Gangway for Captain Marvel!

Something that was never really explored I think...

Fawcett Publications actually won against DC when they were sued, but eventually they simply settled, and eventually Captain Marvel got sold to DC...but what if he didn't? What if the character stayed in publication by Fawcett Comics? Could their stable of characters continue on to the present day? Would theirs be the lineup of more kid-friendly stuff fighting against DC (and maybe Marvel), or would the company just accept bankruptcy and sell him off to the highest bidder?

That would be nice. The end of the Golden Age seems like something in which Captain Marvel would have thrived, and I think he just needed more aliens to make it through the silver age. I can see Fawcett inventing a JLA/Avengers analog with some new characters as well as Cap and a few canceled heroes brought back. After that, some of those other characters would get their own series.
I'm wondering what would happen in the bronze age. Would Fawcett's superheroes have gotten edgier, or would they have stayed the same? Either way, I imagine there would have been a few more minority characters in Captain Marvel comics at that point.

Something that was never really explored I think...

Fawcett Publications actually won against DC when they were sued, but eventually they simply settled, and eventually Captain Marvel got sold to DC...but what if he didn't? What if the character stayed in publication by Fawcett Comics? Could their stable of characters continue on to the present day? Would theirs be the lineup of more kid-friendly stuff fighting against DC (and maybe Marvel), or would the company just accept bankruptcy and sell him off to the highest bidder?

they only won on a technicality (national had failed to copyright certain strips), the second case was lost on merit.

About the only way I could see them settling without stopping publication would be to abandon certain aspect to make Captain Marvel less "superman-like" (unlikely but not impossible) such as a costume change (while keeping the colours and bolt) not having him fly or be invulnerable, etc.... This would be similar to the recent case of Rob liefield's version of Fighting American which was clearly inspired by Captain America to the point that it went to court and as part of the settlement had to promise that his shield would never be use in cap's trademark's fashion.

they only won on a technicality (national had failed to copyright certain strips), the second case was lost on merit.

About the only way I could see them settling without stopping publication would be to abandon certain aspect to make Captain Marvel less "superman-like" (unlikely but not impossible) such as a costume change (while keeping the colours and bolt) not having him fly or be invulnerable, etc.... This would be similar to the recent case of Rob liefield's version of Fighting American which was clearly inspired by Captain America to the point that it went to court and as part of the settlement had to promise that his shield would never be use in cap's trademark's fashion.
Exactly, but enough groundwork can be made on the fact that he truly isn't similar to Superman...of course Fawcett isn't made out of money....

Exactly, but enough groundwork can be made on the fact that he truly isn't similar to Superman...of course Fawcett isn't made out of money....

That was actualy their case, they concentrated mainly on 2 aspects: its magical origin (as opposed to superman being an alien) and his seceret identity being a boy (as opposed to a grown man). The problem is that in term of powers and visual recognition on the other hand, they are way too similar so that there would probably be a need to do some changes like those I mentioned previously.

Fawcett might simply promise to make changes it feel would allow it to maintain publication but national would think could still manage to have the character forced off the shelves in the middle to long run (this settlement might have happened before the second case when both side were a bit desperate for a compromise).

So you have a "New and Improved Captain Marvel !" appearing, sporting a less super-hero-y costume and more sci-fy one (its the 50s after all), maybe something with those pointing epaulette illustrators of that era were so fond of. His physical powers are downplayed a lot and instead he use his wits and new "thunderbolt powers" to attack his foes. The rest of his cast would probably remain largely unchanged although I assume the marvel family's costume would follow suit. Sivana would probably grow hair has even though he appeared first, you wouldn't want him to be confused with luthor.

But Captain Marvel flew before Superman could, and like Marc Pasquin said, Sivana was originally bald, unlike Luthor. National doesn't have a legal leg to stand on there. And Fawcett can point out that many superheroes can fly. I can picture him ditching his cape and maybe making other changes to his costume, though.

Also, I don't think Captain Marvel has to be too science-fictiony. He just has to encounter aliens and robots more often. I can see a bigger role for Mr. Mind and Mr. Atom.

But Captain Marvel flew before Superman could, and like Marc Pasquin said, Sivana was originally bald, unlike Luthor. National doesn't have a legal leg to stand on there. And Fawcett can point out that many superheroes can fly. I can picture him ditching his cape and maybe making other changes to his costume, though.

Also, I don't think Captain Marvel has to be too science-fictiony. He just has to encounter aliens and robots more often. I can see a bigger role for Mr. Mind and Mr. Atom.

Also the OP didn't ask for "Captain Marvel: Space Ranger" it asked for "Captain Marvel: Earth's Mightiest Mortal".

I would imagine that CM gets a revamp in the early 60's along the lines of Superman, making him a bit for grounded in reality and giving Billy Batson a more varied wardrobe if nothing else. One interesting development of a continuing Captain Marvel is that it could well butterfly away the British superhero Marvelman. He was after created to fill the gap left in the UK when Captain Marvel became unavailable.

I've always been nonplussed by the Supes vs Caps legal shenanigans. If Cap hadn't outsold Supes then would there have been a big issue? If Cap had been drawn more like Marvelman would that have swung the case in Fawcett's favour? Then again, if Mary had come along that bit earlier, would there have been a Wonder Woman vs Mary Marvel legal battle?

I've always been nonplussed by the Supes vs Caps legal shenanigans. If Cap hadn't outsold Supes then would there have been a big issue? If Cap had been drawn more like Marvelman would that have swung the case in Fawcett's favour? Then again, if Mary had come along that bit earlier, would there have been a Wonder Woman vs Mary Marvel legal battle?

From what I remember reading, the publishing company of superman was a bit trigger happy when it came to defending its property. they went after some other, obscure characters (the only one that comes to mind is Master Man but there were others) if they felt they came anywhere close to superman. The only thing that save Captain Marvel was that Fawcett unlike the other companies didn't folded upon receiving the cease and desist order.

Holy Mole!
Captain Marvel is perfect for the 50s and the comic code era.
I see a light heart characters drawing by Kurt Schaffenberger and Bob Osker.
In 1954 Walt Disney buy the copyrights for a TV serial "Adventures of Captain Marvel".
Cap become the most popular tv hero togheter Superman,Zorro,and Davy Crockett.
Today Captain Marvel is yet published; is a comic in the light style of Archie.

something that just occured to me, what if the copyright problem experienced by national peridical was worst in ATL ? since they were losing to captain marvel anyway, they decide to concentrate on their other characters and accept a large cash settlement in exchange for allowing fawcett the right to a "licence" to publish him.

So, you have fawcett keep publishing super-heroes comics. Would it eventualy push away DC or would it be the 3rd big one alongside it and marvel ?

something that just occured to me, what if the copyright problem experienced by national peridical was worst in ATL ? since they were losing to captain marvel anyway, they decide to concentrate on their other characters and accept a large cash settlement in exchange for allowing fawcett the right to a "licence" to publish him.

So, you have fawcett keep publishing super-heroes comics. Would it eventualy push away DC or would it be the 3rd big one alongside it and marvel ?

I think it would have been very cool for Fawcett to have kept publishing Captain Marvel. And an exceptionally popular Captain Marvel keeping Fawcett Comics going would have been great.

However Fawcett didn't have a deep enough bench of super heroes to have lasted in any long term Comic Book war with the other vendors. Doesn't mean they couldn't have used the profits from an extremely popular Captain Marvel to increase their universe.

Perhaps the best bet for a lasting competitor against DC and Marvel would be some sort of Fawcett and Charlton merger. Charlton in the 50s did buy out several of Fawcett's titles (as well as several other comic book companies). So what if Charlton buys out all of Fawcett's titles and keeps up the fight against DC and the Superman infringement?

Charlton could then put out a pretty good universe of heroes:

- Captain Marvel
- The rest of the Marvel Family
- Bulletman
- Spy Smasher
- Golden Arrow
- Mr. Scarlet & Pinky
- Blue Beetle
- Captain Atom
- The Question
- Thunderbolt
- Peacemaker
- Judomaster
- Son of Vulcan

As the 70s come around, many of these characters would have to be revamped to maintain popularity. Particularly, Captain Marvel would have a hard time remaining as a campy/young-kid friendly character and continue being a high selling title.

As the 70s come around, many of these characters would have to be revamped to maintain popularity. Particularly, Captain Marvel would have a hard time remaining as a campy/young-kid friendly character and continue being a high selling title.

Although thats quite possible, considering DC and marvel would be doing that, fawcett might concentrate on a very narrow demographric (think Archie) and market themselves as "comics the Code doubly approve" instead.

Yes,a superheroe for kids,why not?
And about 70s,think to a Marvel family cartoon in Superfriends style.
If Scoobedoo have a market,why not Captain Marvel?

Although thats quite possible, considering DC and marvel would be doing that, fawcett might concentrate on a very narrow demographric (think Archie) and market themselves as "comics the Code doubly approve" instead.

God I hope not. Some of the adult orientated work Jerry Ordway and others have done on Captain Marvel is superb and the character has too much potential to be stuck in the cheesy Archie ghetto.

I did think of Fawcett merging with another company to increase their stable but dislike the idea of using Charlton because it butterflies away the Blue Beetle/Booster Gold relationship, however it does make sense considering how strong some of Charlton's characters are compared to others. Alternatively there's Nedor, who folded in 56, with characters like The Black Terror, Doc Strange and Captain Future.

Alternatively there's Nedor, who folded in 56, with characters like The Black Terror, Doc Strange and Captain Future.
With Nedor it would probably be a Fawcett takeover rather than a merger. Fawcett is more competitive and sells much more, and as a whole, is still more recognizable, so I don't see why they merge with Nedor.

However Charlton does make a lot of sense, and the added boost of the Marvel family could help increase sales and keep them in the market for longer. And if we have this situation, Marvel Comics likely couldn't call themselves that, as Captain Marvel would be published regularly, and already in play once they gain a resurgence, so what else could Atlas Comics rename themselves?