Full blown Mexico-US war after WWII

Is there anyway a full blown war can occur after WWII involving Mexico and the USA? I assume if a leftist over throw occurs and it all goes south would be the only way.

Right, Mexico picks a war with a country that's much larger, much more industrialised, already on a war footing, and has a much larger and more experienced army. It's going to be a really short war.

The Mexican government gets overthrown in a nationalist, semi-fascist coup. They try and and invade the U.S in the regimes mad attempt to gain legitimacy by getting old Mexican territories back. The U.S then kicks Mexico's ass so hard that the Mexican Army won't even have the pride to call itself that after the war. Mexico gets a nice, pro-U.S government installed, maybe some border territories are annexed to the U.S, and all is well in the Western World once again.

Could have a different PoD in which the US turns nasty and decides to annex Mexico. Not a lot militarily to stop them, but there'd be perpetual issues with guerillas.

Short answer to OP's question: NO.

Long and winded answer: Given the state of the Mexican Army, Navy and Air Force on those periods, any attempt at going to war from Mexico (let alone a proposal, whether by coup or by the current government) is going to be brushed aside and laughed off. Besides, the country and the population back then was VERY pro-US, given that by that moment, many Braceros were coming back, the Mexican miracle was in full swing due to the help of some entrepreneurs from our northern neighbour and some of us, and not to mention the recent collaboration between both countries in the Philipines during WWII.

Note: Every time I see a "US gets Baja on the 20th century" statement, I must resist the urge of getting a self-inflicted concussion...

Only if they treat them like the Nazis treated their conquests, if they improve the local situation, then there won't be much resistance.

Only if they treat them like the Nazis treated their conquests, if they improve the local situation, then there won't be much resistance.

The Mexican government still has problems with homegrown rebel groups now - I don't think any foreign conqueror is going to get a warmer reception.

The Mexican government still has problems with homegrown rebel groups now - I don't think any foreign conqueror is going to get a warmer reception.
We're talking about an invasion coming probably before 1950, and almost certainly before 1960.

To make it work in any way you'd certainly have to change the Mexican 1940 presidential election, and possibly the 1934 one as well. I've no idea what the butterflies would be.

If Mexico were to go openly communist there would be a US 'intervention' within days. The US would never tolerate a communist nation on its border.

The Drug Cartel war gets worse and chaos ensues. A Republican neo-con hawk wins the presidency in 2012. As border incidents increase, the president decides to step in and sort things out over the objections of the current Mexican government. The US military rolls over the Mexican military (although not as easily as expected), but faces a nasty insurgency.

The Drug Cartel war gets worse and chaos ensues. A Republican neo-con hawk wins the presidency in 2012. As border incidents increase, the president decides to step in and sort things out over the objections of the current Mexican government. The US military rolls over the Mexican military (although not as easily as expected), but faces a nasty insurgency.

I'm PRETTY sure this subforum is for events between 1900 and today, today being whatever the current date of posting is. But I could be wrong and his question might apply to ANY date after WWII.

In which case, I'd have to reverse my position on that and say, yes, a war is assured simply because of the principle that by 10 to the power of googol years*from now, nearly every instance of anything that will have ever existed and also which will have never existed will have spontaneously come into existence in the shapeless, formless, indescribably dark void that is this Universe after its heat death.

The Mexican government gets overthrown in a nationalist, semi-fascist coup. They try and and invade the U.S in the regimes mad attempt to gain legitimacy by getting old Mexican territories back. The U.S then kicks Mexico's ass so hard that the Mexican Army won't even have the pride to call itself that after the war. Mexico gets a nice, pro-U.S government installed, maybe some border territories are annexed to the U.S, and all is well in the Western World once again.
This has got to be the least plausible scenario you could have come up with in this thread.
First, no person sane enough to rule Mexico even for one day could believe they can win a war against the US. Even a communist government wouldn't pick a fight with the US (but the US might pick a fight with them).
Second, all other nationalist, semi-fascist dictator in OTL postwar latin america realised that their best chance to stay in power was to profit from the red scare by proclaming themselves "fighters against communism" and obtain subsidies from the US. Why would these Mexicans be different?

This has got to be the least plausible scenario you could have come up with in this thread.
First, no person sane enough to rule Mexico even for one day could believe they can win a war against the US. Even a communist government wouldn't pick a fight with the US (but the US might pick a fight with them).
Second, all other nationalist, semi-fascist dictator in OTL postwar latin america realised that their best chance to stay in power was to profit from the red scare by proclaming themselves "fighters against communism" and obtain subsidies from the US. Why would these Mexicans be different?
Because it's an incredibly implausible question as is, so I came up with the best thing I could. I fully admit it's stupid, it's just an incredibly implausible answer to an equally implausible question.

There was a book I read when I was in middle and high school involving civil strife in Mexico and the U.S. establishing a buffer zone on the Mexican side of the border. A major subplot involved the first female soldier or officer being deployed in ground combat.

Can't remember the title though. I think what happened was there was a left-wing takeover and the drug lords were trying to stir up so much crap it'd provoke a U.S. intervention to get rid of the new government.

That's a lot more realistic than Mexico picking a fight it can't win or the United States getting "Manifest Destiny" flashbacks.

This works. Or maybe there's an ugly cross-border incident that spirals out of control.

Say some Mexican criminals do something bad in, say, Texas, and get pursued across an unclear part of the border by the Texas Guard. The Guard collides with the Mexican military and there's a fight.

(Bonus points if the criminals ARE elements of the Mexican military in pay of the cartels.)

Things spiral from there.

There was a book I read when I was in middle and high school involving civil strife in Mexico and the U.S. establishing a buffer zone on the Mexican side of the border. A major subplot involved the first female soldier or officer being deployed in ground combat.

Can't remember the title though. I think what happened was there was a left-wing takeover and the drug lords were trying to stir up so much crap it'd provoke a U.S. intervention to get rid of the new government.

That's a lot more realistic than Mexico picking a fight it can't win or the United States getting "Manifest Destiny" flashbacks.

Trial by Fire, by Harold Coyle. It was part of a series.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

The Mexican government also had a history of treating those local group like serfs.