British Chile - Plausible ?

What is the possibility of Chile (or roughly the same area ) becoming a British colony rather than Spanish? I wonder what the conciquences of this would be. Is there a POD that would allow this to happen?

Sorry if this has been discussed before but my search function is faulty.

Well when the Spanish were first colonising the region England (the Acts of Union weren't for another couple hundred years) I don't think they really had the manpower or resources to seriously challenge them, so unless you have a point of departure where the English discover the Americas first they're going to start off as Spanish territory. After that I'm still not sure if they have the wherewithal up until the various Spanish territories proclaimed their independence during the Napoleonic wars, and even then when the British tried to intervene it went rather badly for them. Plus in the end they pretty much got exactly what they wanted, they were able to dominate most of South America economically with their informal empire whilst having none of the expenses associated with formal colonies. Until later periods when guano and copper became valuable was there much incentive for them to try and grab land on the Pacific?

It isn't totally implausible if we're talking about southern Chile, the region controlled by the Mapuche Indians, in OTL they were never conquered by the Spanish and they were only subdued by the mid-1800s. The British could pull an alliance with them in the same way they did with the Nicaragua's Miskito Indians and Chile was a strategic to control the Strait of Magellan, well, I don't see why not.

It isn't totally implausible if we're talking about southern Chile, the region controlled by the Mapuche Indians, in OTL they were never conquered by the Spanish and they were only subdued by the mid-1800s. The British could pull an alliance with them in the same way they did with the Nicaragua's Miskito Indians and Chile was a strategic to control the Strait of Magellan, well, I don't see why not.

Combine that with a successful Southern Cone expidition in 1808 or 1810, and we have out OP

True, but mixing this into a British Patagonia idea kinda takes the focus away from the Chilean part. The Chilean part of British Patagonia would be the backwater area of the state, along with the southernmost part. If British Chile is your intention it's a bit of a roundabout way of going about.