Could We Start an AH Publishing Company?

Just curious, given my naive optimism, would it at all be possible for us to organize collectively in order to found a publishing arm? Something legitimate where we take written AH material and publish it for sale?

We'll probably going to be paying out more in copyright than bringing in in sales.

It'd likely be a percentage deal. Enough to make a profit against the cost of distribution of and upkeep.

I'm not referring to publishing previously publish AH material if that's what you mean. I'm talking about our material, and our writers, and potentially nonpublished AH authors outside of AH.Com.

Sure we could. All we need is enough money, and we have a lot of people here, many of them with connections...

Sure we could. All we need is enough money, and we have a lot of people here, many of them with connections...

Well, we could fundraise somehow. Or otherwise gather investor interest (though that would entail further division of profit among a larger pool, and also perhaps require percentage of profit differences depending on investor demands).

Who knows who involved in what?

A bunch of nerds who fight over map colors collaborating to make a company dedicated to an extremely niche market? I don't mean to rain on parades, but, well, it'll probably need actual professionals to get anywhere.

A bunch of nerds who fight over map colors collaborating to make a company dedicated to an extremely niche market? I don't mean to rain on parades, but, well, it'll probably need actual professionals to get anywhere.

The only color that matters is green, at the end of the day.

But, isn't this somewhat bad timing? In fact, possibly fatal?

After the traditional bizmodel has weakened, but new profitable epublishing has NOT yet surfaced. It's possible that publishing may become an terrible-margin market where you make 1 cent per book and can't even make your rent.

After you face competition from this site.

And alternate history's growing stale in the market.

Not saying it's impossible, but a CHALLENGE. Today's publishing blogs are long on depression and layoffs.

Last edited:
Also, ebook piracy is likely the easiest thing in the world to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea in theory, but it'll need a lot of work and a dedicated core group.

Also, ebook piracy is likely the easiest thing in the world to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea in theory, but it'll need a lot of work and a dedicated core group.
I totally agree with omega21. There is also the matter of the fact that profits are likely to be insignificant. As someone who has got short stories posted on edited websites I have made practically nothing over the years.

In addition, there is a matter of winnowing out the good from the bad. I don't post anything that does not go through some form of review and when it gets dropped then that is a fact of life as a writer. That famous names can successfully put out tripe is because they have already made a name for themselves and can sell on that rather than content.

As names will be unknown some one is going to have to sit and review works and reject not only the rubbish, but also the not very good. I do that on one website because for every three reviews I do I may submit one story (and I am well behind on the number I can). I have no problem with doing this for another website/company if it gives me access to publishing opportunities. Any one else volunteering to be Mr Nasty?

It's the 21st century, just form a group, call it a publishing company, and sell approved material for the kindle for 2.99 a pop.

How about an alternate history e-book library? A place where e-books, with formats for the nook, kindle, and other reading devices in addition to .pdfs, can be freely downloaded?

Yes, the BIRT guys and myself have found that even when you have a cool idea it is very difficult to bring it to fruition or even to get your supposed collaborators to show up to meetings.

Anyway the first point to agree on was that it wouldn't be a profit seeking enterprise and probably digital only. I looked at something like this (Such as an annual Turtledoves/Best of AH.COM anthology) for BIRT and it comes down to the fact that at POD prices you are going to be hard pressed to get customers. Nevermind after the markup to cover copyright fees and other expenses.

Another thing to keep in mind. While it may seem simple to just grab Scribus and some stories and throw together an ebook as we have found at BIRT the legalities and other redtape involved are a massive (And often expensive) PITA.

How about an alternate history e-book library? A place where e-books, with formats for the nook, kindle, and other reading devices in addition to .pdfs, can be freely downloaded?
An AH Project Gutenberg?
That would be cool. Of course we would have to be scrupulous on clearing copyright or whomever is running the site could get in significant trouble.

Well, for said project, lots of stuff can be found on Wikipedia. There's also "Strange Maps", which got quite a lot of attention.

Yeah, if we made a Kindole Based Company, or at least groups we could have titles such as.
For All the Marbles.
Swaem of the Somme.
Alternate Governments
(That thing by Ephriam _ R..).
A.S.B. Settings.

and other stuff.