrelated note : What will the newly acquired territories gain from Przemyslid rule ? I doubt the Kingdom of Hungary would take the loss of its northern parts lightly. They were considered an essential part of the realm since its founding. The north's cities and gold, silver and copper mines were becoming increasingly important in the early 14th century, even before the new economic boom of the 1330s-1340s. So, if the Poles would want to keep this valuable territory, they'd have to genuinely convince the local populace that being a part of Hungary is not worth it and they'd be better off under Polish rule. In essence, win over their hearts and minds, as well as their territory. Then slowly integrate their society into the existing Polish one and start reaping the benefits of the aforementioned mine deposits and growing wealth from craftsmen and (in this era, mostly German) rich citizens and patricians of the north's cities.

Last edited:
Sorry, but a lot of the assumptions this plan relies on are based on anachronisms. And it's a transparent Polowank (though that isn't really the issue).

Well, let's assume the Przemyslids really snatch the Czech lands for themselves. OK. But it's kinda more dubious with Slovakia, for one simple reason : Our only historical borders that are really set in stone since the Middle Ages are the northern and western one. Where are you going to draw the line on what constitutes medieval Slovakia (aka Upper Hungary) back then ? The current southern border of SK was literally improvised during the 1920s, after an agreement between the former Entente states, the League of Nations and the "losing" states. A southern border could lead through anywhere - Horehronie, the Ipeľ catchment, the Danube...

My advice : Make Boleslaw Chrobry hold on to modern-day Slovakia, greatly increasing the territorial and economic power of the early Polish kingdom. Sure, it's a far earlier POD and the butterflies released would be gigantic, but I think it's a far more reasonable POD than the Przemyslids just marching into northern Hungary and taking it over night like in some game of Risk.

Alternatively - if the early 14th century POD is a must - let the Przemyslids make pals with all rebelling nobles in northern Hungary and sway them to their side and, eventually, put said nobles under their alliegance. A move that would need to be conducted in parallel would be constant attacks or assasination attempts on the fledgling Hungarian Anjevins. Also, shoo off any other competent candidates from the Hungarian throne that could retalliate militarily against the northern warlords and the Polish.

And what about : The eastern border. Where does it end ? Transcarpathian Ukraine ? Or even further ? Projecting the OTL easternmost borders of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth would be kind of anachronistic, given how the OTL PLC only came into being in the 15th century.

Another, border-unrelated note : What will the newly acquired territories gain from Przemyslid rule ? I doubt the Kingdom of Hungary would take the loss of its northern parts lightly. They were considered an essential part of the realm since its founding. The north's cities and gold, silver and copper mines were becoming increasingly important in the early 14th century, even before the new economic boom of the 1330s-1340s. So, if the Poles would want to keep this valuable territory, they'd have to genuinely convince the local populace that being a part of Hungary is not worth it and they'd be better off under Polish rule. In essence, win over their hearts and minds, as well as their territory. Then slowly integrate their society into the existing Polish one and start reaping the benefits of the aforementioned mine deposits and growing wealth from craftsmen and (in this era, mostly German) rich citizens and patricians of the north's cities.
The Eastern border is the OTL Border of Poland and GDL and if they gain OTL Slovakia Transcarpathian Ukraine will also be their border, yeah it would be hard for the Przemyslids to gain Slovakia because they are a part of the Crown of Hungary..

Would a united Germany still exist if this United West Slav State exists assuming that it might gobble up Brandenburg and Lusatia later on.

Would a united Germany still exist if this United West Slav State exists assuming that it might gobble up Brandenburg and Lusatia later on.

Certainly possible. Gobbling up Brandenburg doesn't mean that no one else will or can do anything - the OTL Hohenzollern situation is butterflied anyway, after all.