WI Star Trek:Phase 2

In 1977 there was a plan to start a new ST series called Phase 2. This would have seen Kirk etc set off on a new set of adventures.

If the series had started would some of the themes and elements in ST:TNG be on screen 10 years earlier?

Well, many things from TNG were taken from Phase II. Decker became (with some rejiggering) riker's character concept. Ditto for Illia into Troi. "The Child" and "Devil's Due" were originally written as scripts for Phase II. It likely would have shared some other themes with TNG if it'd gotten going. Brainbin would know more, he did the update on how Phase II ends up getting made in the TL I've been working on (Eyes turned Skyward) The post from him is here, the whole thread can be found in my sig if you like space stuff.

Last edited:
I would have perhaps preferred Phase 2. I like TNG, don't get me wrong, but Trek went to pieces after that (well, maybe after DS9). Likewise, I like TOS, and Phase II would have been TOS 2.0. The Uniforms would have been Original Series type, with additions based on the Original Series, the characters, the enemies, and so on.

I will note, it would have made a different Star Trek Universe. Canon is, after all, made up on the fly. Kitumba, for example, would have made for a very different Klingon Empire (and one in which "Klingons" were only the word for the warriors of their species).

I expect that once Phase II runs its course, there won't likely be more spin offs.

Well, many things from TNG were taken from Phase II. Decker became (with some rejiggering) riker's character concept. Ditto for Illia into Troi. "The Child" and "Devil's Due" were originally written as scripts for Phase II.

Wouldn't need rejiggering. From the start, Decker and Illia were supposed to have been the Riker and Troi. When the series was canceled, those character types were reused/used as intended for TNG.

I will note that Stephen Collin is 9 to 1 not going to play him. He joined The Motion Picture because he was interested in working with Robert Wise. That was it.

It would have used some idead of TNG

The science officer Xon was supposed to be a vulcan who was trying to disover his emotions ie Data

Decker and Illya were Riker and Troi

The question is if Shatner would have stayed on after the first 13 episodes or left

I agree, probably wouldnt have worked and probably would have killed trek for a decade or so

The science officer Xon was supposed to be a vulcan who was trying to disover his emotions ie Data

The question is if Shatner would have stayed on after the first 13 episodes or left

I agree, probably wouldnt have worked and probably would have killed trek for a decade or so

Even if that had happened it could still have led to a new series. (TNG started in 1987)

If it works, then there's a very good chance of spinoffs, which were increasing in popularity during that era. It's not hard to imagine a breakout recurring character getting his or her own series.

I don't know Xon was supposed to be that. From what I heard, the whole thing he was a full blooded Vulcan, so he didn't have any contact to human emotion or problems with it.

And Shatner would have stayed. He stayed for all the films. Star Trek made him money. Frankly, no offense to him, but without it, he'd have just been an average character actor with a string of appearances in a variety of shows but nothing solid or famous.

If it works, then there's a very good chance of spinoffs, which were increasing in popularity during that era. It's not hard to imagine a breakout recurring character getting his or her own series.

Trapper Bones, M.D.
Murder, Scotty Wrote
Tiberius J. Hooker
Spock Headroom

I bet they wouldn't, not when produced in 1977.
More likely beige flares and the Federation badge on chunky medallions :eek:

("BeeGees In Spaaaaace!")

They were. Look up the screen tests. They were TOS uniforms, plus new uniforms but ones still based on the TOS ones. They had set under construction, scripts, costumes, and everything nearly ready to go before they decided to make a movie.