Plausible expansions for micronations

In here because most will need a Pre-1900 PoD

The idea is to post PoDs that could quite clearly and logically lead to very small nations (particularly those of luxembourg size or lest) expanding greatly relative to their size.

To throw a couple of these out, had a more lenient tax on Lemon exports been instituted in Monaco in the 1840s, it's quite possible that the cities of Menton and Roquebrune would remain part of the principality, increasing her size tenfold.

Similarly, a slightly different wording to the treaty granting independence of the Vatican City where independence is granted 'within the ancient walls' of the city leads us to a Vatican which looks like this:

Vatican.jpg

San Marino can have a chance to expand in Napoleonic times. There were proposals to have it stretching to sea. But I am not sure on how this could last after 1815.

Luxembourg could also retain its western areas (that were ceded to Belgium OTL) given proper PODs. Suppose that the Belgian Revolution is stillborn, and the personal union between the Netherlands and Luxembourg is still dissolved.

Somes 'royal states' in india may have lasted longer? sultanates of the malay islands?

These aren't micronations.

In any case the Malay sultanates did quite well- they're currently federal states of Malaysia and the Sultans are still in power as constitutional monarchs.

Luxembourg could also retain its western areas (that were ceded to Belgium OTL) given proper PODs. Suppose that the Belgian Revolution is stillborn, and the personal union between the Netherlands and Luxembourg is still dissolved.
I was thinking about that too. The problem though is that if the Belgian revolt is unsuccesful, I think it is likely that Luxemburg will be incorporated in the Netherlands. So I think a less succesful Belgian revolt is a better POD, in which the Dutch king manages to keep all of Luxemburg (maybe because of Prussian intervention). So the rest of Belgium still seceeds, Luxemburg is still disconnected from the Netherlands and the personal union between the Netherlands and Luxemburg still ends.

A state no longer, but Hong Kong grew in several stages, leasing more Chinese territory (I'm pretty sure it was these leases running out that forced unification, not the island of Hong Kong which was British outright)

Rome began as a single, not-very-big city. England (Wessex) and Switzerland also started small.

Depend. The Sultanate of Brunei is small quite, by example.

If the Bolkiahs retain or regain the Bulk of the Borneo, Palawan and Mayi(Luzon) Brunei will not be a microstate but they need to pull a Lithuania(promptly convert to Catholicism), be lucky and be loyal to each other for that to happen, the Bolkiahs acted like Plantagenets that fought for their inheritance.

Last edited:
The Maldives could get the Laccadive Islands on independence as well.

Not very plausible- there are no historical associations between the Maldives and Lakhshwadeep. The islands have always been under the jurisdiction of a mainland state (Kannur, then Mysore, then the Madras Presidency).

The rulers of Luxemburg were Holy Roman emperors for most of the 14th century and the first third of the 15th. If the line doesn't die out, a Luxemburg, instead of a Hapsburg, could marry the heir to Burgundy and merge their territories into a greater Luxemburg.

Would Luxembourg still exist, and perhaps seizes some of Wallonia's east, in ATL?

Luxembourg was around in the 14th century at the least; they in fact preceded the Habsburgs as an Imperial dynasty. So, somehow prevent Philip the Good from acquiring the Duchy of Luxembourg and it can very well survive to the present with its 15th century borders.