Worst air force in all of human history

What was/is the most laughable, incompetent or badly equipped air force in all of history ? And I don't mean once or for a couple of years, but constantly, ever since its founding. Minus points include badly trained pilots, horrible safety record, awful battle doctrine, nonsensically chosen aircraft types, bad maintenance of aircraft, flight staff and command not actually giving half a damn about anything and last but not least... sucky markings !

The thread is yours. :D

North. Korean. Air Force.

/thread
I wouldn't be so sure of that. They've received a lot of modern equipment since the Cold War ended, and probably are getting some Chinese aid (training, electronics) as well. Besides, their pilots are good enough to fly over to South Korea to defect, so they can't be that bad.

The LTTE's?

I'm partial to this answer. I think their glorified air wing made up of stolen sport planes is borderline ridiculous. I'm not sure about the non-effectiveness though. They did achieve a few succesful bombing runs on airports and what not. But besides petty terror campaigns, I still think they suck.

The Somalian Air Force?

I don't know. Many African AFs aren't as incompetent as it would seem at first glance. But yeah, Somalia's military hasn't been in good shape for several decades.

Last edited:
nm I heard the airforce of the Taliban consisted of ww1 style fighter planes. The Americans destroyed it all on the first day of the war before they even got a chance to take off.

nm I heard the airforce of the Taliban consisted of ww1 style fighter planes. The Americans destroyed it all on the first day of the war before they even got a chance to take off.

Really ? I thought they just inherited the jets of the Afghan government. Though if you mean some museum pieces they might have broken out during their retreat...

Bolivia still uses P-80s.

I know, and they're actually the license-built Canadian variant, not the American original. :D Though it isn't a bad plane and many countries still use fairly outdated jets.

Heck, many central American countries use the Basler BT-67 as their transport. It's just an updated Skytrain/DC-3, but it is still a pretty reliable transport plane despite being partially obsolete.

Last edited:
Italy.

We're done here.

Actually, out of all of Italy's armed forces during World War II, the air force probably had the best record. They carried out their mission in many cases despite having inferior equipment, and produced their share of aces during the war, too.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
North. Korean. Air Force.

/thread

The DPRK is saddled with older aircraft but it is far from the worst of all time.

It is considerably more capable than the Philippine Air Force (to name a nearby nation) and would certainly be a serious opponent to a number of the world's current air forces (including several Western ones).

Bolivia still uses P-80s.

Bolivia operates the AT-33, as does Canada. No air force dares to do incursion flights over Bolivia, and Bolivia does not have any F-35s on order.

India has the highest crash rate, to ensure that they will always have the most modern aircraft in service.

Bolivia operates the AT-33, as does Canada. No air force dares to do incursion flights over Bolivia, and Bolivia does not have any F-35s on order.

India has the highest crash rate, to ensure that they will always have the most modern aircraft in service.

I think thats mostly a combination of older aircraft (The Mig 21 was never famed for its safety record) and a really harsh climate for aircraft.