AHC: Basque nation

I assume you mean a Basque nation-state? There is a Basque nation, they just don't have a state

Later POD? Or no-pronuciamento against Frente Popular and you'll have a conservative nationalism in Euskal Herria around the 1940, that could lead to independence.

OR, you have a much much problematic out-of francoism seventies, with no return of monarchy, and with a possible independence of EH, with Catalonia, off a IV Spanish Republic.

The later the PoD the better.
Should have at least 1 million native speakers.
The Basques fought against the Visigoths in the periods of their internal weakness with some success. They even occupied several vast provinces of Spain for some time.
So make them more successful and let them withstand against the following Arab invasion. That's the POD.

The latest PoD: a fucked-up post-Francoist Spain, as LSCatalina pointed out.

Even later: somewhen in the future... not the most likely event to happen in these following decades but not at all implausible...

The neatest PoD: a Kingdom of Navarre that survives, keeping at least Biscay. If they manage to survive absorption by choosing one of their neighbors as an ally, they're going to have a very interesting role in World History. When the Age of Discoveries kicks in, the Basques will play the game. Convenient location and excellent sailors.

And Neither state has alot of money or people.

Neither Portugal nor the Netherlands...
They don't need to fair as well as the Portuguese or the Dutch but since the 1400s Basques from OTL were specially known as great sailors, I see potential for a Basque Newfoundland or so.

The Basques have a massive head start what with fishing near the Grand Banks in the mid-15th century.

So keep Navarre from being eaten up by its neighbors and you have a recipe for Basque *Newfoundland (How'd you say that in Euskadi?)

Winnabago

Banned
Er...isn’t it obvious? Butterfly away the Indo-European invasion, so that a far larger number of people are Basque-ish.

Er...isn’t it obvious? Butterfly away the Indo-European invasion, so that a far larger number of people are Basque-ish.

Butterflying IE "invasion" (gosh, there still people believing this aryan warrior fariytale?) would only make a more important Iberic population, likely to overthrown more importantly the Basc than OTL, with a mediterranean population (the Ligurs, by exemple, if we admit they weren't IE)

Winnabago

Banned
I apologize. When I said “invasion”, I meant “send hugs” because that is what peoples attempting to seize new lands do.

They probably weren’t Aryan (white). However, my bet is that the local Europeans were white, and the Indo-Europeans intermarried in.

The Iberians had no ability or desire to take over the whole of the Iberian peninsula, from what I can tell: their settlements make them out as if they were a seafaring people in the Med.

The Basques to them would be hill tribes who would be highly irritating and pointless to conquer.

Butterflying IE "invasion" (gosh, there still people believing this aryan warrior fariytale?) would only make a more important Iberic population, likely to overthrown more importantly the Basc than OTL, with a mediterranean population (the Ligurs, by exemple, if we admit they weren't IE)

Actually, the consensus currently seems that it is merely ambiguous, both invasions and diffusions. there was part invasions, part conquests, part simple assimilation, part cultural taking, etc... it's not black or white. In India by example, it was parts of both.

There obviously had to be some fighting, old populations dont just vanish when a new group shows up and starts taking all the stuff and I doubt they didnt atleast attempt to fight them.

The Basques have a massive head start what with fishing near the Grand Banks in the mid-15th century.

So keep Navarre from being eaten up by its neighbors and you have a recipe for Basque *Newfoundland (How'd you say that in Euskadi?)

They'd probably just call it New Navarre, thats the naming tradition most colonialists used.

The problem is that Navarre was a land-locked country... You would need the basques not to join Castille in the XII-XIII century.

Neither Portugal nor the Netherlands...
They don't need to fair as well as the Portuguese or the Dutch but since the 1400s Basques from OTL were specially known as great sailors, I see potential for a Basque Newfoundland or so.

The Netherlands and Portugal had small Colonies (excluding Brazil) and also mostly went for Colonies in the Old World

Just because there fishing there doesn`t mean the government knows that theye could colonize it. They did`nt OTL. Scandinavians were over there. Did that lead to anything? Newfoundland is not profitable either, and is also an area where they would conflict with the British and French.

The problem is that Navarre was a land-locked country... You would need the basques not to join Castille in the XII-XIII century.

Localizaci%C3%B3n_de_Navarra.svg
Navarre1400.png