What the fuck just happened?

I don't think one Torpedo would do it, the Iowa was a state of the art modern Battleship, FDR would probably survive and Iowa would be damaged

If FDR was killed in 1943. I think President Wallace could win his own term in 1944. He would get over his naive ideas about the Soviet Union before the war is over. The big problem would be his weak political skills.

The most immediate concern is, how does the war progress without the Tehran Conference, and with Henry Wallace as PotUS? Is it possible there's no D-Day invasion prior to the 1944 election, and if so, could the GOP actually have a shot that year?

Dementor

Banned
The most immediate concern is, how does the war progress without the Tehran Conference, and with Henry Wallace as PotUS? Is it possible there's no D-Day invasion prior to the 1944 election, and if so, could the GOP actually have a shot that year?
I don't think that no Tehran conference could stop D-Day, as that had been decided at this point and Wallace would push even more strongly for helping the Soviets.
As for the 1944 elections, wartime Presidents tend to have a large advantage to getting reelected and in any case, Wallace would not really have the opportunity to do something that would get him branded as a Communist sympathizer, what with the US having the USSR as an ally.

That isn't going to happen. If anything the British attempts to avoid Overlord wind up working less well for them with a US POTUS who's not remotely going to make a pretense of humoring the concept of invading the Balkans as a substitute for Overlord.

What happens during the exchange-
"Mr. President, here's a demonstration of our Anti-Aircraft guns. The Porter will be demonstrating their torpedos."
"Captain! The Porter has hit us with a live torpedo!"
"Now Mr. President we're going to demonstrate a broadside with our 16 inch guns. The Porter will be kind enough to be a target for this demonstation."

"Mr. President, here's a demonstration of our Anti-Aircraft guns. The Porter will be demonstrating their torpedos."
"Now Mr. President we're going to demonstrate a broadside with our 16 inch guns. The Porter will be kind enough to be a target for this demonstation."

:D:D:D Yeah, pretty much.

I know it's Cracked, but I checked one of their links and it's for real. These nitwits nearly blew up the USS Iowa while it was carrying Roosevelt to the Tehran Conference. WI that torpedo struck and FDR didn't make it?

As pointed out earlier, the battleship would just shrug the hit off. There may be a few fatalities, but mostly shaken nerves and light injuries.

Of course it's entirely possible that the torpedo could hit the engine room, rudder or one of the propeller shafts and force the Iowa to drop speed and there by Roosevelt misses the Tehran Conference.

As pointed out earlier, the battleship would just shrug the hit off. There may be a few fatalities, but mostly shaken nerves and light injuries.

Of course it's entirely possible that the torpedo could hit the engine room, rudder or one of the propeller shafts and force the Iowa to drop speed and there by Roosevelt misses the Tehran Conference.

Supposedly, Roosevelt came out on deck to see the torpedo. Would the deck within view of the torpedo (and, presumably, an unmoved or moved-in-the-wrong-way Iowa) be sufficient to shield Roosevelt from any damage?

I think it might be, but I don't know if there's anyway that someone on deck or in the President's quarters could be killed by a lucky torpedo.

If you wanted the Porter to knock off FDR by accident, I think an accident with an AA gun blowing him away as he stood on deck is more probable.

A film would be amusing. Can't think of a cast list though...

This is sig worthy.:D