AHC: Draw the Ideal Map of Post-WWI Europe

With the amazing power of hindsight, what do you think would have been the most ideal way to redraw the borders of the European nations (and the Ottoman Empire, if you like) following WWI so as to best avoid further conflict? Please post your maps here.

Well it gets kind of awkward because certain changes will inevitably piss off one ethnic group or another, so in many cases there aren't any real right choices.

Well, there are some straightforward changes that ought to have happened. One, either the Entente took a fully consistent view on building ethnic states in Europe, and they don't ban Anschluss, or something as absurd as awarding land from a losing party to a nonbelligerent state does not happen. Either would have strengthened the credibility of the Versailles peace to a significant extent.

wormyguy

Banned
europe.jpg

Best way to achieve this would probably be for the Christmas Truce to become a full-scale mutiny eventually impacting every military in Europe.

OK, Beedok, I magnified your map so it's easier to see. Can you describe how everything's been carved up and what the name of each new nation is?

Beedok Post-WWI Europe (Big).png

Beedok Post-WWI Europe (Big).png

Last edited:
I agree mostly with the map. I would give Luxemburg to Germany, as well as that green area around Dresden. I would also give Armenia its own state, as well as the Kurds. East Prussia would be better off split between Lithuania and Poland, or independent to keep the whole Polish Corridor issue away, and I would make Ireland independent. Maybe give Italy Dalmatia to keep them quiet for a bit.

Ideal map is highly subjective, if you mean ideal to pretty much mean 'no WWII' or something, Beedok's map is out. No way splitting up the German Empire like that would last for long, and the space filling nations would have plenty of ethnic issues and other concerns.

I agree mostly with the map. I would give Luxemburg to Germany, as well as that green area around Dresden.

So you are fine with the other German speaking areas cut off or barred from being with Germany?

East Prussia would be better off split between Lithuania and Poland, or independent to keep the whole Polish Corridor issue away,

Better in that now even *more* Germans are under foreign rule than in OTL? That will sit well I'm sure.

Maybe give Italy Dalmatia to keep them quiet for a bit.

With the Yugoslavia also having eaten Bulgaria, giving Italy the Dalmatia would only lay the seeds for a war between the two nations.

This operates on the assumption that I've been granted ASB-like powers to draw whatever borders I want...

Basically:

- Dismembered Germany/A-H, divided into three EU-like economic unions.
- Restored Bohemia
- Polonia Ultra (kinda...)
- Slavonia ("Yugoslavia" limited to Serbo-Croatian speaking areas)
- Greater Slovenia
- Slovakia
- Transylvania
- Assorted miscellany...

Ideal WWI.png

Ideal map is highly subjective, if you mean ideal to pretty much mean 'no WWII' or something, Beedok's map is out. No way splitting up the German Empire like that would last for long, and the space filling nations would have plenty of ethnic issues and other concerns.

Avoiding WWII would be a good goal.

As I am terrible at making maps I would suggest these differences:
(German speaking) South Tirol to Austria.
Bratislava (which I believe had a small plurality of German speakers) to Austria.
Southern Sudetenland to Austria
Southern (Hungarian speaking) Slovakia to Hungary
Western (Hungarian speaking) Romenia to Hungary
German speaking Belgium to Germany
Danzig to Germany
In the corridor a plebiscite to decide if they want to become Polish or German.
I am not sure what to do with the rest of sudetenland. Giving them to Germany doesn't seem right, giving them to Austria creates a realy weird border and I am not sure if giving them to Chechoslovakia is a good idea.
Also I need some idea to prevent Yugoslavia, if only to avoid the mess that happened in the 1990's.

The rest of the borders seem relatively fine to me.

Bratislava (which I believe had a small plurality of German speakers) to Austria.

That may be, but an enclave of Austrian held land surrounded by Czechslovakia (assuming it exists) will cause problems. Even if the Slovaks become their own nation, the most important city of the nation would be held by Austria.

Western (Hungarian speaking) Romenia to Hungary

Transylvania can be a contentious issue for Hungarians and Romanians, but the area can be safely said to be a thorn in the side of whoever holds it. Even if a Second Vienna Award-esque event happens, it will still have tensions between the two ethnic groups.

Also I need some idea to prevent Yugoslavia, if only to avoid the mess that happened in the 1990's.

Uh, WWI is a long ways before the Yugoslav wars. I'm positive there are TLs of a surviving Yugoslavia, regardless of it has a Monarchy/whatever government type or not. From my sparse knowledge of the nation, having an Interwar Yugoslavia without nearly as much Serbian chauvinism would help stop the ethnic strife later on.