Croats = Catholic Serbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 19th century European Romantic Nationalist movements broke out across the continent culminating in the unification of Italy and Germany as well as Pan-Slavist ambitions in Russia and the potential breakup of the multi-national Habsburg and Ottoman Empires into smaller nation states. What virtually all these national movements had in common was the belief that a nation was defined by its language. If people spoke the same language, that meant they were the same people and this was supposed to override differences in religion and historical development.

In the Balkans however the story turned out differently. Today Serbs, Croats and Bosniaks all speak the same language (Serbs call it Serbian, Croats call it Croatian etc.) yet consider themselves different nations solely because of their religion

Serbs = Orthodox
Croats = Catholic
Bosniaks = Muslim

The fact that these southern Slavs were never able to overcome their religious differences the way Germans (Protestants and Catholics) Hungarians and Bulgarians (Orthodox and Muslim) were able to is quite interesting. That doesn't meant there weren't attempts to unify today's Croats, Serbs, and Bosniaks as one people. There was Ljudevit Gaj's Illyrian Movement, Strossmayer's Yugoslavism and Vuk Karadzic's Pan-Serbianism.

My interest here is with the Serbian national movement, and in particular Vuk Karadzic's Serbian national ideolgoy. The main tenants of Karadzic's ideology were as follows:

1. A nation is defined by the language its people speak.

2. The South Slavs (exlcuding the Bulgarians) can be divided into three main language groups: Stokavians who were Serbs, Cakavians who were Croats, and Kajkavians who were Slovenes

The problem for Vuk Karadzic was that although Orthodox Stokavian speakers identified themselves as Serbs, the Catholic and Muslim Stokavian speakers did not. The Muslims called themselves Turks (at the time the Ottoman Empire was still ruling the Balkans) and most of the Catholics identified themselves as Croatian, Dalmatian, Slavonian etc in other words, they had a regional identification.

Because a nation was defined by its language, and all Orthodox Serbs spoke Stokavian, it followed that Stokavian was the Serbian language. Therefore all other other Slavs who spoke STokavian were Serbs regardless of their religion. Karadzic's Serbian nationalism at its core therefore argued this:

Before the Turks conquered the Balkans all Serbs had been ORthodox Christian with thier own medieval state and church. After the Ottoman Empire conquered Serbia, one part of the Serbian population fled from the Turks into neighboring Christian Austria and Hungary, while the other part of the Serbian population remained living under the Ottoman Empire. The same way centuries of Muslim rule under the Ottoman Empire made many Orthodox Serbs who stayed convert to Islam, so too centuries of Catholic rule under the Habsburg Empire made many Orthodox Serbs convert to Catholicism. Their change in religion however could not change their nationality, which was defined by their language.

Now obviously Karadzic's linguistic nationalism failed, because Serbs today exclusively identify themselves with Orthodoxy while Croats with Catholicism etc. However I'm interested to hear whether anyone thinks it was possible to overcome that religious division. Could today's Croats have been assimilated as Roman Catholic Serbs in the 19th century the way Protesant and CAtholic Germans overcame religious differences as well as Hungarians, Albanians and Greeks did.

I really don't know enough about that, all I can think is: Autrian-Hungarian-Serbian triple monarchy!:eek: and there goes WW1...

Not as Catholic Serbs, no. As Catholic Yugoslavs, perhaps.

Part of the problem is terminology - part of the Serbian/Croatian identity is being Orthodox/Catholic.

That is, in generalised terms: Orthodox Serbo-Croats = Serbs, Catholic Serbo-Croats = Croatians

If you really want Croats = Catholic Serbs you probably need to maintain continuance from the 14thC Serbian Empire. That way you get to have Rascian Serbs, Bosnian Serbs, Pomorian Serbs, Syrmian Serbs etc with recognised regional differences in religion and dialects as opposed to national ones

If you really want Croats = Catholic Serbs you probably need to maintain continuance from the 14thC Serbian Empire. That way you get to have Rascian Serbs, Bosnian Serbs, Pomorian Serbs, Syrmian Serbs etc with recognised regional differences in religion and dialects as opposed to national ones

This.

If Serbia remains the dominant Serbo-Croatophone state from the Middle Ages into the modern era, then in all likely-hood any Croatian state may be seen somewhat like an "Austria" to Serbia's "Germany", i.e. a separate national identity, but not necessarily a separate ethnolinguistic identity. Throw in some pan-nationalism later on and any unification would be Croatia being absorbed into Serbia.

Another scenario with a surviving Serbian Empire would be if the Croats continue to be ruled by a non-Slavic power (likely Hungarians or Austrians... Possibly Italians), in which case resistance groups may appeal to the Serbs for outside help and their campaigns would more likely be focused on annexation by Serbia rather than independence.

But what will the Serb/Croat/Bosniak nation called? Yugoslavia isn't inclusive, since Slovenes and Bulgarians are also "Yugo-Slavs". "Zapadnibalkania" sounds too artificial. And would this new state become a neutral Swiss-like state due to its multi-religious identity?

But what will the Serb/Croat/Bosniak nation called? Yugoslavia isn't inclusive, since Slovenes and Bulgarians are also "Yugo-Slavs". "Zapadnibalkania" sounds too artificial. And would this new state become a neutral Swiss-like state due to its multi-religious identity?

I'm partial to referring to Serbs/Croats/Bosniaks collectively as "Slavonians" and a united S/C/B state as "Slavonia" (Serbo-Croatian: Славонија/Slavonija), but with an independent Slovenia in the mix that could get a bit confusing :p

It could be embellished a bit and called (in English) "Slavonica", the demonym being "Slavonic".

And if we go with yugo91aesop's premise or a premise with a surviving Serbian Empire it would just be called "Serbia" anyway, so there's no need to come up with a new name.

I don't see why it would be neutral due to a multi-denominational identity - that certainly never stopped the Germans from taking defined positions in world events.

Last edited:
I'm partial to referring to Serbs/Croats/Bosniaks collectively as "Slavonians" and a united S/C/B s

But Slavonia refers to a region in eastern Croatia. It seems as strange as referring to all Germans as "Saxons" since the Luther Bible was based on the Saxon dialect.

But Slavonia refers to a region in eastern Croatia. It seems as strange as referring to all Germans as "Saxons" since the Luther Bible was based on the Saxon dialect.

I'm aware of that, but the name of that region of Croatia was derived from an old Latin term, Sclavonia/Sclaviniae (also used in medieval Italian as Schiavone), that used to refer to the entire Serbo-Croatian area/people. It's not so much taking the name of a single region as it is returning a term to its original meaning (plus it has that retro-romantic appeal...).

Not as Catholic Serbs, no. As Catholic Yugoslavs, perhaps.

Part of the problem is terminology - part of the Serbian/Croatian identity is being Orthodox/Catholic.

That is, in generalised terms: Orthodox Serbo-Croats = Serbs, Catholic Serbo-Croats = Croatians

Well TODAY part of the Serbian and Croatian identity is Orthodoxy and Catholocism. But at the beginning of the 19th century that is not necessarily true. The problem is that a Croat and Serb identity weren't as solid in the 19th century as they are today.

I think it could have been possible to integrate Croats and Bosniaks as Roman Catholic and Muslim Serbs, but the main reason it failed was because of the threat this posed to the Habsburg Monarchy at the time.It would have lost its entire coastline and Serbs stood in the way of Austria's expansion eastward.

I'm partial to referring to Serbs/Croats/Bosniaks collectively as "Slavonians" and a united S/C/B state as "Slavonia" (Serbo-Croatian: Славонија/Slavonija), but with an independent Slovenia in the mix that could get a bit confusing :p

It could be embellished a bit and called (in English) "Slavonica", the demonym being "Slavonic".

And if we go with yugo91aesop's premise or a premise with a surviving Serbian Empire it would just be called "Serbia" anyway, so there's no need to come up with a new name.

I don't see why it would be neutral due to a multi-denominational identity - that certainly never stopped the Germans from taking defined positions in world events.

I may have not made myself clear in my first post. My intention here is to see whether a Serbian national identity that was based exclusively on language, rather htan religion, could have been achieved in the 19th century. So those people who identity today as Croats and Bosniaks would instead be considered simply Roman Catholic and Muslim Serbs.

The problem in the 19th century was that Serbia even after gaining its de-facto independence in 1830 from the Ottoman Empire never adopted as official policy or an irrdentist ideology based on the SErbian language. Instead it either supported unification only of ORthodox Serbs or it championed a Yugoslav idea.

If you compare what happened with Serbia and Croatia to Germany and Austria it would be like Austrians insisting that they are their own nation/people, that the language they speak is Austrian, not German, and that they are Austrians by nationality not Germans. And this only due to them being Catholic while the rest of Germans are Protestants.

That's what happened in the Balkans with Serbs and Croats. They speak the same language, yet for some reason they were never able to overcome their religious differences the way Germans were able to and unite as one people.

Sure in 1918 following WWI htey successfully united into a Yugoslav STATE....but they did not come together as one PEOPLE! They didn't consider themsleves Yugoslavs by nationality, but instead as Serbs, Croats etc.

So what I'm curious about is what if/how it may have been possible to overcome their religious differences. Vuk Karadzic's Pan-Serbianism was based on language just like all other national movements in Europe however it failed to integrate the Croats as Roman Catholic Serbs. Why? And what could have been done differently that maybe would have made it successful.

I have some ideas, but I wanna hear from other people

Having travelled through Croatia and Bosnia last year I actually got quite a lot of insight into this. One of the things that is very overlooked from the abstract language understanding, but is very clear on the ground, is the difference the alphabet makes. If you're used to the Latin alphabet, going into areas that use Cyrillic (as Serbia does) it seems very quickly like you're in an alien and foreign land.

If you compare what happened with Serbia and Croatia to Germany and Austria it would be like Austrians insisting that they are their own nation/people, that the language they speak is Austrian, not German, and that they are Austrians by nationality not Germans. And this only due to them being Catholic while the rest of Germans are Protestants.

Except they do. Austrians get offended if you call them Germans today, and the majority of Asutria`s population identifies themselves as Austrian. And I think the Bavarians would object to you ranking them as Protestants; the current Pope is Bavarian. That`s not even counting Swabians, Baden-Wurttemberg and Rheinlanders...

This thread could be enhanced by a better understanding of localism in the 19th century, and by a generalised understanding of the economic underpinning of nationalism.

Currently nobody has differentiated "the nation" from the intellectuals claiming to embody "the nation" and (in the 19th century) the nobility that regularly retards nationalism due to its benefits to bourgeois economic structures.

yours,
Sam R.

Croatia is a very special case. The Croatians speak three different languages: Chakavian, Kajkavian and Shtokavian, but only the shtokavian language (in Croatia those are called "dialects" for political reasons, but in reality there are so much differences between them that they can be counted as separate languages) is the only standardised literary language (based on the ijekavian subdialect, which is if you compare the map showing the dialects and an ethnic map, almost exclusively spoken by orthodox Serbs)

Shtokavian_subdialects1988.png

On this map the ijekavian subdialect is labeled as "eastern Herzegovinian".

In the 19th century the populations of Bosnia, Herzegovina, Slavonia, Slavonia and parts of Croatia Proper were considered as Serbian("Serben"), while the Croatians ("Chorwaten") were limited to the area around Zagreb (outlined blue), as you can see in this map from 1845:

croats_serbs_1845.png

The speakers of the chakavian Language are shown on a small part of the adriatic coast (outlined blue), but they were more widesprad (almost all of Istira and the islansd of the dalmatian coast).

Whole map:
http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/ser...7~160089:Ethnographische-Karte-der-Osterreic#

The austrian population statistics for the year 1851 are also very interesting:

books

Well TODAY part of the Serbian and Croatian identity is Orthodoxy and Catholocism. But at the beginning of the 19th century that is not necessarily true. The problem is that a Croat and Serb identity weren't as solid in the 19th century as they are today.
Not as solid but still distinct.
This is probably due to a long history of not being part of the same country
I think it could have been possible to integrate Croats and Bosniaks as Roman Catholic and Muslim Serbs, but the main reason it failed was because of the threat this posed to the Habsburg Monarchy at the time.It would have lost its entire coastline and Serbs stood in the way of Austria's expansion eastward.
I still disagree to being included as "Serbs" post-Ottoman Balkans, some other more "inclusively Slavic" name would be more likely.

Croatia is a very special case. The Croatians speak three different languages: Chakavian, Kajkavian and Shtokavian, but only the shtokavian language (in Croatia those are called "dialects" for political reasons, but in reality there are so much differences between them that they can be counted as separate languages) is the only standardised literary language (based on the ijekavian subdialect, which is if you compare the map showing the dialects and an ethnic map, almost exclusively spoken by orthodox Serbs)

Shtokavian_subdialects1988.png

On this map the ijekavian subdialect is labeled as "eastern Herzegovinian".

In the 19th century the populations of Bosnia, Herzegovina, Slavonia, Slavonia and parts of Croatia Proper were considered as Serbian("Serben"), while the Croatians ("Chorwaten") were limited to the area around Zagreb (outlined blue), as you can see in this map from 1845:

croats_serbs_1845.png

The speakers of the chakavian Language are shown on a small part of the adriatic coast (outlined blue), but they were more widesprad (almost all of Istira and the islansd of the dalmatian coast).

Whole map:
http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/ser...7~160089:Ethnographische-Karte-der-Osterreic#

The austrian population statistics for the year 1851 are also very interesting:

books
So basically Shtokavians are Serbs and Kajkavian and Chakavian are Croats..

as usual I'mquite appalled by the obduracy of"Greater Serbia" apologists.
Serbia-be it greater or small- was broken for good by the ottomans almost 7 centuries ago. The Croatians went their own way (the way they had already taken earlieron, if you want to listen to the Croat apologists) and the Slovenes were never under Serbian government.
In the 19th century Serbia -legally under Ottoman suzerainety - fought to gain independence: they never did too well,but thanks to the prevailing European mindset (no Christian minority under Ottoman rule) they managed to gain independence. Qualified independence, I should say: as a matter of fact they were always under the protection of A-H, and later of Russia.
The Croats never participated in this aspiration to independence: they did not find common grounds with the Orthodox serbs, and were rather interested in gaining some authonomy under the Habsburg crown. The Slovenes were even more disinterested in what happened south of the border.

After WW1, the Franco-British invented Yugoslavia, mostly as a proxy to promote stability in the Balkans and oppose Italian ambitions in the region.
The Croats and Slovenes were - willing or not - subsumed into this artificial state: Officially Yugoslavia, effectively greater Serbia.
The real feelings of the Croats were shown after the Italo-German invasion, when they embraced a (puppet) Croatian state and went on killing Serbs with glee.

What kind of POD would change this well established divide between Croats and Serbs I truly do not know. Unless the Ottomans are unsuccessful in invading Serbia, and a Serbian state has a historical continuity until present. Even in such a case I am quite sure that Hungarians and Serbs would fight over "Croatia" and that the religious divide would play against Serbs.

Yeah but Slovenes speak Kajkavian too. So you could either argue all Slovenes are really Croats or that only Cakavian speakers were Croats and the Kajkavian speaking Croats are really Slovenes.

So basically Shtokavians are Serbs and Kajkavian and Chakavian are Croats..

That's the short version, but that was more than 100 years ago.
Today catholic and muslim Shtokavians cant be counted as Serbs, since
they have developed their own national identities and so on..

Status
Not open for further replies.