1 party American system

Ok, I posted an idea like this awhile ago, but got stuck in the WWI question. So now I propose an idea which is purely American in politics.

Its POD is pre 1900s, but its 1896, so don't bug me.

William Jennings Bryan: Not a likely canidate anyway. He doesn't get to make his cross of gold speach (he almost wasn't anyway OTL) and a much more Cleavland like canidate gets the nomination. The election is even less close then OTL, with the Populists winning several western states with Watson as their canidate (Bryan is too late to go for them at this point.) McKinely wins.

Bryan then either becomese a senator or the governor of Nebraska as a Populists (there were severall Populist governors and senators). He becomes the figure head of the party, and their canidate in 1900, where he does his same grass roots get out the vote campaign he does OTL, and wins solidly in the West.

Democratic Party: Having lost its western support, and at this point having little power in the north, the party becomes completely dominated by the south again. Almost all Democratic senators and congressmen are from the south. The party takes a reactionary route rather then a progressive route.

McKinely: Bassically the same as OTL. Considering the popularity of the anarchists, lets assume he gets assasinated anyway.

Roosevelt: Here's the thing that many people just don't seem to realise: Labour is not necessarily always politicaly apposed to big bussiness. Roosevelt and McKinely to a lesser exstent were popular both with bussiness and the unions etc. Neither side got all they wanted, but it was a whole lot better then what was then the alternative. If the Republican party keeps up the way it was going, as a progressive right wing party, it could still maintain popularity among both the white collars and the blue collars. And of course the black vote will go for the Republicans or sometimes the Populists, who would be stronger in the west. My guess is that with less oposition thus more popularity, he would seek a third maybe fourth term. If not, I think he would still again be the choice canidate in 1912, going over Taft. The Democrats would choose a more conservative canidate then progressive Wilson. Just to stop arguments, lets say WWI happens about the same as OTL.

Pershing: In this more progressive Republican party, instead of turning to lessez-faire canidates, they would go for slightly more big government folks like Pershing, who was also very disciplined, and a war hero to boot. He would have made an excellent president, and would have been much more active in world politics. One thing about him was that he was certain that the Soviet Union was going to be a major threat in the future, and even considered taking them out militarily. Whatever the case, he would have had an active role in stopping both Communism and possibly some facism. (maybe not Italian, but possibly German.) He'd probably serve from 1920-28.

Then FDR comes in. I'll continue soon.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Democratic societies like the United States or the United Kingdom can never continue long as single party states. Factions always develop which eventually split into new parties. This happened after the demise of the Federalists, when the Democratic-Republicans eventually split into the Democrats and the Whigs.

And even in states that are technically single party, you will always have factions which are de facto political parties. Before 1964 in Texas, for example, the Democrats were the only game in town; a Texan Republican was about as rare as a chicken with hooves. But you had conservative Texas Democrats and moderate Texas Democrats, which essentially operated as two different parties. ANd after 1964, the conservative Texas Democrats transformed themselves into the Texas Republicans (which is why so many Texas Republicans, odd as it seems, are former Democrats).

As I'll show in more detail later, the party is going to be devided. It has a united executive branch, which means a united judicial branch, but the legislative branch becomes more regional. Also, Democrats and Populists are powerful in local politics in this TL. Just not big enough for national.

Um. . . interesting theory, though I don't think there's any real evidence for it considering how much people hate each other in the US. . . in my annalysis I'm trying to suggest a historical situation where parties become less important then other political factors. If anyone ever actually comments on the history, I'll continue.

The good thing about America is that we have two decent political parties, neither of which is too incredibly radical.

reformer said:
The good thing about America is that we have two decent political parties, neither of which is too incredibly radical.

Yes, and they operate in collusion to keep other political parties out of the system.

Torqumada

Just in case someone actually read my connecting time line, here's a list of presidents.

The localised sects are Progressive Republican, pro labour, much more liberal, Federal Republican, middle road, keep the policies of TR and Pershing, support of the immigrant vote, Agrarian Republican, somewhat more populist, though with the support of the railroads and western bussiness, and Moderate Republican, more traditional Lessez-faire pro-bussiness. Canidates rarely run against each other, though nominating conventions are more of a fight. Different geographic areas are connected to a faction, and therefor that faction recieves the nomination. The president is a unifying figure in the party, and only light comprimise is necessary. The Populists are in the west, untill a small urban populist movement starts under Al Smith, which wins in 1928, but doesn 't gain the house, and looses the senate very quickly, and proves almost powerless. and the Democrats are just in the old south, and are very conservative.

McKinely (R) 1896-1901 (assasination)
Roosevelt (R) 1905-1908
Taft: (R) 1908-1912
Roosevelt (R, not Bull Moose) 1912-1920
Pershing (Federal Republican)1920-1928
Al Smith (Populist) 1928-1932
F.D. Roosevelt (1932-1940) looses nomination after attempting third term)
VP and Long term Republican Charles Daws (1940-1944, comprimise canidate, Moderate Republican. Declines to run again due to his age.)
Dewey (1944-1952, popular among both moderates and progressives)
Macarthur (Federal Republican) 1952-1964
Goldwater (Populist) 1964-. . . coalition between libertarian populists and populists Democrats, so that Wallace is VP.

A party state is essentially a no party state.

Arkansas is another good example of what you get when one party (the Democrats in this case) run it long enough. Various wings of the party, and a more work for consensus because there is less party discipline if it's all one party. Which is a good thing IMO if you only have two parties.

Oh, and from the perspective of Canada (and most other parliamentary system countries, and even more so from countries that use proportional representation) the two US parties are really really similar.

Straha

Banned
why not have the GOP make some more errors in the 30's through 50's so we see the dems ruling from 1933-?

Well, the Dems are the party of the south, and have little support elsewhere. If there is a party split with the Populists, the Democrats would be completely southern dominant. I had a Populist in 28, but the way things work in this TL, I don't see how anyone other then a Republican can stay powerful in politics for a period of time. It requires conventions nominating leaders who can keep the party more or less united. As long as this continues, there are no problems.

I think we will soon have a one and two third parties system.
I think the last of the real (Hillary Clinton) Republicans will split off from the Republicans and join with the middle class Democrats to form a moderate party (fiscally conservative and socially liberal) called something like "Social Contract", and the religious right (Republican) and ethnic minority (Democratic) factions will form two third parties (socially conservative and fiscally liberal) that will have a combined 50% of the vote and about a combined 25% of the House and Senate, with about 5% of the power.
In a generation these two third parties will combine into a new party that will probably assume power mostly on demographic grounds. The rednecks, brownskins, and blacks have more children than the white people. It is inevitable that they will take over some day. Probably the next few Republican presidents will be black or brown.
I find it amusing that the Democratic party keeps going on and on about how spendthrift the Republicans are. It's doing their advertising for them for free. The whole point of the Republican party is to spend money on people who will vote for them or contribute money to them to buy ads to get people to vote for them. Ditto the welfare fringe of the Democrats.
They write books like "What's The Matter With Kansas" as if they thought that Kansas cares how much taxes are raised instead of how much spending is increased. As if Kansas was thinking that it was going to be paying off the national mortgage instead of New York, etc.
When the dollar renormalizes and Kansas realises that it is in fact going to be paying off the national mortgage, then and only then will Kansas be concerned about budget deficits.
So yeah, I do think we will convert to a de facto one party system fairly soon.

I'd like to see that... I'd love to have a party of moderates and keep the fringes of right and left out in the political wilderness...

reformer said:
Just in case someone actually read my connecting time line, here's a list of presidents.

The localised sects are Progressive Republican, pro labour, much more liberal, Federal Republican, middle road, keep the policies of TR and Pershing, support of the immigrant vote, Agrarian Republican, somewhat more populist, though with the support of the railroads and western bussiness, and Moderate Republican, more traditional Lessez-faire pro-bussiness. Canidates rarely run against each other, though nominating conventions are more of a fight. Different geographic areas are connected to a faction, and therefor that faction recieves the nomination. The president is a unifying figure in the party, and only light comprimise is necessary. The Populists are in the west, untill a small urban populist movement starts under Al Smith, which wins in 1928, but doesn 't gain the house, and looses the senate very quickly, and proves almost powerless. and the Democrats are just in the old south, and are very conservative.

McKinely (R) 1896-1901 (assasination)
Roosevelt (R) 1905-1908
Taft: (R) 1908-1912
Roosevelt (R, not Bull Moose) 1912-1920
Pershing (Federal Republican)1920-1928
Al Smith (Populist) 1928-1932
F.D. Roosevelt (1932-1940) looses nomination after attempting third term)
VP and Long term Republican Charles Daws (1940-1944, comprimise canidate, Moderate Republican. Declines to run again due to his age.)
Dewey (1944-1952, popular among both moderates and progressives)
Macarthur (Federal Republican) 1952-1964
Goldwater (Populist) 1964-. . . coalition between libertarian populists and populists Democrats, so that Wallace is VP.
Interesting list. Noting that you had considered dropping Taft, I would do so.

Dave Howery said:
I'd like to see that... I'd love to have a party of moderates and keep the fringes of right and left out in the political wilderness...
Would it happen like that?