AHC: More Baltic States

Well, I think Finland was considered to be the fourth one in the Interwar Period, but they became 'different groups' when the southern three were conquered by the USSR but Finland persevered. So if you count Finland you have four already.

Well, I think Finland was considered to be the fourth one in the Interwar Period, but they became 'different groups' when the southern three were conquered by the USSR but Finland persevered. So if you count Finland you have four already.
Thats a good start.

• Estonia
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Finland.

You could have a surviving Hanseatic of Teutonic state surviving in a limited way. The Hanse could simply control a 'free city' like Tallinn, for example.

The Åland Islands are a good shout, I think.
An independent Kaliningrad after the collaspe of the USSR could also be considered.
Even though it is quite significantly detached from the actual Baltic, I think through necessity a Karelian Republic would be forced to be considered a Baltic state. I can't see it surviving otherwise (particuarly as Finland sits right next to it).

I also have cool visions of seeing Götaland remain the only bastion of a displaced government from Sweden - maybe in a Swedish civil war after the Napoleonic Wars the Bernadottes could flee there? That's a bit of a 'Romanovs flee to Alaska' story, but still quite cool.

Incidentally, I'd also say in the wider sense of the term, Sweden could be considered a Baltic state.

• Estonia
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Finland
  • Götaland
  • Kaliningrad/Königsberg
  • Hanseatic free cities
  • (Karelia)
  • Courland
  • Sweden
Quite fun working out potential ones, actually!
:D:eek::D

MSZ

Banned
Have the Free City of Danzig and Free City of Memel survive long enoughto declare independnce. That's +2.

You could also divide Estonia and Latvia differently, making room for Livonia between them. IIRC the United Baltic Dutchy was divided like that, so if the German withdrawal from there could be slower post-WWI, the UBC could establish itself de facto and Estonia, Livonia and Courland forming from its dissolution rather than unilateral independence.

Additionaly, during the Vilinius Crisis, the Lithuanians proclaimed Vilinius a Free City under LoN supervision (lasted for a few hours, the Lon never recognized it and neither did anyone else). Maybe if the Polish - Lithuanian conflict ended differently, Vilinius could be considered yet another one?

So:

-Finland
-Estonia
-Livonia
-Lithuania
-East Prussia
-Free City of Vilinius
-Free City of Memel
-Free City of Danzig

Stalin decides not to expel any Germans east of the Oder-Neisse Line. East Prussia and Danzig are made a "Prussian SSR", and the DDR is formed out of the Soviet Sector.

After the USSR's collapse, the Federal Republic is unwilling to swallow the DDR (equal in landmass and nearly equal in population) immediately and delays reunification to the future. The "Prussian SSR" gains independence as a "Prussian Republic".

After the breakup of the USSR, backed by Finland, Ingria declares independence from Russia, South-West of Leningrad

Dementor

Banned
Have the Free City of Danzig and Free City of Memel survive long enoughto declare independnce. That's +2.

You could also divide Estonia and Latvia differently, making room for Livonia between them. IIRC the United Baltic Dutchy was divided like that, so if the German withdrawal from there could be slower post-WWI, the UBC could establish itself de facto and Estonia, Livonia and Courland forming from its dissolution rather than unilateral independence.
The problem with Livonia that it's populated by Estonians and Latvians which would want to join their respective independent countries, so it wouldn't be a stable country. Unless all three were just German puppet states and it doesn't seem likely that the Allies would permit this.

After the breakup of the USSR, backed by Finland, Ingria declares independence from Russia, South-West of Leningrad
There are practically no Ingrians left.

MSZ

Banned
The problem with Livonia that it's populated by Estonians and Latvians which would want to join their respective independent countries, so it wouldn't be a stable country. Unless all three were just German puppet states and it doesn't seem likely that the Allies would permit this.

Indeed; that's why I suggested a much slower withdrawal of the Ober-Ost, one that allows some kind of Baltic German Skoropadsky backed by the Germans to take power and keep it. If he can avoid a French intervension, which he could if he kept on fighting against the soviets rather than going against the Entante, there would be a microscopic, but not yet ASB-grade chance for such a Livonia to survive for at least some time.

Schleswieg-Holstein made an independent state in the treaty of Versailles. The treaty powers wanted to give it back to Denmark but the Danes didnt want Holstein because it was too German. Denmark only wanted Schleswieg and insisted on a plebiscite.

If the Russian Revolution goes differently then maybe you could have a rump Russian state based out of St Petersburg that could be seen as Baltic. Maybe the allies manage to keep St Petersburg for the whites but not much else with the Soviets based out of Moscow. Then about 50 years later have the Estonians and maybe Karelians get independence from the Russian Kingdom. (Latvia, Lithuania still retain independence and Prussia separated from Germany at end of WW1)
So
  • Russian Kingdom
  • Finland
  • Estonia
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Prussia
  • Karelia

Dementor

Banned
Indeed; that's why I suggested a much slower withdrawal of the Ober-Ost, one that allows some kind of Baltic German Skoropadsky backed by the Germans to take power and keep it. If he can avoid a French intervension, which he could if he kept on fighting against the soviets rather than going against the Entante, there would be a microscopic, but not yet ASB-grade chance for such a Livonia to survive for at least some time.
The problem is how he could be able to control the country when the Baltic Germans are about 8% of the population. Of course the German army could prop it, but after they withdraw, what would be able to stop the Latvians and Estonians from overthrowing it? The Baltic Germans would need to control Courland and Estland as well, or Livonia would be quickly divided between the two. And if the Baltic Germans manage to keep control by force, Communism would become very popular in the Baltic states...